Very common questions.
I know you should only have on betta in the tank, but a tank of this size would two bettas still fight?
- In most cases, yes, they will. However some people, very few, have been able to house two male bettas with no dividers in one tank, however they stay away from each other, making territories. I would not advise you to do this. however 190 gallons is alot. you could divide it in two, then have two male bettas and other fish on each side with each betta. 80 gallons is a lot. however you can put many many female bettas in there. but it important to add them all to the tank at the same time. 190 gallons = a possible 100 females. which could either be a beautiful sorority, or a horrible blood bath.
How many fish would go well with a betta in a tank this size?
- SOOOOO many, lol. If you just put one male betta in, or don't divide the tank even for two, you have a lot of possibilities, but please remember that larger fish, WILL and DO eat bettas. With that size tank, you can put many many smaller types of fish in with bettas. These fish should NOT be housed with a betta:
- Fancy guppies, as the bettas will chew on their fins.
- Schools of barbs. Sometimes they'll go after the betta's fins.
- Aggressive fish will take on a betta. These could be tiger barbs, piranhas, bluegill, or oscars.
- Male bettas may attack dwarf gouramis or pygmy gouramis as they have a similar look to a male betta.
- Paradise Fish can grow much larger than bettas and have similar mentalities on territory. They'll go after a male betta and kill it.
- Any fish much smaller than a betta could be at risk of bullying.
- Goldfish are a disaster waiting to happen, they urine increases the the PH levels and they really aren't tropical fish, they prefer cold water.
- Any sort of crustacean, They will eat anything they can, even your betta, and a Betta is more at risk. Betta's are very curious fish and unfortunately, a slow swimmer, being at risk for being cut by the crustacean's claws and becoming food. However shrimp are safe to have, as they eat algea, not fish.
- A female betta, mostly wont work, but don't unless you plan on breeding, even though, the other fish will eat them, even your bettas. And they will fight each other.
And what plants should I be asking for?
- Plastic and silk are often used. But you can use live. Chinese Evergreen, Philodendrons, Pothos, Peace Lily, Java Fern, and Java Moss are the most commonly used.
Jazz - Male Aqua and Red Metallic Crowntail
Punchy - Male White, Purple and Black bottom lip Veiltail
Last edited by Krys; 01-05-2010 at 09:53 AM.