Betta Fish Forum banner

How do you know/decide?

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  laughing 
#1 ·
I have 3 bettas... I love them all to death. Unfortunately lately I have been traveling a lot (in state) and rarely at 'home'. That's where all 3 stay. I've asked if they can stay where I am most of the time and it's a no. I then asked my mom if she'll water change and clean their tanks and that's a no, she'll only feed them.

It's a huge hassle figuring out when to get back to clean them... I upped the sizes on their tanks (10 gallon and 5 gallons) but the water evaporates so fast I can't stay on top of it and it scares me that their heaters will break from lack of water.

I love all 3 SO much and I really enjoy owning them. I do wonder if it'd be easier if I rehomed them, though.. But then I think I'd be missing them too much...

How do you know when it's time? Or what's right?

#2 ·
How is the water evaporating that fast? Do the tanks have lids?
If you want to keep your babies, and your moms willing to feed them, maybe get a large tub, dechlorinate it, and keep it handy for you mom to top off the water? That isn't a lot of work at all for her.

#4 ·
I have NO idea. It stumps me. I fill the water up, 5 days later they're half full! They have full hoods and nice lights for the plants.

She refuses to. At all. She says "She'll mess up" and even if I set everything up for her she refuses to saying "It's not her job" and it's "too much work"...I don't think topping off water is 'work' but it's her own choice..

#5 ·
Then how do I choose which one?? My girl is my first and full of personality but isn't flashy, the second is a piebald green boy who I love watching but doesn't have as much personality as my third who I got from a breeder. :-(

#6 ·
Well i wouldn't force it on her, she obviously won't do it. Any friends that like fish? Maybe try and find someone on this site that could send you photos? :/
I hate thinking about this, if I don't get into the university in my hometown, I might be left with this decision a year from now if the university isnt fish friendly.. Its hard to let go, I'm sure..

#8 ·
It is and I don't want to... I just don't know how I'm supposed to decide...

None of my friends are into fish. They think bowls and monthly water changes are sufficient and don't want to learn. :-( But I won't ship them, either.

#10 ·
I posted it all up on the classifieds...If I find the right owners I will rehome them all. If I only find 1 or 2 I will do that I suppose...

Not something I want to do!!! I'm hurting. :-(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.