Walmart & Petco - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Member
 
danifacetastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North Carolina.
Posts: 653
I agree that when you're getting a betta from a pet store you really aren't 'saving it' since you're supporting the business but you can make a difference by writing letters and complaining. But some people can't afford to get on aquabid and buy these fancy bred bettas...

10 Gal. Divided Tank:
Bright orange Male VT Betta - Buckethead
Blackish body with turqoise and red-orange tail Male CT Betta - Suicune

Other Pets:

  • 2 cats - Stinker(M)and Smudge(F)
  • 1 Syrian Hamster - Rocky (M)


RIP Calypso [12.17.11] and Kwimby [3.29.12]<3
danifacetastic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Member
 
Tsuhei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 351
I agree with not buying a betta from Walmart. It does save that fish, but think about the many more that take its place.

In fact, I don't support Walmart's fish section at all! I just went to one next to my college (about 30 minutes ago), and I was appalled at what I saw!

Warning: These images are really disturbing

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2981/1208101243.jpg
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3575/1208101244.jpg

Picture one: Yes, that's some sort of fungus. It's black. I don't know what it is, but something that big can't just grow overnight.

Picture two: I'm pretty sure those fish aren't supposed to be green...and I'm sure they're supposed to be breathing too.

The rest of the tanks had algae and dead crabs. The betta fish weren't doing so well either...dirty cups..and the water odor smelled foul. I actually gagged walking by the sink.

If you don't buy certain products at a large chain store like Walmart or Petco/Petsmart, then they usually order less and less stock or stop buying the product all together because they lose money on it. The less fish you buy, the less fish they order to torture.

Stamps - M White/Blue/Yellow Fancy HM Plakat; 2.5gal; 80F; Hikari Food Products - Loves Parcel

Parcel - F Blue/White Marble Dragon Fancy HM Plakat; 1.5gal; 80F; Hikari Food Products - Loves Stamps

Astaire - M Blue/Red Veiltail; 2.5gal; 80F; Hikari Food Products

Latt - M "Panda" DT Plakat; 2.5gal; 80F; Hikari Food Products

Aquarium Items:
Aqueon Water Conditioner
API Aquarium Salt - Medical Treatment Only
Indian Almond Leaves


Tsuhei is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Interesting Miharu...so really the whole by buying a fish you're contributing to the problem should be dismissed.
I think in a way yes. Big stores like that don't want to lose money, they don't want to give items away for free, because then they are losing money, if a fish dies they don't lose money, they are compensated and given back whatever they spent on that fish.

If a fish dies on the shelf, it makes room for another fish, just like it would if you bought the fish, and the store doesn't suffer so because they're not losing money so they don't care if the fish dies. I don't think you're contributing to the problem by buying the fish, but I also don't think you can call it a rescue unless you get the betta for free, I hope that makes sense! haha
Miharu is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Member
 
Blaxicanlatino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 129
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
I agree with not buying a betta from Walmart. It does save that fish, but think about the many more that take its place.

In fact, I don't support Walmart's fish section at all! I just went to one next to my college (about 30 minutes ago), and I was appalled at what I saw!

Warning: These images are really disturbing

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2981/1208101243.jpg
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3575/1208101244.jpg

Picture one: Yes, that's some sort of fungus. It's black. I don't know what it is, but something that big can't just grow overnight.

Picture two: I'm pretty sure those fish aren't supposed to be green...and I'm sure they're supposed to be breathing too.

The rest of the tanks had algae and dead crabs. The betta fish weren't doing so well either...dirty cups..and the water odor smelled foul. I actually gagged walking by the sink.

If you don't buy certain products at a large chain store like Walmart or Petco/Petsmart, then they usually order less and less stock or stop buying the product all together because they lose money on it. The less fish you buy, the less fish they order to torture.
thats horrible!! there was a petstore that just opened up near me (forgot the name of it) and after a week or 2, some tanks had 2 inches of white mush above the substrate. mold? fungus? not sure. dead fish? everwhere. i complained. but didnt workout since the manager ***** a sleeveless undershirt and covered with tattoos. had to go to the register person, who I also had to hunt down, to ask who was the manager!!! He just shrugged 0_0 im like?!?! ?!0_0?! WHA?!!! i came back the next daywith my camera and took pics of the tanks. He was very upset and demanded to know why i was taking pics, even tried to snatch the camera from me. I said Oh youll find out soon enough. I did nothing however... but after 2 or so weeks, they closed down...

