How do I politely tell my boss she isn’t properly caring for her betta? - Page 3 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 PM
ao
Member
 
ao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,440
hahaha
that will be awkward XD

just approach her like ur happy to see another betta lover :D
people are usually suspicious and non trusting of sneakiness :P
ao is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
I think the pamphlet is the least dangerous. Your boss may do more research and realize her care is bad.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 12:07 AM
New Member
 
WashingtonCowgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tenino WA
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I think the pamphlet is the least dangerous. Your boss may do more research and realize her care is bad.
I disagree. I think that sneaking a pamphlet in would be most dangerous. Just talk to her, find a way to bring up bettas.

3 gal- Blue/red male veiltail
10 gal- Sorority
WashingtonCowgirl is offline  
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonCowgirl View Post
I disagree. I think that sneaking a pamphlet in would be most dangerous. Just talk to her, find a way to bring up bettas.
It is zero risk to her job. Some people get angry when told there care is bad. If the boss doubts the care she researchs it. If the boss believes the care she follows it. If the boss ignore it then tell the person yourself.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM
New Member
 
WashingtonCowgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tenino WA
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
It is zero risk to her job. Some people get angry when told there care is bad. If the boss doubts the care she researchs it. If the boss believes the care she follows it. If the boss ignore it then tell the person yourself.
Yes. And if she gets caught, the boss will bring it up. I know if I were the boss, that would lead to some hurt feelings on my part. Its something so simple to just TALK about, and if my employees don't feel comfortable doing that then what am I doing wrong?

3 gal- Blue/red male veiltail
10 gal- Sorority
WashingtonCowgirl is offline  
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
If she is not caught two out of the three options work. The stragey is meant for her if she fears her boss will argue and get defensive if not talking is a great idea.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:06 PM
ao
Member
 
ao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,440
There are lots of ways to talk so people don't get defensive :)
as long as it's not:
"You need a 5 gallon tank! you need a heater! you need to do water changes! or he will die!"

lololol because that's what really gets people defensive.
ao is offline  
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Member
 
SnowySurface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Shore, NY
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
It is zero risk to her job. Some people get angry when told there care is bad. If the boss doubts the care she researchs it. If the boss believes the care she follows it. If the boss ignore it then tell the person yourself.
In my experience, it's more dangerous to be passive agrressive than direct. When something is done passive aggressively, it gives off the image that you bottle things up until you explode and then act like you don't have a mushroom cloud above your head. If you think something is being done wrong it is more professional to tell someone in private to their face in a direct manor.

Also, tone is not conveyed well in type or gestures. Quite a few arguements have happened on the forum because people read the wrong tone in a message. The same could happen with a secret pamplet since it could come off as judgemental instead of informative. If the OP just tells her boss face to face, the boss will know the OP isn't being judgemental but caring. The OP noticed a problem, and suggested corrections for the sole purpose of correcting an error. No judgement. No Holier than thou mentality. Only straight to the point facts.

In fact, if I was in the OP's postion and I noticed my department manager had a betta in that set up, I would say, "Excuse me, I've been caring for betta fish for a little over 9 years and couldn't help but notice your's. Bettas are tropical fish that need 78-80 degree water and at least 1 gallon of water to survive. A better set up is 2.5 gallons with a heater and thermometer because 1 gallon tanks are so unstable. Ammonia spikes happen out of no where...the smaller the heater the less reliable it...2.5 gallons is a nice mix of stability and small size."

However, I'm a bit blunt and would have spoken my mind the first time I saw her fish in too small of a set up. I have my two 5 gallon tanks as my screen saver on my computer and have talked about tanks with a co-worker during lunch. It isn't a secret that I'm obsessed with fish. The OP may have to mention that she's been worried about insulting the boss, but wants to share some knowledge before suggesting the upgrade.

Betta Buddies: Jet <:))))<
(\ (\
( ^_^) This is Bunny. Copy and Paste Bunny into
(_(")(") your signature to help him gain world domination!
SnowySurface is offline  
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:15 PM
New Member
 
WashingtonCowgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tenino WA
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
In my experience, it's more dangerous to be passive agrressive than direct. When something is done passive aggressively, it gives off the image that you bottle things up until you explode and then act like you don't have a mushroom cloud above your head. If you think something is being done wrong it is more professional to tell someone in private to their face in a direct manor.

Also, tone is not conveyed well in type or gestures. Quite a few arguements have happened on the forum because people read the wrong tone in a message. The same could happen with a secret pamplet since it could come off as judgemental instead of informative. If the OP just tells her boss face to face, the boss will know the OP isn't being judgemental but caring. The OP noticed a problem, and suggested corrections for the sole purpose of correcting an error. No judgement. No Holier than thou mentality. Only straight to the point facts.

In fact, if I was in the OP's postion and I noticed my department manager had a betta in that set up, I would say, "Excuse me, I've been caring for betta fish for a little over 9 years and couldn't help but notice your's. Bettas are tropical fish that need 78-80 degree water and at least 1 gallon of water to survive. A better set up is 2.5 gallons with a heater and thermometer because 1 gallon tanks are so unstable. Ammonia spikes happen out of no where...the smaller the heater the less reliable it...2.5 gallons is a nice mix of stability and small size."

However, I'm a bit blunt and would have spoken my mind the first time I saw her fish in too small of a set up. I have my two 5 gallon tanks as my screen saver on my computer and have talked about tanks with a co-worker during lunch. It isn't a secret that I'm obsessed with fish. The OP may have to mention that she's been worried about insulting the boss, but wants to share some knowledge before suggesting the upgrade.
This is what I was trying to say lol

3 gal- Blue/red male veiltail
10 gal- Sorority
WashingtonCowgirl is offline  
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Member
 
RandyTheBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 359
Tell your boss about the forum. All other ways could lead to hurt feelings.

Phoenix DLT Male•Dragon HMPK Male•Phantom HMPK Male•Pepsi HMPK Female•Harvest Moon DTPK Male•Dreamless HMPK Male•Randy VT Male•Turbo Zebra Nerite Snail
RandyTheBettaFish is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome