Good Betta Companions? - Page 4 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Namialus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
No, that's for the filtering. Add aquarium salt to the tank (1/4 tsp per gallon) to get rid of the ich.

Would that do it alone?

Also, for my QT, I'm thinking I'll have some salt in the tank when I first put him in just in case.

10 gallon:
1 Dwarf Gourami - Balin
8 Neon Tetras
1 Otocinclus

RIP Plagueis.
Namialus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Member
 
Kiara1125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arcadia, FL
Posts: 1,505
It all depends on how strong the strain of ich is. You can try it out and see what that does, but I wouldn't worry about him getting ich. Just make sure that he's happy and cared for.

100g Native Fish Pond, 55g Goldfish/Catfish Community, 50g Plant Pond, 40gB Tetra/Cory Community, 20gHM Community, 20gH Turtle (Bender [RES]), 20gL Turtle (Kif [YBS]), 15g Reef, 5.5g Betta (Okami), 5gFBH Betta (Pron), 5gHex Betta (Twister)

2 dogs, 13 cats, 2 turtles, 1 bearded dragon and 1 crested gecko


Kiara1125 is offline  
post #33 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:51 PM
TFK Moderator
 
RussellTheShihTzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 11,136
You can see ich. Don't buy a Betta with little white spots all over it. Google ich images and you'll see what we mean.

And don't put aquarium salt in the quarantine tank; it's superfluous.

A Moderator's Advice is Not Sacrosanct
My 55-Year Addiction: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....13#post6857113
RussellTheShihTzu is online now  
post #34 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Namialus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
It all depends on how strong the strain of ich is. You can try it out and see what that does, but I wouldn't worry about him getting ich. Just make sure that he's happy and cared for.
I worry too much. Thanks!

10 gallon:
1 Dwarf Gourami - Balin
8 Neon Tetras
1 Otocinclus

RIP Plagueis.
Namialus is offline  
post #35 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Namialus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
You can see ich. Don't buy a Betta with little white spots all over it. Google ich images and you'll see what we mean.

And don't put aquarium salt in the quarantine tank; it's superfluous.
I mean what if it happens during QT..

Ok. Thanks!

10 gallon:
1 Dwarf Gourami - Balin
8 Neon Tetras
1 Otocinclus

RIP Plagueis.
Namialus is offline  
post #36 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Member
 
Kiara1125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arcadia, FL
Posts: 1,505
I was talking about using aquarium salt for ich. It kills them (the heat speeds up their life cycle) when they fall off the fish before they can reproduce. It's only superfluous if you're not treating ich.

100g Native Fish Pond, 55g Goldfish/Catfish Community, 50g Plant Pond, 40gB Tetra/Cory Community, 20gHM Community, 20gH Turtle (Bender [RES]), 20gL Turtle (Kif [YBS]), 15g Reef, 5.5g Betta (Okami), 5gFBH Betta (Pron), 5gHex Betta (Twister)

2 dogs, 13 cats, 2 turtles, 1 bearded dragon and 1 crested gecko


Kiara1125 is offline  
post #37 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 PM
TFK Moderator
 
RussellTheShihTzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 11,136
+1 Kiara

A Moderator's Advice is Not Sacrosanct
My 55-Year Addiction: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....13#post6857113
RussellTheShihTzu is online now  
post #38 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Namialus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North
Posts: 461
Now to convince my parents...

10 gallon:
1 Dwarf Gourami - Balin
8 Neon Tetras
1 Otocinclus

RIP Plagueis.
Namialus is offline  
post #39 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Member
 
Kiara1125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arcadia, FL
Posts: 1,505
Thanks, Russell! :D

Anyways, Namialus, it's not that hard. Just state the facts. The bettas won't get stressed (after they settle down), they'll be active and have something to do, they won't hurt each other, and you get to have more than one fish! Plus, it's only 2 bettas in a 10. I've divided my 10g and had 4 bettas in it. At least you'll get to see them interact with each other. I just use type 7 mesh from Joann Fabrics and binder clips. The binder clips holds the mesh in place and the bettas can't push trough it. Yes, they can see each other, but my bettas will just flare a bit and swim really fast back and forth the length of the divider. But, they don't do this constantly. They'll do their own thing and you get to see every bit of personality from the bettas. Honestly, I prefer divided tanks (where the bettas can see each other) over just plain betta tanks. I do have a 10g with just a single betta in it, but that's because I also have an oto, 3 red cherry shrimp, and a whole bunch of plants that I'm trying to grow out in there.

100g Native Fish Pond, 55g Goldfish/Catfish Community, 50g Plant Pond, 40gB Tetra/Cory Community, 20gHM Community, 20gH Turtle (Bender [RES]), 20gL Turtle (Kif [YBS]), 15g Reef, 5.5g Betta (Okami), 5gFBH Betta (Pron), 5gHex Betta (Twister)

2 dogs, 13 cats, 2 turtles, 1 bearded dragon and 1 crested gecko


Kiara1125 is offline  
post #40 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Namialus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Thanks, Russell! :D

Anyways, Namialus, it's not that hard. Just state the facts. The bettas won't get stressed (after they settle down), they'll be active and have something to do, they won't hurt each other, and you get to have more than one fish! Plus, it's only 2 bettas in a 10. I've divided my 10g and had 4 bettas in it. At least you'll get to see them interact with each other. I just use type 7 mesh from Joann Fabrics and binder clips. The binder clips holds the mesh in place and the bettas can't push trough it. Yes, they can see each other, but my bettas will just flare a bit and swim really fast back and forth the length of the divider. But, they don't do this constantly. They'll do their own thing and you get to see every bit of personality from the bettas. Honestly, I prefer divided tanks (where the bettas can see each other) over just plain betta tanks. I do have a 10g with just a single betta in it, but that's because I also have an oto, 3 red cherry shrimp, and a whole bunch of plants that I'm trying to grow out in there.
My mom's reasoning:

-Plagueis will get depressed. *sigh*
-We don't have space for a QT. (When in fact, we do.)
-Bamboo might hurt the betta. (WHAT?!)

10 gallon:
1 Dwarf Gourami - Balin
8 Neon Tetras
1 Otocinclus

RIP Plagueis.
Namialus is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Betta Companions manojvaz Betta Fish Compatibility 12 05-16-2013 05:34 PM
Betta Companions Tootsie Betta Fish Compatibility 4 03-08-2013 11:23 AM
Companions for betta tank? FuulieQ Betta Fish Compatibility 3 01-20-2010 04:20 PM
betta centered 10 Gal tank-companions? sakemomo Betta Fish Compatibility 16 01-30-2008 12:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome