Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks, it really is so upsetting. And absolutely I'll answer, I'm open to any advice to bettering my fish keeping skills.
1. Yes, I have the large API test kit for the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH - low and high.
2. Upon reading the sticky here of OFL water change recommendations I see that I'm probably not doing frequent enough water changes. I'm generally doing about 50% weekly on each tank. I haul water so it can be difficult to get to all of them more than once a week because sometimes I run out of treated water.
3. Depends on the tank, I have some that are live plants only, others are mixed, some are decorations only.
4. 2X 2.5 gallons, 1X 5 gallon, 2X 10 gallon.
5. I feed the New Life Spectrum small fish formula pellets, and just got my hands on some frozen bloodworms but I haven't fed those yet. Since the pellets are super small, about half the size of a "betta" pellet (like those hikari ones) they get 6-8 a day. Fast once a week.
6. The one that died today, showed pineconing, bloating, and I could see camallanus worms coming out of him; also looked to have some fungus starting on him, one that died yesterday was an aquabid buy - died a week after shipment arrival - heaving breathing, inability to properly swim and pineconing, another couldn't swim to the top of his tank, stopped eating and eventually I noticed slight pineconing, another bloated and had swimbladder disease....one just up and died, no idea why and the other got tangled in some plant roots. I think that's all of them :/
I'll probably get over all this in a day or two...it's just so not a nice feeling. Thanks for the support. I really do appreciate it.
Edit: I use prime water conditioner