The decline of VTs? - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
kdunkerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 23
The decline of VTs?

Hi everyone,

I was reading somewhere about the decline in popularity of VTs and how people don't want to breed them anymore and they aren't being allowed in show circuits. I was just curious of some opinions from a betta loving community. I know the new tail types can be SPECTACULAR but my little VTs still fascinate me while swimming and flaring.

All opinions welcome!

~To watch a fish,
is to watch an ever changing
work of art~
kdunkerl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Member
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lismore, NSW
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdunkerl View Post
Hi everyone,

I was reading somewhere about the decline in popularity of VTs and how people don't want to breed them anymore and they aren't being allowed in show circuits. I was just curious of some opinions from a betta loving community. I know the new tail types can be SPECTACULAR but my little VTs still fascinate me while swimming and flaring.

All opinions welcome!
when breeding a vt x something else the vt line dominates so the fry become majority vts and the decline would be because the quality of vts are dropping and with the amount of low quality vts pumping out if you saw a low quality vt beside a pretty dt or hm or sd r ct im sure youd go the other yes?

Female Bettas:Gaia,Bubbles,Tabitha, Rani, Kelsey, 4 unnamed Male Bettas:Oscar, Spyro, Cookie Monster, Kermit The Frog, Grover II, Alvin, Archillies, Moostash
Snails: Yoshi,Peach,Lugi,Mario
Others:Quismodo, Esmerelda, Lavern, Banch(<Guppies) 2 unnamed bristle noses, 2 unnamed reticulate "yoyo" loaches
Furbabies: Kobi & Beau
M F S ˙ʇƨσן ǝƨσɥʇ σʇ ǝɔɐǝԀ ʋƖ ʇƨǝᴚ
"Can never have too many fish"
Abby is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 AM
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,309
it's partly because they've been so overbred by pet store breeders. i go to the pet store, and i see mostly Veils and Crowns. i was super lucky to grab up Ichi, who's a possible Delta. that's part of why i'm including Veils in my Orange Dal line, because no one wants to breed them other than people looking to make a quick buck, and pet store breeders.
Luimeril is offline  
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
kdunkerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 23
Quote:
when breeding a vt x something else the vt line dominates so the fry become majority vts and the decline would be because the quality of vts are dropping and with the amount of low quality vts pumping out if you saw a low quality vt beside a pretty dt or hm or sd r ct im sure youd go the other yes?
I do see your point. I guess my problem is I have no access to HMs or DTs since any LPS around me only have VTs and CTs. It's really upsetting that even the specialty aquarium store near me doesn't carry a wider variety:(.

~To watch a fish,
is to watch an ever changing
work of art~
kdunkerl is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
kdunkerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 23
Quote:
that's part of why i'm including Veils in my Orange Dal line, because no one wants to breed them other than people looking to make a quick buck, and pet store breeders.
I'm glad to see you're including them in breeding. I was looking at breeding, not necessarily with the interntion of trying any time soon but after I read the article/post, I was just surprised. I got the impression that no one outside of pet stores was breeding them.

~To watch a fish,
is to watch an ever changing
work of art~
kdunkerl is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,309
well, the most common Orange Dalmatian IS the Veiltail, so why not try to improve the Veil line, while i'm breeding something few do? x3 my first betta was an orange dal veil, so they hold a special place in my heart. :d
Luimeril is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:14 AM
Member
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lismore, NSW
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
it's partly because they've been so overbred by pet store breeders. i go to the pet store, and i see mostly Veils and Crowns. i was super lucky to grab up Ichi, who's a possible Delta. that's part of why i'm including Veils in my Orange Dal line, because no one wants to breed them other than people looking to make a quick buck, and pet store breeders.

I find if the colours different they are wanted.

Female Bettas:Gaia,Bubbles,Tabitha, Rani, Kelsey, 4 unnamed Male Bettas:Oscar, Spyro, Cookie Monster, Kermit The Frog, Grover II, Alvin, Archillies, Moostash
Snails: Yoshi,Peach,Lugi,Mario
Others:Quismodo, Esmerelda, Lavern, Banch(<Guppies) 2 unnamed bristle noses, 2 unnamed reticulate "yoyo" loaches
Furbabies: Kobi & Beau
M F S ˙ʇƨσן ǝƨσɥʇ σʇ ǝɔɐǝԀ ʋƖ ʇƨǝᴚ
"Can never have too many fish"
Abby is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:16 AM
Member
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lismore, NSW
Posts: 2,487
I will be breeding in a few months, my Yellow vt male to a yellow sdhmct female. (shes super delta X Half moon and appearing ct as well lol)

Female Bettas:Gaia,Bubbles,Tabitha, Rani, Kelsey, 4 unnamed Male Bettas:Oscar, Spyro, Cookie Monster, Kermit The Frog, Grover II, Alvin, Archillies, Moostash
Snails: Yoshi,Peach,Lugi,Mario
Others:Quismodo, Esmerelda, Lavern, Banch(<Guppies) 2 unnamed bristle noses, 2 unnamed reticulate "yoyo" loaches
Furbabies: Kobi & Beau
M F S ˙ʇƨσן ǝƨσɥʇ σʇ ǝɔɐǝԀ ʋƖ ʇƨǝᴚ
"Can never have too many fish"
Abby is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
kdunkerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 23
Quote:
so why not try to improve the Veil line, while i'm breeding something few do?
A perfect thing to do!

~To watch a fish,
is to watch an ever changing
work of art~
kdunkerl is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
kdunkerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 23
Quote:
I will be breeding in a few months, my Yellow vt male to a yellow sdhmct female. (shes super delta X Half moon and appearing ct as well lol)
All of the yellow bettas I've seen are beautiful. And the orange ones too, for that matter. All mine are only blue and red, with the exception of one female that is pearly peach kinda, it really is the abnormal colour in the pet store that makes me want to take the little guy/gal home but the great colours are soooo rare!

~To watch a fish,
is to watch an ever changing
work of art~
kdunkerl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome