Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
I'm assuming that since it's two males they are divided, giving them each 5 gallons.
1) Cycling is a process that involves bacteria growing in your filter. You shouldn't change you filter cartridge out ever, if you have multiple sections in it, usually the sponge is the one you want to keep in all the time. Since the fish are in there, you are doing a fish in cycle.. I'd do a 50% change every week for a few months, then reduce it to 30% a week.
2) No. Never use table salt. Aquarium salt is useful, but you can only use it 10 days in a row max, so it's best for when a fish is sick. If your boys have some fin issues feel free to do a 1 teaspoon/gallon treatment on them for no longer than 10 days.
3) I hear that these things aren't that accurate. Strips aren't that great either. A liquid test kit is the best to use. You should have ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests.
4) Veil tail fins can sometimes look tangled, or crinkled. Mine has this and is fine. Fin rot would mean that his fins are falling apart, tail biting he'd be missing big chunks out of his tail.
5) It is true. But betta don't need oxygen from water, they breathe it from the air. So not needed for betta. You can buy one if you want, but it does stress out some betta fish, they prefer calmer water.
taking a break from fish-keeping.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.