Considering a sorority, what do I need to know? - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 36
Considering a sorority, what do I need to know?

Hello everyone! I am considering beginning a sorority in my 10 gallon tank since I finally found a place that sells female bettas.

I have never had more than one fish per tank so I'm not sure what the process is for this. The 10 gallon is heated, filtered, etc. I just need to know what the limitations for this are and how well it has worked for most people.

Thank you!
IsisWings is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 03:39 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 25
Start out by getting no more than three. Then every other week slowly increase the amount of fish.

Why is my BLOO so perfect???

2.5 Gallon Tank with NEON theme.
Check it out... 🐠🐟🐬🐳 Just keep swimmin🐳🐬🐟🐠
Betta Luver0201 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Member
 
Elsewhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,686
Plants, plants, PLANTS! STUFF that thing! If you think there are enough, add more! Add as many hiding places as possible too. I currently have 6 girls in my 10 gallon and soon to be 8- I didn't slowly put them in, but I did QT every single one for 14 days and then added them in all at once. I've added additional girls to the mix a few times, and I've never had a problem. Congrats on considering one, they're so much fun!

55 Gallon: Crowley: Melanoid Axolotl; Mischa: Melanoid Axolotl; Achlys: Albino Axolotl; Eddard Stark: Leucistic Axolotl
Furry Friends: Daisy and Holly: Dogs; Norman and August: Cats; Gilbert and Mordecai: Guinea Pigs
Elsewhere is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Member
 
Canis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Luver0201 View Post
Start out by getting no more than three. Then every other week slowly increase the amount of fish.
Sorry, but I have to counter this here. Start out with four or five, and add them all at the same time. With two, one may fight the other to death for dominance. With three, two will bully the weakest one to death, and then you are left with two that will again fight for dominance. You are more evened out with four or five. My tank has 10. Heavily planted, to keep aggression to a bare minimum. Definitely don't just dump in ten though, you'll end up with a mini-cycle. The first couple of weeks may be pretty brutal, but don't remove anyone unless they attack relentlessly. Always remove the bully too, not the victim, UNLESS the victim needs medical attention, in which case you will remove both and separate the remaining 2 or 3 fish. Remember to quarantine for at least 14 days to check for any possible illnesses or parasites, etc. I did so by floating all of their cups in the 10 gallon to keep them warm, and then changing the water out every day.

Sororities have their risks, but don't let that discourage you! I love my girls to death, and they make a great addition to the betta hobby!

There are a TON of good people here willing to help you, I know all of my stuff only because of them :)
Canis is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Member
 
Elsewhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,686
+1 to Canis :D

55 Gallon: Crowley: Melanoid Axolotl; Mischa: Melanoid Axolotl; Achlys: Albino Axolotl; Eddard Stark: Leucistic Axolotl
Furry Friends: Daisy and Holly: Dogs; Norman and August: Cats; Gilbert and Mordecai: Guinea Pigs
Elsewhere is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Member
 
Fishybitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 768
I would try and keep them roughly the same size also.(ime) I had one that was smaller and the biggest one constantly picked on her nipping her fin until it was about gone. I had to separate for awhile once she grew her fin back and got bigger I added her back and she did real well.
Fishybitty is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 36
Oops, scratch this post. Browser didn't refresh the page and I didn't see the rest of the responses D;

Thank you all for responding!
IsisWings is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
Plants, plants, PLANTS! STUFF that thing! If you think there are enough, add more! Add as many hiding places as possible too. I currently have 6 girls in my 10 gallon and soon to be 8- I didn't slowly put them in, but I did QT every single one for 14 days and then added them in all at once. I've added additional girls to the mix a few times, and I've never had a problem. Congrats on considering one, they're so much fun!
Thanks so much :D Good to know you have so many and they get along well. I wasn't sure how many were appropriate for a ten gallon. I have a ton of silk plants (only downfall is it'll be a LITTLE difficult to clean the gravel with so much D;) so hopefully it'll be plenty for them to hide in.
IsisWings is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis View Post
Sorry, but I have to counter this here. Start out with four or five, and add them all at the same time. With two, one may fight the other to death for dominance. With three, two will bully the weakest one to death, and then you are left with two that will again fight for dominance. You are more evened out with four or five. My tank has 10. Heavily planted, to keep aggression to a bare minimum. Definitely don't just dump in ten though, you'll end up with a mini-cycle. The first couple of weeks may be pretty brutal, but don't remove anyone unless they attack relentlessly. Always remove the bully too, not the victim, UNLESS the victim needs medical attention, in which case you will remove both and separate the remaining 2 or 3 fish. Remember to quarantine for at least 14 days to check for any possible illnesses or parasites, etc. I did so by floating all of their cups in the 10 gallon to keep them warm, and then changing the water out every day.

Sororities have their risks, but don't let that discourage you! I love my girls to death, and they make a great addition to the betta hobby!

There are a TON of good people here willing to help you, I know all of my stuff only because of them :)
Ahhhh thank you so much for the quarantine idea. I was sitting here wondering how the heck I would manage quarantining 4-5 fish. I had planned to only put in four or five, so that should fit the bill nicely. I really appreciate the help. I have one betta in the ten gallon right now, and another five gallon I'm going to cycle and then transfer him to. So later this week I'll start looking for my female bettas and I'll update you guys on how it goes :D I appreciate all the help! I'm really nervous because I just had a sick fish die on me, so I don't know what I would do with myself if they all got sick. But I'm really excited!
IsisWings is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Member
 
Canis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 903
Awesome! Can't wait to see how it all goes :D
Canis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first sorority! Xeek Betta Chat 4 11-13-2012 08:59 PM
Sorority! Need help! Anitax3x Betta Chat 7 11-12-2011 01:56 AM
New Sorority! shinybetta Betta Chat 2 08-13-2010 09:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome