Betta Fish Forum banner

Pet stores encouraging small bowls?

7K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
I was surfing the web for betta photos, and opened a pet store's website because of an interesting photo they had showing how they got their bettas from the wholesale providers.

So I thought, that's interesting to actually SEE how a petstore can receive them from abroad. Then the killer... they actually wrote (and the photo is from their website... it's not mine)

<<<<<"
LA
Since they came in these tiny bags, you know you can keep them in bowls.Several companies make "betta bowls."
Small Containers. Bettas need little room because they breathe air. Unfortunately, most small containers pose heating problems. You can find “betta barracks“ that attach to the inside of your community tank with suction cups. These house up to four bettas. Small 21/2 gallon tanks divide into three separate compartments and will accept small heaters and filters. Metal-framed seven-compartment “betta tanks“ used to be quite common. You rarely see these anymore -- except in garage sales.">>>>>

Then in a logo on the top of the page they say "one per tank please"

Someone commented that their article was cruel, and they answered that "tiny bowls are only meant as temporary homes" in the bottom. But they are encouraging people to house them permanently like this and say no where that permanent housing should be spacious.

What's with this kind of business practice? Often times it seems like pet store employees are just ignorant, but what about people like this that clearly are aware that bettas need more space... but still encourage small bowls?

I really wish they would make a size limit on fish bowls :( at least nothing smaller than half a gallon should be sold as a fish bowl... and I certainly hope they stop advertising tanks of less than a gallon as "betta bowls"

I think that's the only way people are going to learn that tiny bowls are not acceptable :|

See less See more
#34 ·
That is cruel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will do something. I will i will i will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#37 ·
Sorry, I do not think it is cruel they only stay there a bit but th bowls were bad the website has many problems getting to files too.

#39 ·
All my critters, fish to dogs to cats and a bird are like my kids. I would never want to see them crammed into a tiny little shipping device and then be told that they will do just fine in a space twice that size. I feel responsible for them when I take them home, they are dependent on me. I want to take proper care of them. Websites shouldn't encourage such false info, our pets deserve better.

#40 ·
I agree I keep both my Bettas in tanks of 10 or more. I could have divided a 10 gallon and had more but the Betta would be visible and make it to the other side. I am trying to get my parents let me get a five gallon tank and put an elephant ear Betta in there. I would never dream of putting my Betta in one of those bowls. Most of the commenter ore lied about there fish.

#44 ·
One of the pet stores in my town sells 'betta tanks' that are only half litre [so about 0.13 gallons]. It makes me so so mad seeing them, especially when I look at my bigger ones, Flake & Richard & know that there's no room to swim around. Next time Im there [tomorrow] I'll take a photo & show you.

When I went to buy their new 5 gallon tanks this young guy working there said I only needed a small tank cause they dont need much care & my boyfriend said 'you should have seen the look on your face when he told you that'! I was nice & kept my mouth shut though.

#45 ·
i kep my VT in a .5g unheated for a few weeks with wc every 1-2 days f until i go a bigger tank for him. i fell for the betta myth regarding the tiny tanks also.

#48 ·
I wish their was something that kept people not interested with fish away from fish like no one looks at me crazy because of my 10 gallon because everyone knows in my area fish aspie vs non-fish NT aspie wins plus I have a reputation of high intelligance in my area.

#49 ·
Yeah all the pet store owners around here give me weird looks when I tell them I have single Betta's in 4.5 gallon tanks. Theres only one lady in one store that realizes they should be treated like any other fish with their housing & she is always shocked by how much I've been telling her about them [which I pretty much all learnt from this site lol].

I want to work at our big pet store here, because they like to hire people who are trained in particular areas, & I know they don't have a Betta expert, but 1. I really dont think they'd appreciate me telling all the customers that NO, you CANT keep them in a half gallon tank & expect it to be happy/survive & 2. Im trying to get a promotion at my current work & getting a second job wont help that situation lol. :(

#50 ·
They like me at Pecto the aquatic expert said they hire me when I am 18 also unlike many stores most employees are in there 30s they also regret being forced to sell bowls and the live food tank gets daily water changes and the Betta water is spotless the fish are great.

#52 ·
" Bettas rarely kill each other." "They also love house flies" "Bettas burn up little energy compared to most fishes. For instance, a zebra danio needs about 10 times more food because it never stops swimming. Bettas stop swimming all the time. They swim even less in small containers." "I read the complaint from that Kirsti Hanna and I think it's obvious she doesn't know much about bettas...I know for a fact that they don't do well in big tanks." "People whose bettas live in glass houses should not throw stones." "Speaking of off topic, bettas are not puppies. I am not recommemding that you or anyone else keep your bettas in small containers. You can use whatever size you want. I reported on real life -- not some imaginary world where every betta lives in a 2.5-gallon tank. Why not a 50-foot bong in Thailand? What entitles you to keep your bettas in captivity? Anyway, you're entitled to your own provincial opinion. LA
PS
I'll probably keep my website"
OH DEAR GOD, how can they fit so much stupid into one website!?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.