So you want to rescue bettas? - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Posts: 1,885
Petsmart will give fish away for free if they are ill and they don't think they can sell them or they'll die. Not sure id petco does the same or not but for anyone wanting to rescue those are the first places to look.

IBC Member since 2013
LadyVictorian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:18 AM
ao
Member
 
ao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,440
petco takes them away...probably to the back to die. they cannot give away or sell sick fish...
Their bettas are wayyyy over priced anyway...
ao is offline  
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Posts: 1,885
I figured as much, just one more reason I like petsmart more ^-^ My friend got a free rat from their with their adoption program because it was too aggressive to sell. I got a free mouse because she was super sick and I said I could get her proper care (even if she died because the care came too late). So I know if they do it with these animals they would do it with fish. The fish there are cheaper than a rat.

IBC Member since 2013
LadyVictorian is offline  
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Member
 
LionCalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 460
Great thread and message!

Whether or not Walmart will give you a sick/cruelly treated fish for free rests on the shoulders of the manager. Always ask to speak to one and then plead your case to him or her. Regular employee's are not allowed to make that decision, so asking them is pointless. I've had the best luck getting free fish from Walmart when I speak to the manger. Also, they are the one's who implement change and better care for the fish, so politely point out the areas of improvement.

Yes, Walmart does get reimbursed for the dead fish... but they are still taking a loss when their 'stock' all dies or no one buys them. We do not know how much money they make off the dead fish. I can assure you it is even close to full price. That would be foolish on the part of the supplier. The message you send when you pay full price for a sick/cruelly treated fish is the same. Obviously not buying the fish does make a difference, because many Walmart stores have stopped selling fish completely.

Hit these companies that support cruelty where it hurts the most; their bank accounts and reputation.

Erika | Betta Fish Enthusiast & Advocate

[ My Betta Boys ]

Lucky ~ Rescued DT
LionCalie is offline  
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Member
 
toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 610
The Petco near me is very good about caring for their bettas; the water is always clean and none of them appear to be "sick". They are doing about as well as one can do in a couple ounces of water.

2 of my bettas came from Petco, and aside from an injury/genetic defect on one of them, they are perfectly healthy. I probably could have gotten the injured one for free but I was too shy to ask. My 3 crowntails came from Wally World, and I paid for them because I could never get a hold of a manager, and had complained at least 6 times about the water without anything being done. I finally just gave up and did what was best for the individual animals (taking them with me).

So, yes, I am guilty of sympathy purchases; there are obviously better options to try first, but I don't think a sympathy purchase is necessarily a bad thing.

The only cure for ignorance is education, and bullying or attacking someone is no way to educate them.
toad is offline  
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Member
 
Friendlyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 613
Is it a law that a betta cannot be considered a rescue if you purchase it? I simply ask because I disagree with the theory, I understand your point...but I also think it depends on the actual situation at hand. I would condsider my new VT a rescue even though I did pay for the fish.
My local petco normally stocks 100 betta fish, females, males, all different colors and types. In those 100 stocked fish their are maybe 2 that appear to be dying, 2 that appeat to have swim bladder and maybe 8 male VT's that have clamped tails on a general basis. I think their cups could be kept a tad but cleaner but compared to our walmart petco's cups are pretty decent.
Our petco sells the nicest betta's in the area. We have walmart, petco and pet quarters. I would never buy betta from walmart, their betta's make me want to cry! And although its tempting, I dont want to support the store selling betta. Our petquarters is a little better than walmart, they stock a lot less fish which I like but even their bettas arent very healthy in appearance. Our local petco is the best for us and they do provide the most variety and the better care of their fish out of the 3 choices so it is where I buy my betta's.
My newest fish whome I consider a "rescue" is from our local petco. The reason I consider him a rescue - on Thursday they got their new shipment in and along with maybe 20 fancy betta's they got maybe 40 or 50 sick ill bettas that were underfed and dull. Ive been going their for my pet supplies for a while now and this is not a normal shipment for our petco. The young salesman that works there said it was a shame to get a shipment in like that. They had placed them on the front shelf to try and sell them faster (and someone already said it, they wont give them away). Since its not a normal occurance at the store and my new guy was a mere $3.99 I will consider him my rescue. I hope my petco doesnt order from that breeder again and I doubt they will because that was just sad and even they were disapointed.
But it all goes back to me saying, it all depends on the situation.
Friendlyfishies is offline  
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Petsmart will give fish away for free if they are ill and they don't think they can sell them or they'll die. Not sure id petco does the same or not but for anyone wanting to rescue those are the first places to look.
Not all Petsmarts are allowed to do this. My local Petsmart isnt allowed to give fish away. They can only do a 50% off damaged goods discount. I resent the fact that my pretty lady Rudy was labeled damaged goods.
Freyja is offline  
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
Is it a law that a betta cannot be considered a rescue if you purchase it? I simply ask because I disagree with the theory, I understand your point...but I also think it depends on the actual situation at hand. I would condsider my new VT a rescue even though I did pay for the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Not all Petsmarts are allowed to do this. My local Petsmart isnt allowed to give fish away. They can only do a 50% off damaged goods discount. I resent the fact that my pretty lady Rudy was labeled damaged goods.


