Betta Fish Forum banner

Myths

21K views 281 replies 25 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
What are some pet myths you hear people say I mean any myth my local pet store said fiddler crabs can live in freshwater.

#263 ·
This may have been said but how about the biggest betta myth of all....
"Bettas live in puddles and buffalo hoof prints!"

True wild betta habitat....

Attachments

#265 ·
Totally true, most people are too lazy to research fish needs. I consider any living organism a pet. Plants to animals because they need care.

#270 · (Edited)
Myth: Rabbits are easy to care for pets that are great for children!

In reality the care requirement of rabbits is anything but easy. They need a special diet with hay being available at all times. Next should be a variety of greens and veggies. A high quality plain pellet given daily in limited amounts to prevent obesity makes up the rest. Rabbits are more closely related to horses and are not rodents.

They need large enclosures. Pet store cages are much too small. Even with being in a large enclosure they need to be let out for exercise a few hours each day. It is very important because doing so keeps them happy mentally and healthy physically. They need lots of toys, Rabbits are very playful and need stimulation when they are not out running around.

To become healthier and happier Pets it is important to have them Spayed or Neutered. Which FYI, can be very expensive. There are low cost options though. Also, Rabbits are the 3rd most surrendered pet in the US next to Cats and Dogs. Spaying and Neutering ensures no more unwanted rabbits will end up euthanized in shelters.

They are not recommended for children because they typically dislike being held or handled and their care requires a lot of adult supervision. It is better for the bunny to be a family pet that the parents take responsibility for and the child gets to help.

Another Myth is rabbits are outside Pets. The reality is they healthier, safer, and more enjoyable to have indoors. They are safe from predators inside and the heat, which they are very sensitive to. Too many Rabbits end up neglected and forgotten in backyard hutches. Out of sight out mind! Of course there are exceptions. Some people make outside housing work when they have to.

Rabbits are considered Exotics, so vet care can be very expensive. They need to have their nails trimmed every month or so. Grooming them is equally important because they are constantly shedding their coat. If they ingest too much loose hair it can cause a potentially fatal blockage. Rabbits also have two scent glands located on each side of their genitals. These can get build up that needs to be cleaned out. It is very stinky!

So why have a rabbit when they are so much darn work? They are AMAZING pets to have. Intelligent, personable, and so adorable. They can be litter box trained and taught awesome tricks. Although they can be independent and bossy (lol) they form close bonds. It's a thrill to watch them run around your bunny proofed home and leap through the air with happiness.

#273 ·
When my family decided to get a rabbit, I was very against it because all of the rabbits that I had known had been either very fearful or very aggressive towards humans. I know now it's because they were kept in hutches outside or in a garage and didn't get a lot of exercise or interaction with people.

My bunny Sophie lives in the living room. She has quite the personality. She's very bossy, independent, and intelligent. She reminds me of a cat. She knows her name, but she decides when she wants to respond to it xD
She loves our dog, but Mia is afraid of her. Sometimes when Sophie is bored and Mia is sleeping, she'll thump very loudly and then watch Mia run away with her tail in between her legs. It's very funny, but not very nice. When Sophie is out playing with Mia, she'll run in circles around her.

#276 ·
I think the myth all albinos have red eyes is annoying they can have blue too the worlds only recorded albino gorilla had blue eyes.

#277 ·
The myth that birds can live on a seed diet, it makes me so angry because that cuts their life in half if not more. They need healthy fresh and prepared foods, high quality pellet(totally organics or Harrison's), and new water in a clean bowl at least once a day.

#278 ·
I did not know that thank you for telling me. There is the myth bettas are herbivores. There is the myth lucky bamboo does great submerged some people think lucky bamboo cannot be grown in soil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.