Betta Fish Forum banner

Is Moss Snail Proof?

11K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Laki 
#1 ·
What I mean by snail proof is will they eat it? If they do, do they eat it fast enough to kill it?

I couldn't find reasonably priced moss so I bought a bundle of anacharis instead, that happened to carry stowaways, snails. The pet store said they weren't a danger to my Bettas and that they would help keep my tank clean by eating algae, fish waste, and uneaten food, and they looked really cool so I decided to keep them.

The pet store didn't mention they would also eat my anacharis which they did, stripped the leaves down to bare stems and then even those seemed to waste away.

I do admit the my anacharis didn't get a lot of bright light. I don't know how much light anacharis needs but maybe it didn't get enough and wasn't as healthy and that's why the snails were drawn to it. Which leads me to my next question; how much light does moss need?

Plastic plants tear the bettas' fins so I would really like to stay with live plants but aquarium lights aren't an option, I don't want to get rid of the snails, and I can't budget a lot of money for them.

So, do I have a chance with moss? Or more appropriately, would moss stand a chance with me?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have one snails and an apple snail in a tank with willow moss and flame moss and the moss is fine and growing out.

My snails haven't eaten any of my floating plants water sprite, dwarf water lettuce, broad leaf water wisteria salvinia.

Sorry about your anachris.

#6 ·
What would be considered a pest snail? Anything I don't want and can't get rid of?

I didn't purposely get the snails, they were already in the anacharis when I bought it. But I didn't see the harm in keeping them because the pet store said they would help keep my tanks clean. My tanks don't have filters and I had said more than once that I wished Algae Eaters were an option. But even if those could live without an air pump I know they aren't compatible with Bettas. I used to have a few in a tank with some goldfish and they would literally harass the goldfish to death trying to latch onto their tails. When I was told that snails do the same things, (cleaning not harassing) I thought I'd found the perfect solution and for free, my favorite price.

Do people usually consider ramshorn snails pests? Do they cause harm other than anacharis eating?

My guys really miss their plants but I don't want to waste anymore money on something that's not going to live.

#7 · (Edited)
Ramshorn snails do not eat healthy plants... maybe your plant was dying...

Moss, Java fern, Anubias... these will be some options if you reall think your snails ate the plants.

I have tanks full of ramshorns, they dont touch the plants unless the plants are not doing so well.

#13 ·
No, marimo moss balls come in balls. When they split (because without the rolling waters they come from in Japan, they generally split pretty easy) they form more of a moss 'mass' lol. I had my regular moss ball spread out on driftwood for months and it never attached so I took it off and rolled it back up. Now it's all sloppy looking! lol
You're thinking of java moss, or christmas moss. They are the clumps of hair like moss which, yes, will do okay in a variety of light and water conditions :)

#14 ·
Those wouldn't be bad I guess if I had more than one in each tank but the only place I've ever found those or moss of any kind for that matter is Pet Smart for $8.99 each. That's just a little much. I need to work a couple small heaters into the budget before winter. Right now their water is fine but I suspect it will get too cool this winter.

#15 ·
yes, moss balls in stores are ridiculous. I got my small ones (nano) on ebay for like 5$ shipping included. Costs nothing to sell them because they're drained of most of their water so they fit flat and are light :)
I think if you're in the states, there are members who sell their extra plants for cheap or free or trade. Which makes me want to live in the staes!
You can post in the classifieds section. Mo, for one, is always selling plants. Mo will also give you great advice on their maintenance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.