Ugh, Walmart rant, failed rescue. - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
TuiAndLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
First let me say that there's no shame in that; it would be great if more people had that attitude.

Next let me say that YES! there is terrific value in being good & honest. It can be challenging to live your life with morals but it is very much worth it in the long run.

Your compassion for that little fish is commendable and it's more than others would have (did!) do to put him in his own cup so he could have some peace; don't feel bad or beat yourself up over it.
Aww, thanks sparkyjoe. =)

It sucks that I couldn't take the poor fellow home, but I was cheered up today upon arriving at Petco (took my dog, just to have an outing). When I got there, an employee was cleaning all the betta cups, putting fresh water for them. ^_^ Petco always has bettas that look well taken care of.

I thought Petsmart did too but I went there today also and they didn't look so great. =/ One had fins bitten all off, holes in their fins, and one was still alive with a very obvious case of dropsy. =/ At least they don't seem to stock a whole lot (I think)....

Still, it's nice to actually see a place that cares for them pretty well (Petco). And as a plus, all the employees (and manager) are sooooooo nice. =3 I actually kind of know the manager there through someone else. But I met and chatted with everyone who works there (they came to me, and were interested in my dog lol). Just an awesome experience! I'm so done with Walfart.

♫ "...to the drums of the city rain." ♫

Last edited by TuiAndLa; 03-11-2012 at 03:23 PM.
TuiAndLa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Member
 
Amphibianite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 669
I have talked to Walmart managers before.
What I was told was that the company would not allow them to give away their fish even if they wanted. The manager really wanted to give me the betta for free. All she could legally offer by regulations was half off. She told me the company gets a kickback for every dead fish. So they rather let the fish die and get the kick back than to lose all profit. The corporation doesn't care at all.
So Half off is about all you are likely to get no matter who is working.

_____________________________________________
Bettas - TOTAL COUNT - 18
Thoth, The Red VT twins - Fred and George, Motoko. As well as Bloodmoon and SilverKnight, Zypher, Bobber, Quetzalcoatl, Tsuruko, Shinobu, Mistume, and Su. Introducing, The Duke. 4 unnamed.
RIP- All those loved and lost. Forever Missed.
I now add the name of Prince Poppycock to the list. forever loved and forever missed.

Amphibianite is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Member
 
copperarabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,949
I never understood this, if you where buying a product that was on the verge of breaking they would give your a pretty big discount but a fish on the verge of death isn't good enough?

Elrohir the plakat

Galah cockatoo & African Grey
copperarabian is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Aus
Member
 
Aus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia!
Posts: 2,128
Quote:
She told me the company gets a kickback for every dead fish. So they rather let the fish die and get the kick back than to lose all profit. The corporation doesn't care at all.
Seriously? That is beyond disgusting.

Somebody needs to organise a "Boycott Walmart Week" event as a protest on Facebook. Complete with a collection of people's pictures of all the dead/dying/diseased/injured fish from their local Walmart, plus its address. There's a long list of stores to boycott right there.

Let $ be the voice that counts, since that's all that matters to them.

PLANTED TANKS: AKA UNDERWATER JUNGLES
MY JOURNAL:
THE POET & THE FISH

Aus is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Member
 
sparkyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Ohio, USA
Posts: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
I have talked to Walmart managers before.
What I was told was that the company would not allow them to give away their fish even if they wanted. The manager really wanted to give me the betta for free. All she could legally offer by regulations was half off. She told me the company gets a kickback for every dead fish. So they rather let the fish die and get the kick back than to lose all profit. The corporation doesn't care at all.
So Half off is about all you are likely to get no matter who is working.
It doesn't surprise me at all to have ANOTHER reason to despise Wally World.
sparkyjoe is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Member
 
sparkyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Ohio, USA
Posts: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuiAndLa View Post
Aww, thanks sparkyjoe. =)

It sucks that I couldn't take the poor fellow home, but I was cheered up today upon arriving at Petco (took my dog, just to have an outing). When I got there, an employee was cleaning all the betta cups, putting fresh water for them. ^_^ Petco always has bettas that look well taken care of.

I thought Petsmart did too but I went there today also and they didn't look so great. =/ One had fins bitten all off, holes in their fins, and one was still alive with a very obvious case of dropsy. =/ At least they don't seem to stock a whole lot (I think)....

Still, it's nice to actually see a place that cares for them pretty well (Petco). And as a plus, all the employees (and manager) are sooooooo nice. =3 I actually kind of know the manager there through someone else. But I met and chatted with everyone who works there (they came to me, and were interested in my dog lol). Just an awesome experience! I'm so done with Walfart.
That's cool! I like a couple of the Petco's around here too, several of them actually seem to care about the Bettas that they have.
sparkyjoe is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 PM
New Member
 
ParadisMutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 25
Our Walmarts where I live don't sell any live animals, they used to sell fish but it has stopped because of poor conditions and nobody buying from them. Both the pet sections, in both walmarts are very small with nothing living to be sold. I am happy about that.

My Boys
1 Black Lab/Shepherd/Doberman Mutt - CODY
1 Black Domestic Shorthair Cat - Yoru "Ru"
1 Mexican Black Kingsnake - Lucifer
1 Male Black/Red Halfmoon - Emo
1 Male Blue/Red Halfmoon -Glambert
ParadisMutts is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Member
 
LionCalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 460
I've gotten sick/dying Wal-Mart Bettas for free from managers on more than one occasion, so it does happen. It depends entirely on the store and manager though. Kudos to you for not supporting them with your money, I know how hard it can be to walk away.

Erika | Betta Fish Enthusiast & Advocate

[ My Betta Boys ]

Lucky ~ Rescued DT
LionCalie is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,607
That poor little guy. :( I am so torn about whether to rescue bettas or not - it's true, I don't want to "vote with my dollar", but is it fair to let bettas die for my principles when I know I could save them? Especially when girl bettas are dying, because I know they don't get them in often and me buying them is a total rarity...
When I do buy rescues, I make my opinions on the conditions known, and make a point of getting my friends to boycott the shops for other, more expensive things.

LionCalie, I love your signature.

Life.
Bombalurina is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
TuiAndLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 249
Ugh, that's sickening! Getting kickbacks for dead fish. Man, can things be anymore backwards? -_- I didn't even think it was really... legal? to sell a sick/dying animal in stores. Apparently it's perfectly fine. -rollseyes-

Well, I can't save the fishies, but I am helping animals in another way. I've been fostering dogs for my local high kill shelter (awesome shelter, constantly trying to better it and do everything they can) for the last few years. I've been taking a break from it though lately and I've still got two fosters currently. lol

Now I'm quite good at seeing other people's POV and understanding the other side, even if I disagree with it, but.... It just baffles me... I mean I really sit there and wonder sometimes- HOW in the world can some people just be so cruel, negligent.... how people just don't care to do the right thing... I just don't understand it. smh

♫ "...to the drums of the city rain." ♫
TuiAndLa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
so here's to another walmart rant... chrissylee13 Betta Chat 10 03-03-2012 05:19 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome