how big do cory cats get? - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
SwayLocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 82
Cool how big do cory cats get?

so im making a 10 gallon for one of my bettas and i dont want too many fish if i get a community tank. i was thinking maybe only some cory's but i dont want them to get too big.. if they get any bigger than my betta i really dont want that. so do that saying, do they stay true to the tank size in perportion or do they grow really big lol? i heard they can get 5 in
SwayLocks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Member
 
bettafish15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 2,094
Well, your safest bet is pygmy cories. You could probably about about 3-5 in there if you wait until you're cycled and keep up with your waterchanges. :)

Most cories, like albinos and bronze, get to 2-2.5 inches. I have bronze cories in my 14g with my small betta, and from head to tail they are the same length.

1 Male ~ 5 Females
3 Bronze Cories
1 Hamster
Soon, 1 cornsnake!
bettafish15 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Member
 
GreenTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 1,214
The biggest they can get is about 4.5 inches, and some are as small as 1 inch. Will your tank be filtered? Corys are bottom dwelling fish, and bettas are mostly mid to high level tank fish, so even if the cories were eventually bigger, they would be in separate tank areas and your betta would be used to them.
GreenTea is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:57 AM
New Member
 
iloveengl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
[...] so even if the cories were eventually bigger, they would be in separate tank areas and your betta would be used to them.
True, but that doesn't negate the limited swim space that a 10g offers when corydoras should be kept in shoals.

6.6g planted bookshelf tank -
6 black kuhli loaches, 1 mystery snail
Anubias nana, Java moss

2.5g planted -
2 horned nerite snails
Anubias barteri var. nana 'petite', marimo ball

And a few tropical community and cool water tanks.

iloveengl is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 AM
New Member
 
iloveengl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Well, your safest bet is pygmy cories. You could probably about about 3-5 in there if you wait until you're cycled and keep up with your waterchanges. :)
+1

6.6g planted bookshelf tank -
6 black kuhli loaches, 1 mystery snail
Anubias nana, Java moss

2.5g planted -
2 horned nerite snails
Anubias barteri var. nana 'petite', marimo ball

And a few tropical community and cool water tanks.

iloveengl is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 AM
New Member
 
Aquarianblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kennewick,WA
Posts: 152
I know Green Cory cats get 2.5 inches 3 inches being a big one. I have 2 living with one of my bettas, and they get along great.

My Bettas

Zora first HM

Garnet my baby girl female VT

Vern my Pleco

My Other Guys

Lucifer my Siamese Cat
Aquarianblue is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Member
 
GreenTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveengl View Post
True, but that doesn't negate the limited swim space that a 10g offers when corydoras should be kept in shoals.
Yeah I know that, it sounded like part of his concern was something like the betta would be stressed due to size or something, which is why I mentioned it.
GreenTea is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 04:25 AM
New Member
 
tlyons01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 101
I just wanted to add to the conversation here, as I have a group of 6 corys in a 42 gallon that used to house my betta as well. They all got along very well, indeed. I started with 4 corys and after a few days they would hide and I would never get to see them play... I added 2 more and that seemed to make them happier and now I see them all the time. The challenge that I had was feeding. Everytime I dropped them shrimp pellets or wafer pieces, my betta would also eat them. So he was eating his meal, and taking from them, and getting bloated at least a few days a week. I removed the betta since they started spawning and I found my betta eating the eggs. He shares a divided 10 gal now. My cories have been spawning every other day for almost 2 weeks. I think that they would be happier in a group and you will need to watch feeding times, I was never really sure that they were getting anything to eat before the betta was removed....

Melman, black and white CT,
Fred, Red veil tail<-- started my addiction
Fish Fish, Cellophane Delta
Shimmer, CT maroon and teal with sparkles
tlyons01 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
SwayLocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons01 View Post
I just wanted to add to the conversation here, as I have a group of 6 corys in a 42 gallon that used to house my betta as well. They all got along very well, indeed. I started with 4 corys and after a few days they would hide and I would never get to see them play... I added 2 more and that seemed to make them happier and now I see them all the time. The challenge that I had was feeding. Everytime I dropped them shrimp pellets or wafer pieces, my betta would also eat them. So he was eating his meal, and taking from them, and getting bloated at least a few days a week. I removed the betta since they started spawning and I found my betta eating the eggs. He shares a divided 10 gal now. My cories have been spawning every other day for almost 2 weeks. I think that they would be happier in a group and you will need to watch feeding times, I was never really sure that they were getting anything to eat before the betta was removed....
^^^ thats exactly what im worrying about too! my betta is an absolute pig and tries to eat everything too
SwayLocks is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Member
 
bettafish15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 2,094
What I did to solve the eating problem was, when hes dstracted by pellets i toss in the food for the cories :)

1 Male ~ 5 Females
3 Bronze Cories
1 Hamster
Soon, 1 cornsnake!
bettafish15 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cory cats truthequalslies Betta Fish Compatibility 6 03-29-2010 11:46 AM
Cory cats. iheartmyfishies Betta Fish Compatibility 13 09-28-2009 11:23 AM
Cory Cats... BettaSquirt Betta Fish Compatibility 7 06-05-2009 11:09 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome