Betta Fish Forum banner

Myths

21K views 281 replies 25 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
What are some pet myths you hear people say I mean any myth my local pet store said fiddler crabs can live in freshwater.

#2 ·
>reptiles only grow as big as the tank you put them in!

>snakes will lay out and measure your body so they can eat you

>all snakes are venomous(Oh excuse me, they say all snakes are poisonous..ugh LOL)

>if you cut off a snake's head, a second snake will grow

>hermit crabs naturally only live to 3 months of age

>snakes attract other snakes to your house

>monitor lizards are great starter reptiles!

>hermit crabs require almost no care!

>iguanas/turtles stay tiny and eat lettuce!

>You can keep Chameleons in tanks with no humidity and they will be fine!

>all snakes will reach 50 feet if you don't limit their food intake

>snakes can be given a vegetarian diet

>turtles love pizza

>reptiles have hypnotic powers

the list goes on. All of this heard in my workplace. I can't even begin to imagine where this stuff comes from

#6 ·
>reptiles only grow as big as the tank you put them in!

>snakes will lay out and measure your body so they can eat you
Actually that is scientifically proven for boas that have grown to huge proportions. Not all snakes though.

#4 · (Edited)
Here are some:

-Syrian (teddy bear) hamsters can live in a crittertrial/habitrial (or equally small) cage.

A syrian hamster should ONLY be housed in a cage with a minimum floor space of 29 ½ inches x 15 ¾ inches x 15 ¾ inches. That means absolutely NO crittertrial or habitrial cages.

-Goldfish (or any fish for that matter) only grow as big as their tank.

The reason this "fact" came about was because, while the fish does slow its growth down considerably when housed in a smaller tank, it doesn't stop. The stress levels of the fish. caused by its slowed growth rate and inadequately small tank, will exponentially grow until it causes the fish's death. Therefor, goldfish should be housed in the proper sized tank to avoid this issue.

-Hamsters can't be housed in a glass aquarium due to the circulation problems.

If you clean out the tank on a regular basis, its more than suitable for a hamster, providing that its big enough. A 20L is the minimum sized tank any species of hamster should be housed in, including dwarfs. In actuality, a tank is ideal for the smaller dwarf species as they don't have bars that the hamster could escape through.

-Hamsters smell.

Hamsters are actually very clean little critters who have no natural smell. Its their waste that smells and the accumulation of which due to a negligent owner causes their cage to smell horrendously. If cleaned out properly on a regular basis, there is no smell at all.

Well, that's all I can think about for now. I might come back later with more.

#5 ·
lets not forget the biggest myth... fish can live in bowls -_-

#7 ·
That is one of the Betta killers bad water quality lack of exercise no growing room no beneficial bacteria lack of stimulation I hate they live a year or two myth and the fish do not need stimulation because they stupid hate that one.

#9 ·
and warm :) agreed!! ^^ i have two of mine in 2.5 gallon heated bowls. i just hate how petstores sell those .3 gallon things.....

#13 ·
Oh yeah totally! Anything less than a gallon is just ridiculous! But yeah like a large bowl that's at least 2 gallons is good :)

#16 ·
- Rats are filthy animals
- Rats carry bubonic plague (actually they really had nothing to do with it, bubonic plague was considered airborne since rats were not abundant during the main outbreak and the second time fleas actually carried it and fleas can live on any animal including humans.

-Rats make horrible pets and bite, quite the contrary they make some of the best most affectionate pets around with the least likely hood to bite out of all rodents and pocket pets. Also easily tamed, trained, and even litter box trained. Can walk on leashes, and not only enjoy but crave human affection.

- You can keep two male mice together.
Not tru, male mice are highly territorial and will kill each other but on the other hand you should always keep females in clans of three.

- Rats can live alone
Wrong, rats lives have been proven to be shorter when they live alone and they are more prone to becoming sick die to loneliness and depression. Rats need other rats, they are highly social creatures who in the wild function in large family packs of up to 100 and more rats called mischeifes.

-You can pick a mouse or rat up by the tail
NO, NEVER, their skin actually sluffs off when you do that and they can lose their tail or die from infections.

- Pet rodents do not require vets.
Yes they do, they also require large cages and daily care. Rats may even need monthly tail washing and nail clippings or teeth clippings if they grow too long. All rodents are prone to URI which they will DIE of if not taken to a vet and treated.

- Hamster can be kept together
NO, hamsters are solitary creatures and when hamsters are housed together there is always risk of them killing each other.

-Rats smell bad
Actually rats don't smell at all, if the cage is kept clean and they don't sit in their own filth they have no smell what so ever. Once you smell rat urine it means your cage is filthy.

-Rats pee on everything
NOT TRUE, only unaltered males pee extensivly to mark out their territory. Neutered males and females who are potty trained seldom ever pee outside the litter box.

