I would focus on the hydrogen sulfide. It can be lethal in relatively low concentrations. First, check if the rotten eggs issue is limited to your house / building or if it encompasses whole blocks. If only a handful of rooms or buildings are affected, it is probably a problem in the plumbing (water stagnation) and you will have to figure it out on your own. If it is widespread, it concerns to the city council and the community should demand a solution.
If nothing can be done to prevent hydrogen sulfide from appearing in your tap water, the best you can do is to acquire an ozone generator system. Ozone consumes ammonia and unlike chlorine, it naturally volatilize from water or decays into oxygen without leaving pesky residuals. Remember to wait for a while when trying to detect any hydrogen sulfide, since it numbs the sense of smell quickly after perceiving it.