Betta Fish Forum banner

Speech for school

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  cp6445 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have to give a persuasive speech for school, and I am thinking about giving a speech on reasons Walmart should not be allowed to sell fish. :shock: Can you guys help me find some credible sources and research for this? I also would love some pictures of the poor conditions if you all have any. I would really appreciate the help! :greenyay:

#3 ·
People would steal bettas and other fish from walmart to 'save' them a while ago.

#5 ·
sad video. I have to do a persuasive speech too! Your not by chance enrolled in a course at SDSMT are you? lol. Mind if I do the same topic? My class is going to know me as the fish lady but what ever. I'm already doing a 5 min speech summarizing how to breed bettas.

#6 ·
lol No, I'm a student of Northwestern College (St. Paul). They make everyone take speech class, though. I don't mind at all if you do the same topic. :-D I have to write and practice mine this week, and I think I will put some pics on PowerPoint if I can find some good ones.

#7 ·
lol St. Paul MN? That's where I am originally from. It's not hard to find pictures of abused fishies at walmart, sadly.

#9 ·
I had to take a speech class. I wrote a persuasive speech before and I have to say that my professors reprimanded people for using video's as references. I don't know if your school is different but my school doesn't like it. The rule they gave me is it has to be a source by a legitimate person and not just opinionated. It has to back up facts that can be investigated. So it's better to try online journals by people who site at least their first and last name and even better if they site credentials and/or where they went to college at. Don't use your own emotions too much as in don't say. "It makes me so angry" You could say "something that has angered many fish entusiast's lately..." or something on that line. You could try to run a search on online journals but the issue is you are going to have to sort through a ton of useless emotional chatter about it rather than getting the facts. There is an online petition about this. You could site that webpage to show how passionate people feel about this. You could list the amount of people that have signed it. You could also do some research on a betta's natural habitat and explain why the way wal-mart keeps them is harmful. Pictures help. Maybe a photo of a rice paddy field compared to a betta in a dirty cup. Be careful with that, that could be a law suit.

#11 ·
I have a friend who wrote an article on bettas for RedFish magazine, which is a legitimate (Australian) fishkeeping magazine. You could try that. :) Practical Fishkeeping could also be a good place to look - another legitimate journal with many a good article.
That's really neat, I believe it takes true talent to be a writer of any sort.

To the OP I hope you enjoy your Speech class. Mine was a blast.

#12 ·
@bombluria: whats the url of the site, i live in australia (Perth) and would love to see the magazine i can find hardly any info on fishkeeping. Other than internet. And how much for subscription?

#13 ·
Wait nvm i think i found it. Its the free digital magazine right?

#16 ·
That is an excellent idea for a speech!

Your best bet, as some members wrote before, is to stick to true published articles. A strategically placed video or photos will be worth a thousand words, but should not be your only sources, or you will get "dinged" for not using published literature.

So I would go with both. Check out the RedFish article. I would also search online for articles on best conditions to care for bettas. There are plenty. Does not have to mention walmart. Then, once you justify the best conditions for betta care with those articles, you can focus on how walmart DOES NOT meet those conditions.

Agree with above member, definitely leave emotion out of it. And if you want to really wow your crowd, (or professors giving you a grade:)), end with something positive, like how even though walmart should not sell live fish due to their inability to provide an adequate environment, they have a very good selection of fish accessories that can help fish owners (who get their fish elsewhere) take very good care of their bettas bla bla bla:)

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.