- Albino rodents have poor eyesight.
All rodents have poor eyesight and albino's are no different to any other rodent within it's breed.

- Mice are too skittish to be pets.
Mice are only skittish because they were not properly tamed. Anyone can tell you a properly tamed mouse you spend time with looks forward to being with you and will crawl into your hand on it's own will to be closer to you.

- Male and female rodents can live together.
NEVER, not even breeders let their rodents live together because they are prolific breeders. With mice and rats right after delivery a female will go back into heat and can be breed instantly. They can have litters up to 20 and the pups mature at 4 weeks which means 2 rodents can easily became 200 in a matter of months.

- You can keep two rodent species together like mice with hamsters.
NEVER, these creatures are not meant to live together and will hurt each other. It's very rare two rodent species can co exist without a fatality or injury.

- Rescued wild rodents can live with domestic rodents.
Putting aside for a second the parasites and disease they may carry you are risking your pet. Wild rodents are nothing like the domestic ones. It's like saying your dog can live in a wolf pack. Those wolves will eat your dog for lunch because they are born to hunt and survive. The same is true with even rodents. Rodents are the small wolves of the earth. Any wild rodent can and WILL kill your pet.

Wild rodents can breed with domestic ones.
They can which is why you should always keep your females in a secure cage that no male rats or mice from the wild can climb into. Babies born from a wild crossbreeding can be bitters and flighty if not properly socialized and spayed or neutered.

Rats are vegetarians.
No they are omnivores and more importantly they DO have a prey drive. In the wild rats hunt reptiles, birds, fish, mammals, and insects. Keep your pet fish, birds, and lizard tanks out of a rats reach because they can and will find a way to get them and you can't be upset when your $300 bird becomes an expensive treat. Also rats with higher prey drives may attack pet rabbits, Guinea pigs, cats, and dogs so rats should always be socialized with as many animals possible at a young age and in a very safe and monitored environment.

- You can rat proof a home for pet rats.
Impossible, there is no such thing as rat proofed. They are smarter than you and you have to accept it. they will find a way around your 'proofing' just give them a week and they will show you who's really got brains. The best you can do is 'rat proof' your home and cross your fingers they don't care.

#17 ·
One myth says goldfish were domesticated but actually food stock the ones being bred for food who had great color were kept in huge tubs and bred then when guests came they were put in bowls to show them off when they left they went back to the tubs it used to be tradition when goldfish were uncommon they were given by a husband too his wife on there first anniversary.

#18 ·
-any container bigger than a gallon will stress out and eventually kill a betta.

-male bettas should be kept separate but visible to each other so they can flare for exercise. true to some degree, flaring occasionally is good for their spirits but having the constant pressure of confrontation will take its toll very quickly.

-bettas and ADF's should never be kept together (the exact words i was told were "bettas LOVE to eat frog legs")

-a ten gallon tank is all an iguana will need until it's about a year old (went from ten, to twenty, to 250 gallons in about that much time)

-reptile pellets are a good substitute for a fresh-fruits-and-veggies diet for an iguana.

-ferrets are just cats for ********.

#19 ·
-any container bigger than a gallon will stress out and eventually kill a betta.

-male bettas should be kept separate but visible to each other so they can flare for exercise. true to some degree, flaring occasionally is good for their spirits but having the constant pressure of confrontation will take its toll very quickly.

-bettas and ADF's should never be kept together (the exact words i was told were "bettas LOVE to eat frog legs")

-a ten gallon tank is all an iguana will need until it's about a year old (went from ten, to twenty, to 250 gallons in about that much time)

-reptile pellets are a good substitute for a fresh-fruits-and-veggies diet for an iguana.

-ferrets are just cats for ********.
I want to point out not all Bettas are fish friendly mine can only live with an apple snail he will attack everything else I am sure my male would kill a ADF my female is very peaceful she lives in a community tank a male and female can be unsuitable for friends in community tanks bettas will suffer first if any fish gets hurt it is most likely going to be the Betta.Different Bettas have different aggression levels.

#24 ·
- a raw beef diet is good for a dogs digestive system. (my Vet told me this!)

- if a betta has a filter, it only needs a water change once a month

- some dogs are completely hypo-allergenic

-milk is a good treat for cats

- hermit crabs dont require much maitenance, space, or equipment

- small dogs dont need to be walked

#26 ·
-Red claw (fiddler) crabs can live in an aquarium without land. >_<

While they do need some amount of water to successfully molt and whatnot, fiddlers need a space to get out of the water once and a while and rest if they don't want to be submerged.

#31 · (Edited)
Got to the image. That's not a boa. That's a reticulated python. The image even says huge python. The world's longest ever recorded snake in captivity was a 27 foot reticulated python. A boa constrictor does NOT get that big, unless you count the anaconda.