Hit me up Baby

Last edited by Blaxicanlatino; 12-08-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Blaxicanlatino is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 PM
New Member
 
hailukah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 30
I'm rather impressed with the Wal-marts in my area. I went to one recently and stopped by the fish tanks and all of the tanks were empty. We tracked down the pet associate and he said they had to remove all of their fish because of issues with their water hardness. He said he didn't know if/when they would start carrying fish again.

It's good to see that they would forgo sales when faced with unhealthy tanks.
hailukah is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Member
 
Blaxicanlatino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailukah View Post
I'm rather impressed with the Wal-marts in my area. I went to one recently and stopped by the fish tanks and all of the tanks were empty. We tracked down the pet associate and he said they had to remove all of their fish because of issues with their water hardness. He said he didn't know if/when they would start carrying fish again.


It's good to see that they would forgo sales when faced with unhealthy tanks.
that is good to hear 0_0

Hit me up Baby
Blaxicanlatino is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Member
 
nomoretickets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 247
i dont have a problem with bettas in cups so long as they are maintained. i understand it is impossible to keep store bettas in the appropriate tanks because it is far to expensive and impractical. my objection to walmart and similar stores treatment of the fish is not the size of the cups, but the lack of maintainence of said cups.

My Girlfriend and I have these Bettas
Wannahockaloogie-Male VT-Blue w/ purple tips.
Mist-Male CT-Dark Green/Blue.
Kitty-Female Delta-Purple Cambodian
Boo-Female Delta-Cellophane
Nala-Female VT-Orange Cambodian
Hippie-Male CT-Red, White, and Blue Dalmation
Puddles-Male CT-White w/aqua fins and light red tips
Casper-Male CT-Cellophane

R.I.P. Jasmine
R.I.P. Uni
R.I.P. Crackhead
R.I.P. Blues
nomoretickets is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Member
 
baylee767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hawaii- Go Diamond head!
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailukah View Post
I'm rather impressed with the Wal-marts in my area. I went to one recently and stopped by the fish tanks and all of the tanks were empty. We tracked down the pet associate and he said they had to remove all of their fish because of issues with their water hardness. He said he didn't know if/when they would start carrying fish again.

It's good to see that they would forgo sales when faced with unhealthy tanks.
I feel so stuipid but what exactly is water hardness? 0_0

If guppies are jewels, than Bettas must be rainbows

Proud owner of Neon, Ryu, and a still unnamed CT
baylee767 is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Member
 
celine18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoretickets View Post
i dont have a problem with bettas in cups so long as they are maintained. i understand it is impossible to keep store bettas in the appropriate tanks because it is far to expensive and impractical. my objection to walmart and similar stores treatment of the fish is not the size of the cups, but the lack of maintainence of said cups.
i agree! i think of cups as a holding place until bettas can find their new, nice home. i know, not all people will take good care of their bettas, but i like to think they do. but when i go to a store, and the water quality is bad, it's wrong, because technically, that is a product, and stores are supposed to maintain the quality of their products. by allowing the bettas to get to such a horrible point is extreeemely irresponsible, by the fish care-taker, and the management, who should be making sure that their employees are taking care of their responsibilities that they are being paid to do.

oh! on a nicer note, one of my local walmartshas officially stopped selling bettas!!! (sadly, this isn't the one where soda had been poured into the cup, i think that one's still selling them....)

Sam I Am - VT (9/2010 - 1/26/2013)
celine18 is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Member
 
BettaGirl290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bothell and Shoreline, Washington, US
Posts: 560
My petco isnt that bad, i found a gold betta there once, i begged my dad but he said no. :(

Got my boy Ceviche<3
and a plant named Frank
BettaGirl290 is offline  
Reply

Tags
petco walmart fish store

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome