Betta Fish Forum banner

Lila Jumped.

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
I was away for the weekend and I came home this afternoon and the first thing I did was feed my fish. Except I couldn't find Lila. She's in a 5 gallon, and she's small but she usually swims up to the front when I come in the room. So I took the hood off, and I was looking all over the tank from every direction, but I couldn't find her... then I saw her on the floor all dried up. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm so sad!! I don't know why she jumped! She never jumped before, and the opening in the back of the hood is small. I noticed the opening in the betta log was lined up with the opening in the back of the hood, but I don't know why she would have jumped out! I'm just sad and confused and I feel really bad. :cry:

#4 ·
I'm very sorry for your loss.

It is instinctual for Betta fish to jump... many people learn this the hard way. I know I have. That is why they must have a lid on their tank and all openings covered. I use plastic craft mesh, cut to size, and tape it on the lid to cover any holes.

#5 ·
So sorry for your loss :(. I had 2 bettas jumped. First one jumped because i put another betta that i just bought in small container, so i guess he got excited and jumped . I couldn't save him. Another one now is about 4.5 years old i heard him and pick him up right away. So it happened. btw first betta had a lid on his bowl .
Sorry :(

#8 ·
i'm so sorry for your loss. we almost had a situation like that earlier this week, the way our Eric's tank is made, there's a notch in the top for the filter to poke through, but normally it takes up nearly the entire hole. that evening, however, the filter slid down into the tank during a water change, and before we noticed it had slid we heard a loud flapping sound from his tank and saw him clear an inch of air outside the top before falling back in. now we're paranoid and have old betta-seller cups covering the notch, the feeding hole, and even the tiny notch for the airline tube to come out of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.