But this. A boa constrictor imperator.

Will get to MAYBE 10 feet.. If it's a large female. 14 or so has been recorded, extremely rarely and at an astounding age of at least 30 years old. Average is 7-9 feet.

Now these:

Are specifically the largest snakes you'll ever find. The anaconda, the burmese python, and the reticulated python. They reach an average of 18 feet, but have been known to get larger. 27 feet was the longest ever seen.

The difference is like an arrowana vs. an arapaima...both are big..But one is not as big as the other!

#33 ·
Miss-information and lack of experience? In my case at least that was the trick.

A month ago i believed the average life span to be 3 years for betta with the occasional reaching 5-6.

#35 · (Edited)
Miss-information and lack of experience? In my case at least that was ew one defend the trick.

A month ago i believed the average life span to be 3 years for betta with the occasional reaching 5-6.
Most well cared for in big tank good diet dying of old age 7-8 years and extreme dedication 10 years the three thing probably makes them think they
provided good care get a new Betta and defend Betta myths seems like Americans believe these myths the most no offense studies show most americans might be too dumb for democracy and most believe dogs SOLD at pet stores are not from puppy mills also most Americans believe what business and government tell them no matter how absurd. Please do not be affended I am just speaking from studies and expierence.

#42 ·
Yeah ive had my betta for 8 months now so i think he is about a year old now. I dont expect him to last to an old age because i suspect his genetics are not very good but we shall see...

#44 ·
Genetics diets and exercise are what you need for health inbred fish grow slower and live shorter with more genetics you could get more interesting Bettas at my pet stores the fish are culls so the fish you are not of extreme quality for what they are being bred for so around here the show fish the fighters and the pets might be close fully related they are even from thialand. Another myth is they only use the labyrinth only when in seasonal droughts but the thousands of gallons they live in have low oxygen content do to low movement high temp. Also no matter the oxygen content they have to get some air from the surface or they drown. Scientist put Bettas in highly oxengated water and removed the labyrinth they all died.

#49 ·
Yeah the one inch rule is a myth for everything except it can work for betta. But for a goldfish it is definately not true...

#67 ·
Another common myth all fish spend the majority of their life in water mudskippers spend a lot of time on land.

#68 ·
-Fish can't fly.

Well, there is a species of saltwater fish that goes by the common name, the flying fish. It propels itself out of the water with a powerful thrust from its tail and uses its modified pectoral fins, which have evolved to resemble the wings of a glider, to glide away from danger. They have been known to glide for several yards.

#69 ·
"Rabbits are boring pets."

Sure, if you keep them in a cage all day and don't pay attention to them, of course they are boring!

"Rabbits only need pellets."

Firstly, unless it is a breeding rabbit that needs extra nutrients, the alfalfa pellets have too much calcium and are too "hot" a feed. Timothy pellets are far more suitable for a pet rabbit, but alfalfa is what is usually sold. Secondly, they absolutely MUST have fresh hay at all times! Again, timothy is good. Without it, they do not get enough fibre, and their digestive systems can shut down, sending them into a often fatal condition called gastrointestinal stasis (G.I. stasis).

Ideally, they should have fresh, leafy green vegetables, too.

"It's a dwarf rabbit."

Um...what KIND of a dwarf rabbit? Dwarfism is just a gene. There are a lot of dwarf breeds. Netherland dwarf, dwarf hotot, mini rex, Jersey wooly, Holland lop, American fuzzy lop, mini satin, lionhead, and britannia petite are all breeds that have the dwarfing gene. Secondly, m "dwarf" rabbits sold in pet shops are no such thing. They are just young, and they are therefore small.

#70 ·
Sorry I don't feel like reading through all the pages but I will list the ones I've heard.

MYTHS..
- betta like small spaces
- you only have to replace the water that evaporates and never need to do a water change
- snails clean (HAHAHA yeah they poop like crazy so it's not really cleaning)
- males can live with females
- Bubble nest = happy
- Bettas will eat plant roots... OR CORN :rofl:
- bettas live at room temp

#74 ·
Bettas can live in room temp if the temp is 78-82F with no temp changes. I have so many heated heated tanks the water stays 76-78F warm enough for guppies.

#71 ·
my nerite snail is very efficient in eating algea though he does leave alot of presents behind. im glad i decided to stick with only 1 in my 5g,

#72 ·
Aww haha they're so cute c:
Someone on the forum a few months ago had a betta in a 1 gallon bowl with a snail. The pet store person said the water never needs changed because the snail cleans it all o_______o

#89 ·
Oh, another myth is that fish have 3 second memories.
Alcemistnv wrote an article about it, it will be in the first issue of the newsletter on Monday september 17th in the betta chat section.

#90 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.