Thaitybettas... AVOID HIM - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 10,951
This fella has a bit of an ego....lol....I stumbled across him last week and all I could do was laugh at some of the stuff he stated...some info was correct...but he lost all my respect with his ego..."MY way is the only way"

Be careful going to his site....I got a virus alert the second I went on his site......

Don't worry MrV...we got his number-he has nothing on you......and you would think a person that claims to have a degree in biology would have a bit more knowledge on the science behind water, water quality, breeding and genetics ...etc....and could at least spell...plus being a father-would use proper language both written and oral........good heavens......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 03-26-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post
I never knew inbreeding was a normal part of betta breeding. Anyone care to elaborate as to why? Interesting.
It helps isolate genes, I think, like if you want to have a larger amount of opaque whites in your spawn or something.

Does this guy sell betta on aquabid or does he sell them to like, wal mart? o.o

taking a break from fish-keeping.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.
Olympia is offline  
post #13 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Um..... yeah, quite a few of those were missed. I'll be cleaning it up.

I was tempted to just remove the thread but Mr. V has a good point in that this guy is a total nutjob and should probably be avoided.
Yeah sorry! I tried to get all the ones I could but with so much to read that made no sense it was difficult!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post
I never knew inbreeding was a normal part of betta breeding. Anyone care to elaborate as to why? Interesting.
It helps strengthen the traits you want to breed. If a male has nice fins you would breed to a sister and then a daughter back to him. This can be done up to six generations without ill effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
This fella has a bit of an ego....lol....I stumbled across him last week and all I could do was laugh at some of the stuff he stated...some info was correct...but he lost all my respect with his ego..."MY way is the only way"

Be careful going to his site....I got a virus alert the second I went on his site......

Don't worry MrV...we got his number-he has nothing on you......and you would think a person that claims to have a degree in biology would have a bit more knowledge on the science behind water, water quality, breeding...etc....and could at least spell...plus being a father-would use proper language both written and oral........good heavens......
I thought his methods were interesting but his ego... I have no words for it! The IBC thought the same thing!

Who am I? Well I am a Junior Member of the International Betta Congress and a breeder of white HMPKs, red dragon HMPKs, black/red dragon HMPKs, metallic multi HMPKs, blue masked HMPKs, and now multi color HMs. Soon to add black HMs. I will be showing in New Breeder class in fall of 2012.
MrVampire181 is offline  
post #14 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Member
 
Wolfie305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wareham, MA
Posts: 414
Wow that's crazy neat. At least it doesn't have any health effects.

{ Currently Cycling }


Kelsey | [Fish Blog]

www.thewiredlife.net
Wolfie305 is offline  
post #15 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:10 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 3,308
[quote=MrVampire181;1025499]Yeah sorry! I tried to get all the ones I could but with so much to read that made no sense it was difficult!

No worries

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
post #16 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Reference Team
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 8,084
I think you need to outcross at the 7th generations to introduce some new blood and avoid getting too inbred. Even with culling that's going to be a lot of potentially bad recessive genes floating around.


LittleBettaFish is online now  
post #17 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Member
 
styggian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 490
Somebody's ego got dented. Bad MrV.
styggian is offline  
post #18 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 4,900
Without inbreeding there'd be like, no breeds of anything.
We learned in bio that a lot of royal families had genetic disorders from marrying their cousins.. You can inbreed a lot less in mammals.
Even without inbreeding betta, aren't there usually a lot of fry to cull?

taking a break from fish-keeping.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.
Olympia is offline  
post #19 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Member
 
sparkyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Ohio, USA
Posts: 631
"In-breeding", or line-breeding, has been done for hundreds (thousands?) of years in animal husbandry to achieve desired traits. Name a domestic animal species, and even some zoo breeding programs for endangered animals, and you are sure to find these types of practices. That's not saying it doesn't have its risks but, as MrV said, when done carefully, with a well thought plan, it has great rewards.

I'm not a breeder, but I've been interested in animal breeding practices since before I started looking for my first dog over 11 years ago. My breed is the Standard Poodle, and this is a hot topic among Poodle breeders as well so I've heard all of the arguments many times over.
sparkyjoe is offline  
post #20 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Member
 
styggian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
"In-breeding", or line-breeding, has been done for hundreds (thousands?) of years in animal husbandry to achieve desired traits. Name a domestic animal species, and even some zoo breeding programs for endangered animals, and you are sure to find these types of practices. That's not saying it doesn't have its risks but, as MrV said, when done carefully, with a well thought plan, it has great rewards.

I'm not a breeder, but I've been interested in animal breeding practices since before I started looking for my first dog over 11 years ago. My breed is the Standard Poodle, and this is a hot topic among Poodle breeders as well so I've heard all of the arguments many times over.
Absolutely +1

Inbreeding in mammals can be quite detrimental if not done carefully. In other animals, it's not nearly as bad.
styggian is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome