People are gonna get mad - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Member
 
1fish2fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,904
If you don't have a way to test ammonia you can not be certain that they are clean. Ammonia is clear but in a tank under a gallon it will reach levels high enough to start causing your fish internal damage in less than a week, prolonged exposure will eventually kill your fish.

Personally I believe.. if your going to have a pet why only give it the bare minimum? If you have a hamster and only keep in in a small cage with a wheel it'll survive... but why wouldn't you want to make it's life as interesting as possible by giving it room to move around and explore?

*Be smart.. Do your research!!*[/COLOR][/FONT]
[/CENTER]

1fish2fish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
davidbailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 39
Well you have to admit, they're much better living with me then probably dying at the pet store. I don't think one of mine, butterface, would have lived much longer. His water was really bad and I think he might have breathing problems from it now :/
davidbailey is offline  
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Member
 
FuulieQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
Agreed. And given that I have a small room with limited space, I can only have certain sizes of tanks... and so many.... As I'll be going into the Air Force soon, I don't want to leave all my fish and Samm (turtle) to my granparents... when they don't even know I have more than two bettas. xD

But they'll be in good hands.

Anyway, thankfully I had enough room to squeeze in a 20 gal, 10 gal, 3 gal, 1 gal, and a half gallon right next to my laptop (which has my six guppy babies in it atm... it was my QT. :D' )
And I'll have to find either a 2.5 gal tank for my betta who is on the way here... or a 1 gal vase. Which... all the vases my grama has on hand aren't big enough that I think my new HM would be happy swimming in there.

Water changes are fairly easy to keep up with , too. All you do is let some water sit long enough to get chlorine out and/or use dechlorinator and switch out the water in whatever way you choose. At least every other da--... well... it depends on the size of your tank. xP
Those who think it takes too long or is a hassle should look up easier ways to do it, 'cause really... it's not hard. And it's better than finding a pale/sick/dead betta a while later.
I had a bit of a special case. :P I had to cart water long-distance to change my water, and as a student I didn't have much time. xD

It's just been a lot better with the planted 5gal. I know that if I don't have time to change water once a week the plants will take care of it for a while, although I haven't had to let it go yet.

BETTAS:
Robert Falcon Scott - Red salamander HM plakat
Passed on- Friedrich "Freedy"

OTHER CRITTERS:
Four African Dwarf Frogs - Dorkus, Sporkus, Baron(ess), and Bubbles!
FuulieQ is offline  
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
I had a bit of a special case. :P I had to cart water long-distance to change my water, and as a student I didn't have much time. xD

It's just been a lot better with the planted 5gal. I know that if I don't have time to change water once a week the plants will take care of it for a while, although I haven't had to let it go yet.
Ha! That's understandable... and cart the water from where to your dorm, if I may ask? |D

I try to keep all the tanks I have with plants. That way, if something happens that I completely forget to change the water one day, I don't have to feel completely guilty.

BlakbirdxGyarados is offline  
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbailey View Post
Well you have to admit, they're much better living with me then probably dying at the pet store. I don't think one of mine, butterface, would have lived much longer. His water was really bad and I think he might have breathing problems from it now :/
True, it might be better than a pet store. But it really is better to try to change the water a bit more often. It might help his breathing problems, too, but only time can tell that, really.

BlakbirdxGyarados is offline  
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Personally I believe.. if your going to have a pet why only give it the bare minimum? If you have a hamster and only keep in in a small cage with a wheel it'll survive... but why wouldn't you want to make it's life as interesting as possible by giving it room to move around and explore?
It was proven that animals with a lot of things they can interact with in their environment makes them smarter. :D

Just something to think about. x)

BlakbirdxGyarados is offline  
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Member
 
FuulieQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
Ha! That's understandable... and cart the water from where to your dorm, if I may ask? |D

I try to keep all the tanks I have with plants. That way, if something happens that I completely forget to change the water one day, I don't have to feel completely guilty.
Somewhere ridiculous. l< I used a big metal bucket. Haha. It was terrible, and my room was the size of a bathroom. Seriously. I was miserable last year. xD

BETTAS:
Robert Falcon Scott - Red salamander HM plakat
Passed on- Friedrich "Freedy"

OTHER CRITTERS:
Four African Dwarf Frogs - Dorkus, Sporkus, Baron(ess), and Bubbles!
FuulieQ is offline  
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,309
well, i know most of mine were happier when they were upgraded to larger tanks. Cup's alot more active now, even with his longer fins, than he was in his one gallon tank. same with Freya, a CT female who passed away Halloween weekend. she went from a .5, up to a 2.5, and was really happy about the space. she'd explore for hours, finding new things that she'd get excited about. only betta i've ever had who DIDN'T like more space, is Lulu. she's honestly happier in her 1 gallon, than she was in a 2.5 gallon. if i ever get the chance to do my dream tanks(two 20 gallons, divided 4 ways), i'll try her out in a '5', but if she doesn't like it, she'll stay in a 1, with daily water changes.
Luimeril is offline  
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
Somewhere ridiculous. l< I used a big metal bucket. Haha. It was terrible, and my room was the size of a bathroom. Seriously. I was miserable last year. xD
Oh man... well, glad things are better now. xD
Or I hope they are, lol.

BlakbirdxGyarados is offline  
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
Posts: 927
I try to upgrade as I get the space and money for it... And as long as the fish is fine with the updrade. In the meantime, I upkeep what they're in as I should.

BlakbirdxGyarados is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome