What's ur betta story - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 72
Question What's ur betta story

How'd did u get introduced and fall in love with bettas?

My first betta was a really awesome red and dark blue male named April(don't ask) He died after 6 months of me having him. I was really sad and decided i never wanted another fish again. Didn't last, a few years later i got my second a light blue male named Elvis who died 3 weeks later from parasites. Now i have Amare a Cambodian(i think?) male who stolen my heart. What about u?
catlantic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Member
 
ZergyMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Urbandale, IA
Posts: 785
I got into bettas because I was searching the petco site for fish accessories because I had a 20% off coupon. After looking through the site I thought of getting a betta. Then I came here to this site. After gaining a plethora of knowledge, I got a betta and would love to start a sorority and possibly start breeding in the future. They are truly beautiful fish.
ZergyMonster is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 72
Totally agree and there even more beautiful in the tanks of people who know how and want to take care of them. U sound like u really love them. Pics?
catlantic is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Member
 
mattoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 632
Well, few years back, one night after a nice dinner and hockey game, went to Wal-Mart. Mom was really picky about pets, but me and the brother always went to the fish section. After about 20 minutes of begging, the parents gave in, and we were on our way home with 2 1gallon fish tanks, some conditioner, a few plants, and a red male and a blue male... both veils. A year and a half later they both died a week apart from eachother :(
mattoboy is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoboy View Post
Well, few years back, one night after a nice dinner and hockey game, went to Wal-Mart. Mom was really picky about pets, but me and the brother always went to the fish section. After about 20 minutes of begging, the parents gave in, and we were on our way home with 2 1gallon fish tanks, some conditioner, a few plants, and a red male and a blue male... both veils. A year and a half later they both died a week apart from eachother :(
Took me years to convince my parents
catlantic is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Member
 
Rosso1011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 563
My bf and I were talking about setting up an aquarium and we were in walmart checking out potential decor and aquariums and I saw these pretty little bettas there and I expressed how pretty I thought the bettas were. One day he calls me and says "this is going to spoil the surprise, but if I get you a betta, would you prefer red or blue" (those were the two colors I had been drawn to)? Needless to say, I came home from class, to find a betta floating in a little 1 gal aquarium, and I have since upgraded him to a 3.5 gal.
Rosso1011 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Member
 
BettaHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kamloops, B.C. Canada
Posts: 527
I first heard of bettas when i was 8 but thought they were a very expensive very rare fish to get here in canada lol how could i have known when i grew up on a farm where the closest neighbours were a 20 minute walk down the dirt road and nothing but trees in-between lol needless to say in 2004 i finally decided to go to the local pet store to browse, looked over the birds and rodents and reptiles and spiders lol finally coming to the huge wall of tanks. There were the gold fish, guppies, piranhas, gars, salt water fish, snails, shrimps, and then there they were ...... my blessing and my curse .... I talked to one of the workers, asked about them, the typical questions with the usual answers, then walked home in a daze. Following morning after taking my oldest to school i went back to the pet store looked over their tanks and seen the sign "Free betta with purchase of so and so tank kit" walked over to the bettas and looked at what there were, usual vt and not much else. Picked out two kits and went to the checkout, the worker asked if i wanted help picking out the bettas so we went back and picked out a pretty pinkish red vt and black faced blue vt. I knew from that day on I was cursed lol and havent looked back since.
BettaHeart is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaHeart View Post
I first heard of bettas when i was 8 but thought they were a very expensive very rare fish to get here in canada lol how could i have known when i grew up on a farm where the closest neighbours were a 20 minute walk down the dirt road and nothing but trees in-between lol needless to say in 2004 i finally decided to go to the local pet store to browse, looked over the birds and rodents and reptiles and spiders lol finally coming to the huge wall of tanks. There were the gold fish, guppies, piranhas, gars, salt water fish, snails, shrimps, and then there they were ...... my blessing and my curse .... I talked to one of the workers, asked about them, the typical questions with the usual answers, then walked home in a daze. Following morning after taking my oldest to school i went back to the pet store looked over their tanks and seen the sign "Free betta with purchase of so and so tank kit" walked over to the bettas and looked at what there were, usual vt and not much else. Picked out two kits and went to the checkout, the worker asked if i wanted help picking out the bettas so we went back and picked out a pretty pinkish red vt and black faced blue vt. I knew from that day on I was cursed lol and havent looked back since.
lol Bettas are like potato chips can't have just 1 and can't live without 1
catlantic is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
My bf and I were talking about setting up an aquarium and we were in walmart checking out potential decor and aquariums and I saw these pretty little bettas there and I expressed how pretty I thought the bettas were. One day he calls me and says "this is going to spoil the surprise, but if I get you a betta, would you prefer red or blue" (those were the two colors I had been drawn to)? Needless to say, I came home from class, to find a betta floating in a little 1 gal aquarium, and I have since upgraded him to a 3.5 gal.
Your aquarium and fish sound nice. Pics, name?
catlantic is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Member
 
BetterBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southwest Florida is where its at(:
Posts: 427
Well my family has always been a fish-family. One day with my friend Kendall, we decided to eat at Panera Bread. Nextdoor, Petco was calling our names so we went in. I thought about it and wanted to get a betta fish! My mom said yes, so we both got one. I picked out a girl with a beautiful blue hue and red splash on her anal and tail fins. Unfortunately at first I was poorly educated, and had Lulu (female veiltale) in a half gallon case.
Thankfully, I stumbled upon this site the following day and begged my mom to take me to Walmart for a REAL tank. I had Lulu in a 1.5 which was pretty good because she's small. However, I've now placed her in a 10 gal community, and I have Charlie (Red salamander HM) in a 2.5 gallon :D

One 70.G Cichlid Tank-2 Parrotfish, 1 Red Bay Snook, 1 Jack Dempsy, 2 Mayan Cichlids, and 1 Spotted Catfish
1.5 Gallon tank with male butterfly halfmoon-Charlie and 1 mystery snail
10 Gallon tank with female veiltale- Lulu and 2 Mystery Snails
3.5 Nano Saltwater Tank with yellow goby-Buttercup, 3 red leg cortez crabs, 2 nassarius snails, 3 hidden cup corals
One misfit jack russel-rat terrier mix-Ginger

BetterBetta is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Betta Story... gidgeystartedit Betta Art 0 11-21-2011 07:17 PM
a betta story by me bettaluvies Betta Art 9 09-08-2011 12:47 AM
Betta Story BettaGirl290 Betta Art 7 07-17-2011 10:27 AM
NEW BETTA big story! Pomsizzle Betta Chat 3 10-20-2010 12:15 PM
New guy, my Betta story ! timboss Betta Chat 6 06-25-2010 08:58 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome