Friends are slowly killing their fish ... (mini-rant/need advice) - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
MadameDesu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 497
:O

That would be great! I don't think people are trying to hurt their fish, I just think that most of them don't know how to take care of them. Or (even worse) think that they do and won't listen to other advice :S

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

"For when Thou art our strength, it is strength indeed, but when our strength is our own it is only weakness." - St. Augustine (Confessions 4.XVI)

Feminist, Neo-Darwinist, Libertarian, Animal-Loving Christian
MadameDesu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:35 AM
New Member
 
Sandrilene's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 66
Some of my friends look at me like i`m nuts when they see my betta in its 5g tank but then they go on to say things like they can live in small bowls and how much work it is these people gave up on fish though so I don`t mention how much easier the larger set ups are. All you need to do is look at craigslist to see its not just fish people don`t care enough about tons of puppies dogs and cats up there that people are wanting to get rid of. all pets should be treated better by humans in general.
Sandrilene is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 97
Madame- Educating others is the best ammunition, so if you can get Bombalurina's pamplets and spread the knowledge in any other way that would be great. Taking in the unwanted fish would be awesome! But of course, you will be limited as to how many you can take.

For your friend with the goldfish in particular, is there any chance you could make an excuse to keep the fish for a week for her? Spring break is coming up, right? Any chance you can keep her fish? After a week of your care, you may be able to prove the difference of good care to her... Just think, if you return her fish happy and swimming and in a clean environment, it may convince her she's wrong.

Good luck!
cp6445 is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 4,900
Sadly I doubt a week of good care in that small tank would make a difference to a damaged Goldie. :/

taking a break from fish-keeping.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.
Olympia is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
MadameDesu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp6445 View Post
Madame- Educating others is the best ammunition, so if you can get Bombalurina's pamplets and spread the knowledge in any other way that would be great. Taking in the unwanted fish would be awesome! But of course, you will be limited as to how many you can take.

For your friend with the goldfish in particular, is there any chance you could make an excuse to keep the fish for a week for her? Spring break is coming up, right? Any chance you can keep her fish? After a week of your care, you may be able to prove the difference of good care to her... Just think, if you return her fish happy and swimming and in a clean environment, it may convince her she's wrong.

Good luck!
I'm afraid my chance has passed. She was away this weekend and had her roommate take care of the fish. Her roommate fed her a little less than usual, which is good. Still, it probably would have been better to have fasted him, fed him a pea, and changed his water ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Sadly I doubt a week of good care in that small tank would make a difference to a damaged Goldie. :/
It's not even a tank ... it's one of those big 1 gal vases. It looks like a big wine glass actually. I'd have to be doing water changes every day as I hear goldies have a pretty substantial bio-load.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

"For when Thou art our strength, it is strength indeed, but when our strength is our own it is only weakness." - St. Augustine (Confessions 4.XVI)

Feminist, Neo-Darwinist, Libertarian, Animal-Loving Christian
MadameDesu is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Member
 
Sivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Plattsburgh, NY
Posts: 843
You can try to organize a floor event with your RA or RD to educate people on the proper care of aquatic animals. I know when I lived on campus that free food would attract people in and then they'd be trapped into staying. I would also ask about being able to post informational flyers on your community bulletin board with information and maybe helpful websites for those who own fish.

A huge misconception is that these animals are not intelligent or aware of pain, making them less than a typical large pet such as a guinea pig or cat. Education can go a long way.
Sivan is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
MadameDesu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
You can try to organize a floor event with your RA or RD to educate people on the proper care of aquatic animals. I know when I lived on campus that free food would attract people in and then they'd be trapped into staying. I would also ask about being able to post informational flyers on your community bulletin board with information and maybe helpful websites for those who own fish.

A huge misconception is that these animals are not intelligent or aware of pain, making them less than a typical large pet such as a guinea pig or cat. Education can go a long way.
I'm actually thinking about approaching the Dean of Students to talk about this. I know that if it's just me, it'll be hard to get info out. It may be a little difficult though, because I'm not sure if the official policy allows any pets, or whether it just allows fish.
It'd be great if they presented this info to first year students!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

"For when Thou art our strength, it is strength indeed, but when our strength is our own it is only weakness." - St. Augustine (Confessions 4.XVI)

Feminist, Neo-Darwinist, Libertarian, Animal-Loving Christian
MadameDesu is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grrr! Mini-Betta Cups in Stores - a rant Here Fishy Fishy Fishy Betta Chat 1 02-13-2011 11:30 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome