Betta Fish Forum banner

Going to try a NPT

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ao 
#1 ·
So I have a baby female betta. I guess she isn't a baby maybe about 4-5 months? anywho, she is in a 1 gallong hospital tank and this weekend I wanted to go buy her a new home. I love the look of NPTs and I've read all the stickys. But I didn't see what the tank requirement is. Maybe someone can give me a shopping list??? :-D PLEASE!!! lol

I know i need organic soil
sand
plants
special lighting
I have a 50watt heater

I want to stay away from high maintenance plants.
Also how to arrange them?

I'm a little slow..lol I have to re read everything and then read again. Lol. pls i'm a visual learner so reading doesn't help. LOL. Eventually I want my other 3 tanks to be NPTs.

Thank you to all who will help!!!!

#7 ·
Thank you for that drawing. What is the min. size tank i can use? Also can you give me the names of the plants and what they classify as (steam,floaters, etc.) I just want to hand the list over to the sales person at my LFS and get in and out lol. Usually I end up spending too much.

#8 ·
Awesome drawing, Aokashi! :D Good advice, too!

NPT's are totally rewarding. It can take a couple of months for them to 'settle in' - for the soil to adjust and the plants to start really booming with growth. But when they do, oh boy! It's really something to experience.

I'd recommend having a sort of 'plan' for planting - what species and where - before you put your fish in. This will save you making a mess of your tank by uprooting things later on. It's really worth doing a bit of homework regarding plants first..

Also, be prepared to trim your plants a lot! A pair of long-handled scissors is very handy indeed.

#9 ·
I recommend you start small. maybe a 2.5 gallon tank. this way you will spend less and understand the process.
2 gallons is much ceheaper to stock than a 10 gallon.

Stem plants you can buy are anacharis, water wisteria, cabomba, naja grass...
one or two bunches can fill up a two gallon. when you plant them. simply inset it the right way up into the substrate. if the stem plant is longer than the tank, simply cut it in half and plant both halves.

floater arent really sold in petshops. howeer water wisteria an anacharis do very well left floating, so these can be a substitute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.