Female Betta Sorority - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Member
 
NCPanthersgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 542
Check this out: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428&highlight=plants

It will help you with the live plant/fake plant decision. :) I think my sorority will be live plants, but I'm still deciding on that.

*Betta's*

Boys:
Jazz {VT}, Richtofen {HMPKDS}, Riot {VT}, Gandalf {VT}, Venom {VT}, Xavier {VT}, Ganon {DT}, Po {CT}, Fate {CT}, Rorschach {VT}, Stark {HMPKDS}, Storm {HM}, Typhoon {DT}, Atari {HMDSPK}

Girls:
Mystique {CT}, Midna {HM}, Nayru {HM}, Farore {HM}, Din {HM}

*RIP*
Callisto, Alma, Starscream, Zora

NCPanthersgurl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Member
 
caitic10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 346
Your guppies should be fine. Just keep an eye out. If you see any nipping take them out for awhile.

~Please Call Me Caiti!~
caitic10 is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 PM
New Member
 
JHernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boca Raton FL
Posts: 29
No picking they do fine. Just took this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m3V9X2HzX4
JHernandez is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Member
 
MaggieLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 588
There is this floating log thing from zoo med you could get. I have been debating myself on getting this
MaggieLynn is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
TequilatheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHernandez View Post
No picking they do fine. Just took this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m3V9X2HzX4
That's so cool :D They're so peaceful together!

Thanks everyone!
TequilatheBetta is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Member
 
NCPanthersgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 542
Awesome vid :3

*Betta's*

Boys:
Jazz {VT}, Richtofen {HMPKDS}, Riot {VT}, Gandalf {VT}, Venom {VT}, Xavier {VT}, Ganon {DT}, Po {CT}, Fate {CT}, Rorschach {VT}, Stark {HMPKDS}, Storm {HM}, Typhoon {DT}, Atari {HMDSPK}

Girls:
Mystique {CT}, Midna {HM}, Nayru {HM}, Farore {HM}, Din {HM}

*RIP*
Callisto, Alma, Starscream, Zora

NCPanthersgurl is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Member
 
kathstew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 783
That video is lucky. The person got really lucky :/
You need to be prepared for a lot of fighting. Have aquarium salt, and epsom salt on hand, as well as some type of QT container. Once hierachy is created (which can take weeks to create!) fighting will be rare, but CAN AND WILL still happen.
Do A LOT of research before starting your sorority.
Will you have space to put any girls that don't work out in the sorority?
If the females are sisters, there is less chance of fighting.
You need to HEAVILY PLANT THE TANK. I repeat, HEAVILY PLANT THE TANK. They need places to hide, and get away from any fighting.
Here is my tank (since then I've added even MORE plants): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inL2VvQb-yw
Do you have experience with bettas before this? Sororities are not for beginners. I suggest owning a single betta for at least a few months before even considering a sorority. :/

Life with Lupus is still a life worth living.
Dishing out the truth one post at a time

kathstew is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 PM
New Member
 
JHernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boca Raton FL
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
That video is lucky. The person got really lucky :/
You need to be prepared for a lot of fighting. Have aquarium salt, and epsom salt on hand, as well as some type of QT container. Once hierachy is created (which can take weeks to create!) fighting will be rare, but CAN AND WILL still happen.
Do A LOT of research before starting your sorority.
Will you have space to put any girls that don't work out in the sorority?
If the females are sisters, there is less chance of fighting.
You need to HEAVILY PLANT THE TANK. I repeat, HEAVILY PLANT THE TANK. They need places to hide, and get away from any fighting.
Here is my tank (since then I've added even MORE plants): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inL2VvQb-yw
Do you have experience with bettas before this? Sororities are not for beginners. I suggest owning a single betta for at least a few months before even considering a sorority. :/



Looks like you have quite some current there. I only run my filter once a day every week and keep almond extract at healthy levels. Maybe that's why i get lucky ;)
JHernandez is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Member
 
flowerslegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Bay, California
Posts: 520
Betta sororities are tricky. They can be very peaceful for a long time and then suddenly turn. I tried a sorority and wasn't successful. All of my females, one by one, slowly took turns at being the alpha and after a while I couldn't take the carnage. After reading pages and pages of threads from this forum, the general consensus, from the most experienced betta keepers, was a sorority has about a 6 months life span. The best scenario is to get sisters from the same fry that were raised together. As Kathstew stated, please be prepared with enough cups and seperate homes for the girls you own. A long term successful sorority is a tough thing to accomplish. It's possible, just not common.

********************************
BETTAS Chewy, Tiny & Roger

25 GAL COMMUNITY TANK
3 Feather Fin Rainbow
4 Pygmy Cory's
5 Zebra Loach
2 Neon Tetra's

30 GAL GOLDFISH TANK (under construction)
1 Black Moor
1 Calico Ryunkin
1 Orange Fantail

THE ONE WHO STARTED IT ALL
Flower (Comet Goldfish) RIP
flowerslegacy is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Member
 
kathstew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHernandez View Post
Looks like you have quite some current there. I only run my filter once a day every week and keep almond extract at healthy levels. Maybe that's why i get lucky ;)
Lol, i was gonna baffle the current, but they love it! They get mad if I turn it off :P They would sit underneath the filter, waiting for the current to start back up. They love sitting under it the current and getting a "massage".
I can't use almond extract, cause my sister and I have nut allergies :/

Life with Lupus is still a life worth living.
Dishing out the truth one post at a time

kathstew is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome