Betta Fish Forum banner

Dog Troubles

4K views 44 replies 10 participants last post by  tpocicat 
#1 ·
Had my Fenris neutered on the 28th of July... Have had nothing but problems since then...

He had a puppy bacterial infection. They said it wasn't bad enough to effect the surgery. His belly looked much better when we picked him up since they scrubbed it all while he was under.
He went through the surgery like a champ.

First problem was that he wanted nothing more than to chew and lick at the incision site. This meant he had to wear a cone. He has to wear it until tomorrow.

The first night, the shot of pain killer they gave him wore off. He was up all night whining and crying. What did this mean for me? No sleep. Couldn't get any sleep because he couldn't.
The following morning he was started on an antibiotic and pain killer...
The pain killer did not work. We gave it a day... Then went back to the vet. He ended up on one that he takes 3 times a day and hates. At least we both sleep.

The antibiotics don't seem to be clearing up his puppy bacterial infection. I still give them to him as prescribed. On top of the pills, he got an injection while being neutered.

He also got micro-chipped. I'm taking no chances with him. He is now registered with Banfield (since they did his chip), the Home Again website, and with service dogs. I also take a pic of him every day because a lot of dogs have come up missing around us.

Needless to say, his vet bill was a lot more than anticipated... I didn't know he was going to get the injection of antibiotics. Nor did I expect the first pain medication to not work.
When a "pit bull type dog" is showing a lot of pain... Well, we had to take him in. I felt so very horrible for him.
Though, I must say that I'm happy I have him on a puppy wellness plan with Banfield. The bill would have been so much more expensive if I didn't.

Also... The cone makes him hold his ears funny. I took it off so he could eat on his own... Still held his ears funny. x_x

So... Has anyone else had problems like this after getting a dog fixed?

See less See more
#37 ·
That would be it. ^_^ They do more than checkups. If you want to be sure, you can always go in and talk to them about their services. They tend to be friendly and helpful in my experience. With my wellness plan, he gets so many check-ups at no cost.

#36 ·
I'm in OR. Have lived in NY, NC, MN, and Iowa. I've always found Banfield attached to PetSmart. ^_^

tpoc - I'm hoping that's what it is too. I'm hoping that it's a mix between the surgery and everything that went with it and false puberty.

starr - It is not helpful because of how you are coming across. You are doing it in a rather attacking manner. How people feel on the subject is still split and there are still experts who say the method I use works. It will always be a split subject. Some will always say it works while others will say that it doesn't. That's just the way of most things. My methods work for me and always have. If you wish to not understand that, that is your right.

#42 ·
I hate when vets do that.

I remember the private vet we took our dogs to when I was growing up. Seemed like we always spent more on the gas getting there and back than on the bill. I love Doc Underwood though. He was great with all pets. He had started out doing house calls as well as having an office and saw to the local farm animals before he got too old for that. He even had a small barn/stable attached to his office so people could still bring the odd horse or cow to him. He was fantastic with our dobies and is the reason why I wanted to be a vet growing up.
I'm hoping to finish school and have a practice of my own.

In other news, Fenris started acting more like himself yesterday. Very happy about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.