Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Training Bettas.

Tags
arteries
13K views 97 replies 29 participants last post by  Hiraga 
#1 ·
I can train Perry to stop,go,and come here. Anyone have a suggestion what I can train Perry to do next?

#3 ·
I heard you can teach a fish to jump by holding a bit of food above the water! Maybe you can teach him to go in little circles! That would be cute!

#7 · (Edited)
CAUTION:Your betta might be overfed by this trick. Here's how I trained her. (It might not work. Do not push your betta into doing something. Always be patient and wait.)Make sure your fish is away from you. Put a piece of food in the water in front of you. Say your betta's name and say "come here." For example:"Perry! Come here." Do that 9-15 times. Then, put the food in front of the tank then say your betta's name and "come here." Do 9-15 few times. Now pretend to put a piece of food in the tank and say your betta's name and "come here." Does it come?(If it doesn't try again. If it doesn't still then just come see me.) Good luck and happy training!:)

#10 ·
Oh yes, you can train your betta, sounds soo cute, I have my bettas trained to jump for food, by putting a pellet on my finger, I have one of my bettas sing..lol..(you know when they move their mouth really fast, like they are yelling at you) well,I did that with one of my fish, while playing music..it is hysterical..and yes, they know their names if you call them by their names a lot, and they will recognize your voice, as well.

Bettas are very intelligent, and they have the ability to be trained like dogs. I talk to my bettas all the time, spend a lot of time watching, and observing all their activity..they are a lot of fun, and wonderful lil fishy's to have.

There is a Betta Training Kit, that I saw on Amazon.com and you can train your betta to play with a ping pong ball, and swim in an out of hoops, it's a very cool kit.

#13 ·
They are very smart, Perseus learned his name very fast and will come out of hiding when I call for him, its so adorable how he will peek his little head out from where he is when I call him and then he will swim to my side of the tank where he always sees me sitting. Also he has started something new this week, in the mornings after I feed him he will stay in that spot and stare at me for awhile not moving, I think he is trying to get more food or something...lol

#14 ·
Actually if you have a Betta Log, they are great, bettas love em, and they float, so they move a lot, and when my betta is in his, there is a hole on top, you can feed from that hole, and when it's feeding time, just put your finger in the hole, so your betta can see it, and call his name to get his attention, and he will readily swim into the log to be fed. It is so darn cute..and fun:)

#15 ·
I've discovered that not only can they be trained like dogs (I've trained mine to jump for bloodworms), but they also beg for food like dogs too, at least mine does. She also gets crazy excited whenever I come into the room just like dogs do. She almost burst through her tank when I came home after being gone for 4 days (I had my mom come over to feed her, but my mom said Fishy didn't get very excited that she was there to give her food) It's amazing the similarities.

#26 ·
you can train them to flare on command if you like. take a thin-beam flashlight and a small mirror. hold the mirror up to the tank and as soon as he flares, flash the light. do this a few times a day for a week or so, then start trying it without the mirror, just flash the light. if he's caught on to the game, he will have a conditioned response and flare at the light alone.

i saw a video on youtube of a guy who taught a betta to jump back and forth between two bowls of water. i can't even fathom how long that took, or how long it's been since that guy was on a date :p

#29 ·
Well, I didn't train him to do this, but I was using the zoomed mirror today, and Mori was way more interested in the ball than the mirror. He ignored his own reflection, staring intently at the ball, and then jumped and hit it with his head! I thought it was hilarious. Anyone know of any tricks with a ball I can teach him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.