Betta Fish Forum banner

Beginner Snakes

5K views 56 replies 12 participants last post by  betta lover1507 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if I can have some kind of help. I am trying to plan ahead and save up a bunch for a small snake. I'm doing research as always, but honestly don't know where to start. Are there any snake/reptile people on the forum that can contribute to my questions?

No, I don't have the set up nor the snake in mind yet. I want it to be small enough to be in my room if that'll give you an idea. I have a queen sized matress, a 40 inch tv, large dresser, and plenty of room left to fit about a 10-20 gallon tank. Maybe that can give you an idea of what I'm able to work with.

I was wondering, from a milk snake or a corn snake...which would be best? I've seen some snakes just 6 inches (still a baby of course) and some can live in a 10 gallon? I dont know how much of that is true, but it's just what I've heard and seen. There are just so many kinds of snakes that I have no idea where to start. (DEfinitely not ready for any big snakes like boas, ect.) I was thinking a corn snake would be nice to have. They are relatively small and seem to be a great beginner snake.

Are there any articles that you guys may suggest? Any breeders that I can speak with via e-mail or someway? I doubt they are on the forum, but you never know. Can anyone help or at least point me in the right direction? I'm willing to read and do my homework first also I know that snakes and other reptiles are expensive to set up. (Well most of them) Would this be true for a snake small enough to live in a 10 gallon?

Also my cousin has a 5 foot boa in their 55 gallon tank. Is that even advised or okay?

I really am looking towards Milk snakes since the colors on them are amazing, but would settle for a corn snake, if in my predicament, I can.

I want one small enough that I could possibly hold at the computer or have on the bed, ect. Also I know that snakes are escape artists so that won't be a problem either.

Thanks

-BL2033

See less See more
#35 ·
I know a lot of snakes, sand isn't a good idea unless they are desert snakes. Like for ball pythons I head it can irritate them.
I just use "reptile carpet." More attractive than newspaper, but it starts to smell bad after a while no matter how much you wash it so you gotta switch it out semi often. It's more attractive than newspaper though.
I switched to aspen shavings, but after 8 years on carpet, my poor snake stayed on the driftwood for about a week before I realized the shavings were creeping him out, so I had to switch back.
Most corns I see are on aspen though.. it's good because you clean it like bunny litter and it isn't thaaat pricey. Aspen is the only safe wood chip for snakes that I know of. :)

#39 ·
She is beautiful! I love the way snakes move! Yeah, Python is one snake I dont plan on getting for a long time. I want to try to have a beginner snake to see if it's something I will get into. If I don't want to get into it, I'll just not buy another snake after this one, but I wouldn't want to re-home something like a snake.

That "Bedding" does look like a carpet.

I didn't think that little corns mouth was going to be able to eat that little mouse. It was dead right? And After they finish eating like that, will they move around at all? I know you're not supposed to touch them when they finish eating.

#40 ·
It was frozen and we thawed it out in warm water.

She has been on the heat pad inside her hiding place for 24 hours. We fed her yesterday and she has just been chilling over the heat pad. The pad is under the tank.

What I want to know is if people take their snakes out of the cage before feeding. I had someone tell me not to. I had people tell me to.

The thing is if you take the snake out you have to touch it to put it back in the cage....Still trying to figure that out.

#41 ·
glad you choose a cornsnake :) there very sweet and kind if they get to know you. i would suggest to get him/her as a juvenile though. they'll be more tamed
as for feeding they should eat on there own, if you get a baby/hatchling you'll have to feed them pinkies, insects aren't in there food chain so don't try it. and if you choose to feed frozen (frozen foods are cheaper than live) you'll have to get warm/hot water, let it boil, and when it looks thaw grab it and squish it, make sure it isn't frozen inside (so it won't get the snake sick) and it is warm since they notice prey by heat mostly. if you have to feed pinkies, don't leave the pinky in for a long time or the skin will break and it would get digusting ;p
flooring you could buy at many petstores, never use sand. you could even use newspaper (i wouldn't suggest it if you want it to look nice, lol) and be careful with getting gravel you want to make sure it is safe. i don't know the names of any though XP and the thing why WE use newspaper because we don't want get the snakes mite's sometimes there in the dirt sometimes there not, with our luck there in there -.-" and simple to get rid of mites, let them bathe in water, in there water bowl, any where were there isn't chemicals to hurt them. the way to notice it when you see either on the body or (mostly) on top of the head it would be white cracks between the scales, and the snake mostly stays in the water bowl.
make sure they don't bathe too much because they could get scale rot, but that's a rare case, out of 1 out of 10 snakes get it.
from experience with pythons, there also sweet, kind, and very intelligent :) "Melissa" our normal ball python, when they had mites and she would share a big tank with another ball (younger than her) was a yellow belly ball python "Teo" and he wouldn't go to the water bowl, but melissa will bathe in it and go on top of teo and let him soak ;p sadly he passed away.

after feeding DON'T TOUCH THEM unless your putting back into the tank CAREFULLY. the reason why is because there digesting, and when they crawl all over you hands/fingers, it will make them either regurgitate, or mess up there digestive system

#42 ·
how to CAREFULLY to put them back into the tank is to not let them wrap around your hands just let them sit on your hands without wrapping. another issue is that some snakes tend to bite right after feeding because they could mistaken you as food, since some snakes get fed more than once in a day. but if the snake is used to you they'll not bite as much, not all snakes are like that. we only have one that does that out of like 8 or 7 ;p

#44 ·
Never be lazy and microwave rodents.... I've never done this, but I hear they explode.
Also, another good thing about a reptile expo/breeder is you won't have reptile mites (unless they are unhygenic breeders xD)
Posted via Mobile Device

#45 ·
Also, don't boil the mice either! You don't want them to be cooked, just warm and thawed. Don't use boiling water for that reason. :p Just use hot water.

Reactions: Termato
#47 ·
I breed my own food. Saves me $30 a month. :p
Although...breeding mice is quite a handfull. ><
All day long all I hear is PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP

Reactions: Termato
#52 ·
Cool pic!

They are fascinating to watch while eating. The lower jaw unhinges completely from the upper jaw when they swallow. Also, the lower jaw divides in two at the tip of the snout. While the snake is swallowing they push the prey down with a walking motion of the two halves of the lower jaw.

After the prey is swallowed they make chewing motions to realign the lower jaw and hook it back up to the upper jaw. I notice mine also goes for a big drink of water afterward.

#54 ·
I haven't read this thread totally yet, short on time, sorry. I can say this. CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS. Some states don't allow you to own certain snakes, though that doesn't stop people from selling the illegal ones, not usually a problem, but just in case. My vote is for what most people call a ball python or a corn snake. I've owned one python and five corn snakes, very easy to care for when done correctly. Handle them at least once daily when you first get them, so they aren't skittery about people.

#57 ·
they do get along, but i don't keep them together all the time ;p all our ball pythons are friendly to other pythons or snakes :) pursey is compatable with them too, and so is the cornsnake
not all of the snakes where bought together, these where separate by a day or 2? i don't remember, they both came from mail, and are both males ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.