13 Gallon tank with 2 bettas - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
Question 13 Gallon tank with 2 bettas

i am thinking of adding some other fish. one of my new bettas (Liliac) recently keep attacking my blue betta (Ninja) and i will probably return her. any suggestions to add to my tank?

13 gallon Female Betta Tank
Blue betta= Ninja
Purple betta=Liliac
Red betta with black speckles= Speckles
mewhales is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Member
 
Sweeda88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,160
You can't just have two females together in a tank! You have to have several with TONS of plants and hiding places. You should probably divide the tank in half with craft mesh or something so that they each have their own section.

Sequin (m), Shortcake (f), Westley (m), and Sir Righty of Walton (m).
Sweeda88 is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Member
 
youlovegnats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
You can't just have two females together in a tank! You have to have several with TONS of plants and hiding places. You should probably divide the tank in half with craft mesh or something so that they each have their own section.
^ +1

It's really a good idea to research these things before you end up with a dead girl. :( Females can be just as aggressive as males, if not more.
I'd divide the tank, like Sweeda suggests.

Just because I don't type with candy and rainbows doesn't mean I'm being mean.
My opinions are based on research and experience. Ask for help!
--------------
The Gang:
Peep, King, Tidus, Mars, Styx.
youlovegnats is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
speckles is an extremely docile betta and she have always gotten along with Ninja and Liliac. its just that Liliac and Ninja have an issue which i don't even know. i really don't wanna return Liliac if i have to. i might just buy another female just to spread out the aggression.

13 gallon Female Betta Tank
Blue betta= Ninja
Purple betta=Liliac
Red betta with black speckles= Speckles
mewhales is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewhales View Post
speckles is an extremely docile betta and she have always gotten along with Ninja and Liliac. its just that Liliac and Ninja have an issue which i don't even know. i really don't wanna return Liliac if i have to. i might just buy another female just to spread out the aggression.
With thirteen gallons I would suggest buying two more, so which will add up to five. The more female Bettas in a sorority the less aggression there will be because they'll spread out, make sure your tank is like a dense jungle with either live/fake plants. Also hiding caves.

You might want to cup them all when you get the new girls and wait a few hours and release them at the same time, they'll establish a pecking order and one will become the queen bee, most likely Liliac since she's the most aggressive.

But yeah don't buy just one more, buy two ~ four more.
Micho is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 27,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
With thirteen gallons I would suggest buying two more, so which will add up to five. The more female Bettas in a sorority the less aggression there will be because they'll spread out, make sure your tank is like a dense jungle with either live/fake plants. Also hiding caves.

You might want to cup them all when you get the new girls and wait a few hours and release them at the same time, they'll establish a pecking order and one will become the queen bee, most likely Liliac since she's the most aggressive.

But yeah don't buy just one more, buy two ~ four more.
+1.
dramaqueen is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Member
 
Bambi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 736
Like has een said, get two more girls. :) They'll add more life aswell as spread the aggression. Make sure they're about the same size as the ones you have already.

Also, if the new additions don't help you can always give lilac her own tank. you can get a 2.5gallon critter keeper pretty cheap, or alarger tank if you wanna spend the money on a 'real' one.

My wishlist:
-duckweed- -black and white marble, anything but VT-
-javamoss- -koi marble, anything but VT)
-hatchable brine shrimp eggs-
-indian almond leaves-
-Melano Halfmoon male-
-steel blue or royal blue CT or HM female-
Bambi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 gallon split tank, two bettas and.. DionDimucci Betta Fish Compatibility 3 01-25-2011 10:04 AM
Can I put two bettas together in a 10 gallon tank? dmoser84 Betta Fish Compatibility 12 10-21-2010 10:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome