Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bakersfield, CA
I don't know about other states but this is the law for CA
§597l. Pet shops.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person who operates a pet shop to fail to do all of the following:
(1) Maintain the facilities used for the keeping of pet animals in a sanitary condition.
(2) Provide proper heating and ventilation of the facilities used for the keeping of pet animals.
(3) Provide adequate nutrition for, and humane care and treatment of, all pet animals under his care and control.
(4) Take reasonable care to release for sale, trade or adoption only those pet animals which are free of diseases or injuries.
(5) Provide adequate space appropriate to the size, weight and specie of pet animal.
(b) As used in this section:
(1) "Pet animals" means dogs, cats, monkeys, and other primates, rabbits, birds, guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, snakes, iguanas, turtles and any other species of animal sold or retained for the purpose of being kept as a household pet.
(2) "Pet shop" means every place or premises where pet animals are being kept for the purpose of either wholesale or retail sale. "Pet shop" does not include any place or premises where pet animals are occasionally sold.
(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and is punishable by a fine of not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 90 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
If we could get someone to care they are actually breaking the law. It's just getting someone to care.