Just another compatibility question :) - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Smile Just another compatibility question :)

So I'm somewhat new here and I would love some friendly advice!

I have a 10 gal tank with two female Bettas in it- they're thriving! They're super cute and active and they always stick together- but the tank is kind of lonely with just the two of them in there...

Can you give me some suggestions for what kind of other fish (and how many) I could add to the tank?

I was looking at the Platys because I wanted fish that swam in the middle of the tank too :) And I was also looking at some ghost shrimp... but I've been lurking around here and there are some pretty nasty horror stories about them which makes me kind of wary..

Oh just one more thing... I can never get the PH level down! It's always pretty dang high... I bought a solution that supposably lowers the PH, but it only lasts for less than a day and then the PH goes right back up... My Bettas don't seem to have a problem with it- but I tried guppies in there a while ago and they all died with in two days... and I'm thinking that has something to do with it...

Thanks in advance for your help!
KitKat422 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Don't Mess With Texas (LoL)
Posts: 62
You shouldn't have 2 female bettas together because one will bully the other.
You should get 3 more bettas or one could be bullied to death.
And you need lots of hiding places and plants.

Armani the One & Only.... at the moment.
BabyFishie202 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Member
 
bettafish15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 2,094
PH swings can be harmful to your fish, so dont mess with it, your PH is likely fine. It can even be 8.4 or something and your fish will be fine, your just stressing them by messing with it :P Also, its recommended to have at least 3 girls in a female betta sorority, and you can have up to 6 in a 10g, so you could simply get more females, although if you got more females you wouldnt be able to add anything else to the tank.

1 Male ~ 5 Females
3 Bronze Cories
1 Hamster
Soon, 1 cornsnake!
bettafish15 is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFishie202 View Post
You shouldn't have 2 female bettas together because one will bully the other.
You should get 3 more bettas or one could be bullied to death.
And you need lots of hiding places and plants.
I've had the fish since the beginning of this school year and they've been completely fine together- the bigger one did bully the smaller one when they were in the smaller bowl- but since they've been in the 10 gal tank they've been completely nice to each other, and they're always together. It's super cute
Thank you for the suggestions though! I do have lots of plants and places to hide- they rarely use them (or at least when I'm around)

Last edited by KitKat422; 05-19-2011 at 08:26 PM.
KitKat422 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
PH swings can be harmful to your fish, so dont mess with it, your PH is likely fine. It can even be 8.4 or something and your fish will be fine, your just stressing them by messing with it :P Also, its recommended to have at least 3 girls in a female betta sorority, and you can have up to 6 in a 10g, so you could simply get more females, although if you got more females you wouldnt be able to add anything else to the tank.
Yeah.. I figured so I stopped messing with it a couple months ago- when I realized I just couldn't win..

Oh that's cool.. I may just end up getting more Betta's :)

Anyone have any advice about the platys and ghost shrimp?
KitKat422 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Member
 
bettafish15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 2,094
I think 3-4 Platys and the two girls should be fine. No more than 4. Ghost shrimp are pretty risky.

1 Male ~ 5 Females
3 Bronze Cories
1 Hamster
Soon, 1 cornsnake!
bettafish15 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I think 3-4 Platys and the two girls should be fine. No more than 4. Ghost shrimp are pretty risky.
Thank you!
KitKat422 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Member
 
turtle10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat422 View Post
I've had the fish since the beginning of this school year and they've been completely fine together- the bigger one did bully the smaller one when they were in the smaller bowl- but since they've been in the 10 gal tank they've been completely nice to each other, and they're always together. It's super cute
Thank you for the suggestions though! I do have lots of plants and places to hide- they rarely use them (or at least when I'm around)
They may get along now but sororities fall apart after years of harmony, I would definitely have at least 5-6 females total. It is just very risky to have only two.
turtle10 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Member
 
alidawn15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 128
Mystery Snails are fun to watch. Mine are a lot less boring than I expected, especially if you're looking for more color.

20High Planted
  • Neon Tetra-8
  • Mystery Snail
  • Ghost Shrimp-2
  • Guppy-1
  • Ramshorns
  • Pond Snails


Fund My Fishies!!
http://www.youravon.com/amullenix
alidawn15 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 372
4 Pygmy Corydoras is my suggestion.
http://theaquariumwiki.com/Pygmy_Cory
ollief9 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome