Betta Fish Forum banner

omg

866 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  lilyth88 
#1 ·
So I was feeding Beau a bloodworm using a q tip since its easier to pick up. He was floating near the top when I was trying to dip the worm in the water and bit the q tip. He freaked put so bad because he was actually hangin on to the end of the qtip as I was holding ot in the air. I screamed so loud. Now its I think about it its funny. He was actually hanging out the bowl for a brief second until I dropped him and the qtip in the water. He alnost gave me a heart attack.

#5 ·
Bettas are really good jumpers. As long as i have them for about 5 years i had 2 bettas jumped out of the tank. And one of them like about 2.5 years old and he never did it before. Luckily he survived only because someone hear the splash of the water and he was on the floor. Other one was on my desk for about 15 and he didn't survived. 2 others jumped out while I was changing them. So I learned it hard way.

Even now I have 10 bettas and when I feed them one of them always jumps, another one flaring all the time when I feed him. Other seems don’t care and just look for the food or fallow my finger.

Now I always recommend to leave a certain amount of space between the top of the tank and the water level.

I also know people and saw post when bettas jumped and fell in to the sink drain. It so sad but I really know someone who had this accident :( So now I change my fish away from it. I do 100% water changes so I take my fish out of the tank. I also always have clean disposable plate next to the tank. Actually one time fish jumped out while I took him out of the tank and landed on that disposable plate. He was absolutely fine.

So even if you use a net make sure you cover it with other hand. I don’t use net I scoop them with a cup. One of my betta go to the bottom of the tank when I change him. He is pain to couch and I have to do it with my hand.

Sorry for long writing though.

#8 ·
Bettas are really good jumpers. As long as i have them for about 5 years i had 2 bettas jumped out of the tank. And one of them like about 2.5 years old and he never did it before. Luckily he survived only because someone hear the splash of the water and he was on the floor. Other one was on my desk for about 15 and he didn't survived. 2 others jumped out while I was changing them. So I learned it hard way.

Even now I have 10 bettas and when I feed them one of them always jumps, another one flaring all the time when I feed him. Other seems don’t care and just look for the food or fallow my finger.

Now I always recommend to leave a certain amount of space between the top of the tank and the water level.

I also know people and saw post when bettas jumped and fell in to the sink drain. It so sad but I really know someone who had this accident :( So now I change my fish away from it. I do 100% water changes so I take my fish out of the tank. I also always have clean disposable plate next to the tank. Actually one time fish jumped out while I took him out of the tank and landed on that disposable plate. He was absolutely fine.

So even if you use a net make sure you cover it with other hand. I don’t use net I scoop them with a cup. One of my betta go to the bottom of the tank when I change him. He is pain to couch and I have to do it with my hand.

Sorry for long writing though.
Eek. I wouldn't recommend catching them with your hand. Our hands have oils on them that are damaging to their slime coat...

#6 ·
Yea I'm always cautious when I feed them and change their water for fear they will jump. Now I know I havr a sassy fish. I had no idea he would latch onto the qtip I was jus trying to dip it in the water so the worn could come off. Boy was I freaked.

#7 ·
I have had my female do that to my finger when I had a pellet stuck to it... :blink: I am so glad I just screamed instead of doing a reflex jerk and sending her flying. :lol:

Didn`t really hurt - just felt very strange.

It is a good idea to be careful with lids and spaces. My girl manage to jump out of the tiny gap where the filter and heater cords go in. She got wedged in a folded piece of cardboard I had between the two tanks... and was there for hours before I noticed that she was nowhere in the tank. I tore the area apart and found her dried to the cardboard. Peeled her carefully off, put her back in the water, and the next morning she was swimming around like nothing happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.