Assassin snail, yo yo loach or kuhli loach? - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Member
 
Tisia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Washington state
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Assassin snail, 100%. Great with fish, small bioload and they kill other snails perfectly. Fish do good jobs but only for a short time. Trust me... get Assassins.

I'd personally set up a small tank for your mystery snails and move them out until your pest snails are gone. Assassins are easy to find new homes for.

I gag at the thought of squishing snails and pulling them out to feed.. yuck yuck yuck! I also see snails as living creatures too O_o Some are just colder than me! I have a tank full of Malaysian Trumpets, I don't mind at all.
I'm not sure why doing it personally would be considered any colder than getting something else to do it for you, the results are dead snails either way. personally I think it seems colder to bring in a new creature and then just get rid of it when it's served its purpose

Tisia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Member
 
Pitluvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 2,886
Mystery or Apple Snails are good. I have Malaysian Trumpets because I need them to dig in the sand. I also have Pond Snails, they got in on a plant, my first snail. I also have a Ramshorn snail with Nixon.

I'd love to have Assassins but they don't sell them here.


Pitluvs is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Member
 
Pitluvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
I'm not sure why doing it personally would be considered any colder than getting something else to do it for you, the results are dead snails either way. personally I think it seems colder to bring in a new creature and then just get rid of it when it's served its purpose
Ok, so killing snails is puppy dogs and rainbows compared to buying a few snails to naturally do the job and then re-homing them to someone who wants them? Your logic baffles me. PERSONALLY, if I had Assassins, I'd keep them. This person wants to keep Mystery Snails, so the only option would be to re-home them.

Don't even... you want to get snippy with me, I can get snippy right back. Let's just stop this before it starts.


Pitluvs is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Member
 
Tisia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Washington state
Posts: 1,628
I'm not being snippy, I'm just saying that it makes more sense to me to just deal with them myself if they're bothering me. if I brought in a house plant that was full of bugs that started taking over my house, I wouldn't buy a bird, I'd grab a fly swatter and a can of bug spray

Tisia is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:03 PM
New Member
 
BETTA DET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 73
Khuli loaches dont kill or eat snails so I wouldn't consider them as "snail assasins". They do clean up your substrate nicely, but as snail control they are useless. I love khulis, Ill definately be picking up 3 for my tank soon. Much more active at night in most cases. Ive always had a few in my tanks since I was a kid.

1 14 gallon filtered, heated tank: Betta FREEDOM and three platys Sunshine, Sunny, and Orange. Three live plants and a couple of hitchhiker pond snails.

Last edited by BETTA DET; 08-13-2011 at 05:11 PM.
BETTA DET is offline  
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Member
 
Shimizoki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 391
I have a few assassin snails in my tank... they will kill the other snails... Circle of life, its no different than feeding bloodworms to your bettas, or you eating a burger... You also dont have to do anything yourself.

You also don't have to rehome them... they will clean up any fish food if you over feed a tad. Any new plants you add that have snails will be cleaned up by them. low bioload means your filter wont even notice they are there.

Betta:
Males - Alpha(CT), Unnamed Dragon(HMPK)
Females - Red, Green, Teal, Blue, Pina, Helena

Dragons:
Xerxes
Shimizoki is offline  
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Member
 
Pitluvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
I'm not being snippy, I'm just saying that it makes more sense to me to just deal with them myself if they're bothering me. if I brought in a house plant that was full of bugs that started taking over my house, I wouldn't buy a bird, I'd grab a fly swatter and a can of bug spray
So you're new puppy comes home with fleas, do you remove them one by one or do you get flea treatment from your vet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
I have a few assassin snails in my tank... they will kill the other snails... Circle of life, its no different than feeding bloodworms to your bettas, or you eating a burger... You also dont have to do anything yourself.

You also don't have to rehome them... they will clean up any fish food if you over feed a tad. Any new plants you add that have snails will be cleaned up by them. low bioload means your filter wont even notice they are there.
She has mystery snails she'd like to keep :) That's the only reason I suggest re-homing them. Or if she has two tanks, she could keep them separate.


Pitluvs is offline  
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Member
 
Tisia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Washington state
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
So you're new puppy comes home with fleas, do you remove them one by one or do you get flea treatment from your vet?
I'd probably use some kind of flea medication to get rid of the majority, but if I found stragglers I would have no issues with squishing them instead of waiting for them to die off on their own

Tisia is offline  
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Member
 
Shimizoki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 391
I would think that Mystery snails are far too large to be attacked my assassins. They will get to be twice the size, maybe more.

I am no expert in this though... I could very easily be wrong.

Betta:
Males - Alpha(CT), Unnamed Dragon(HMPK)
Females - Red, Green, Teal, Blue, Pina, Helena

Dragons:
Xerxes
Shimizoki is offline  
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Member
 
Tisia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Washington state
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
I would think that Mystery snails are far too large to be attacked my assassins. They will get to be twice the size, maybe more.

I am no expert in this though... I could very easily be wrong.
apparently they'll gang up to take them down O_o TFK thread

Tisia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome