Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lake Havasu, Arizona
Just be very careful if you get him. My sister has had terrible luck with giants. 3 out of the 4 we've bought total have died from bacterial infections and other causes. They're not genetically stable and get sick easily when stressed.
If you do get him, a 2.5 will probably be a little too small for him. Anything above would probably be better, but you'll have to keep up with the changes without mistakes. And you probably shouldn't house him next to or with any other fish since they're so prone to illness. Plenty of hiding spots too, enough that you could technically do a sorority instead that way he's got places to get away if he needs to.
Keep maracyn 2 on hand, in my opinion, since the three of my sister's that died all pineconed and that's usually related to an internal bacterial infection that maracyn 1 cannot handle.
Giants are a lot of work and stress if you don't get them from similar conditions that they'll be housed in.