That is my fear, I really doubt ANY store around here will give away a seriously sick fish, they would rather flush it. I will try, of course, to get the discount/free fish but if I can't I will pay full price. Call it whatever you want
registereduser is offline  
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
MoonShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Winchester, KY
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
Great thread and message!

Whether or not Walmart will give you a sick/cruelly treated fish for free rests on the shoulders of the manager. Always ask to speak to one and then plead your case to him or her. Regular employee's are not allowed to make that decision, so asking them is pointless. I've had the best luck getting free fish from Walmart when I speak to the manger. Also, they are the one's who implement change and better care for the fish, so politely point out the areas of improvement.

Yes, Walmart does get reimbursed for the dead fish... but they are still taking a loss when their 'stock' all dies or no one buys them. We do not know how much money they make off the dead fish. I can assure you it is even close to full price. That would be foolish on the part of the supplier. The message you send when you pay full price for a sick/cruelly treated fish is the same. Obviously not buying the fish does make a difference, because many Walmart stores have stopped selling fish completely.

Hit these companies that support cruelty where it hurts the most; their bank accounts and reputation.
Fabulous!! Exactly +1000

From my experience working a summer in the pet section of walmart a few years ago is that when fish die at walmart they are marked down on a sheet, we had to go through the tanks 2x a day scoop out the dead fish and then mark down on the sheet how many of each kind of fish were dead. At the end of that week the sheet was mailed to the supplier who in turn re-imbursed walmart for all of the dead fish. I believe they get back only what they pay for the fish which isn't much, $0.20, $0.30, $0.40 a fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
So, yes, I am guilty of sympathy purchases; there are obviously better options to try first, but I don't think a sympathy purchase is necessarily a bad thing.
Exactly! Try and get the fish for free first, or discounted, make some sort of impact, and and if you want the fish still and you can't get it for free then buy it, it's not wrong to buy them, but at least try the other route first!! I'm not trying to say that sympathy purchases are a bad thing, they are not! But technically IMHO if you're putting money in the pockets of the companies who mistreated the fish in the first place it can't be considered a true rescue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
Is it a law that a betta cannot be considered a rescue if you purchase it? I simply ask because I disagree with the theory, I understand your point...but I also think it depends on the actual situation at hand. I would condsider my new VT a rescue even though I did pay for the fish.
I think it all depends on the situation... It's a thin line I guess, I don't think putting money in the pockets of these companies is doing these little fish any favors because then they are never going to learn, they'll say "Well that fish was in horrible condition but someone paid money for it anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter how we treat our fish because there is always someone who will buy them"

But yes if you buy a sick fish with the intention of nursing it back to health, then yes you are rescuing that fish from an otherwise certain death. Do you understand what I'm saying? It's a bit of a grey area!

One hand reaches out and pulls a lost soul from harm. While a thousand more go unspoken for, they say what good have you done? By saving just this one... It's like whispering a prayer in the fury of a storm. And I hear them saying... You'll never change things...
MoonShadow Betta Fish Rescue
Saving the world one innocent life at a time
MoonShadow is offline  
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Member
 
OrangeAugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,327
Great post! I think "rescue" is thrown around too much around here. I made a "sympathy purchase" for my second betta because he'd been in the store for a couple of weeks at least, and he had tons of poop in the bottom of his cup- it was really gross, so I bought him. But I never claimed it was a "rescue". Though I applaud anyone who either buys a really sick fish or gets one for free. No matter what you call it, it's still wonderful.
It's good to clarify "rescue" vs. "sympathy purchase".
And I love all of your ideas for things you can do for the bettas if you can't buy any more at the moment.
Great post!
OrangeAugust is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So you want to rescue bettas? Read this! Miharu Betta Chat 5 12-13-2010 01:01 PM
Bettas in need: Rescue or not? Laurenie Betta Chat 10 09-07-2010 06:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome