Guide to proper ADF care - Page 80 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Like Tree167Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #791 of 1731 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Member
 
LittleWatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In progress to California
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatgirl View Post
Do ADF's have a problem with stronger lights? I just changed the bulb on my tank because I wanted to help the plants grow, and Legolas seems to be hiding more.
Well, they are nocturnal creatures, so that could be why they're hiding. The other light might have been just dull enough that they were willing to be out and about during the day, but with the brighter one, the might like getting out of it once and a while. Just speculation though.

Watty's Whimsical Webs and Wigglers - Photography Thread
Welcome to the Jungle! - Tank Upgrade/Journal Thread
LittleWatty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #792 of 1731 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Member
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatgirl View Post
Do ADF's have a problem with stronger lights? I just changed the bulb on my tank because I wanted to help the plants grow, and Legolas seems to be hiding more.
Great question! ADF's are nocturnal by nature, so yes - they DO prefer things to be more dimly lit, and will be out during daylight hours more often if they are given a nice canopy of floating plants to block the light a bit. Just be sure that he has lots of hiding spots for the daytime, so that he can get out of the light if he wants to, and he'll be fine. Daylight happens all over the world!


Surprising: I LOVE the name Croaks, it's adorable, lol! I like to hand-feed my frogs too, but be cautious about petting. Their skin is very sensitive - even the oils from your fingertips could cause harm. I let my frogs sit on my fingers during water changes, when my hands have been scrubbed clean time and time again (I do the frog tank last out of 5, so I can spend extra time to 'play'). Just be sure that you keep them under the water at all times, and be VERY aware that they can (and will!) jump if they wish to. Mine never have, but . . . don't trust it! I've seen a few frogs (other people's) get themselves in trouble that way.

Females. . . lol, they really Do seem to be as greedy as they can be, so I'm not in the slightest bit surprised to hear that!



Welcome to our group, both of you! Or if you've been around and I've missed you - nice to meetcha!!!
Chesh is offline  
post #793 of 1731 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
New Member
 
SurprisinglyFemale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Great question! ADF's are nocturnal by nature, so yes - they DO prefer things to be more dimly lit, and will be out during daylight hours more often if they are given a nice canopy of floating plants to block the light a bit. Just be sure that he has lots of hiding spots for the daytime, so that he can get out of the light if he wants to, and he'll be fine. Daylight happens all over the world!


Surprising: I LOVE the name Croaks, it's adorable, lol! I like to hand-feed my frogs too, but be cautious about petting. Their skin is very sensitive - even the oils from your fingertips could cause harm. I let my frogs sit on my fingers during water changes, when my hands have been scrubbed clean time and time again (I do the frog tank last out of 5, so I can spend extra time to 'play'). Just be sure that you keep them under the water at all times, and be VERY aware that they can (and will!) jump if they wish to. Mine never have, but . . . don't trust it! I've seen a few frogs (other people's) get themselves in trouble that way.

Females. . . lol, they really Do seem to be as greedy as they can be, so I'm not in the slightest bit surprised to hear that!



Welcome to our group, both of you! Or if you've been around and I've missed you - nice to meetcha!!!
Oh I know better than to take them out of the water or play with dirty hands. I usually just wait until they float and then just let them rest on my finger.
Nice to meet you too! My name is Erika.
SurprisinglyFemale is offline  
post #794 of 1731 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Member
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 843
Chesh is offline  
post #795 of 1731 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 PM
New Member
 
SurprisinglyFemale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 72
I think I might have to set up a divider during feeding time... Tyrannith is devouring the shrimp my frogs haven't gotten to yet :( he's so fat
SurprisinglyFemale is offline  
post #796 of 1731 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Member
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 843
Yeah, keeping frogs in a community can be tricky business! Remember, once your frogs are adults (9 months of age - which they are if you have singing!), you can go down to feeding them every other, or even every 3rd day. It might make things easier. . .
Chesh is offline  
post #797 of 1731 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:31 PM
New Member
 
SurprisinglyFemale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Yeah, keeping frogs in a community can be tricky business! Remember, once your frogs are adults (9 months of age - which they are if you have singing!), you can go down to feeding them every other, or even every 3rd day. It might make things easier. . .
I've been feeding them every other day. I didn't know if , even though it only happens once every two or three days, the fishy fatness will end up harming my little monster?

http://imgur.com/c9hjl

Last edited by SurprisinglyFemale; 09-25-2012 at 07:33 PM.
SurprisinglyFemale is offline  
post #798 of 1731 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Member
 
LittleWatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In progress to California
Posts: 636
I've had issues with my betta eating my frogs food. To solve it, I put him back in his store cup and float him in the tank (usually hidden in my taller plants, so he can't see me feeding the frogs). While he's in his cup, I'll give him his own food, so he learns to like it. Then, I feed the frogs, giving them ample time to eat before releasing the betta (for me, its between 30 min and an hour). It is a bit more work, but saves you a lot of trouble in regards to the health of the betta. Be sure to keep the betta/cup IN the tank, as sometimes they do jump out.

Watty's Whimsical Webs and Wigglers - Photography Thread
Welcome to the Jungle! - Tank Upgrade/Journal Thread
LittleWatty is offline  
post #799 of 1731 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:34 PM
New Member
 
SurprisinglyFemale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWatty View Post
I've had issues with my betta eating my frogs food. To solve it, I put him back in his store cup and float him in the tank (usually hidden in my taller plants, so he can't see me feeding the frogs). While he's in his cup, I'll give him his own food, so he learns to like it. Then, I feed the frogs, giving them ample time to eat before releasing the betta (for me, its between 30 min and an hour). It is a bit more work, but saves you a lot of trouble in regards to the health of the betta. Be sure to keep the betta/cup IN the tank, as sometimes they do jump out.
That sounds like a great idea! Thank you! I might put back my frog's food dish to cut down on the time it takes to find the food, too.
SurprisinglyFemale is offline  
post #800 of 1731 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Member
 
LittleWatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In progress to California
Posts: 636
I actually use a really flat river rock as a sort of "plate." Makes it easy for them to find food, as its always in the same place, and its easy to get to. So, the dish will probably be a great idea.

Watty's Whimsical Webs and Wigglers - Photography Thread
Welcome to the Jungle! - Tank Upgrade/Journal Thread
LittleWatty is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome