Betta Fish Forum banner

Need help finding a friend for Gus :)

19K views 207 replies 19 participants last post by  DragonFyre14 
#1 ·
The Story: I will be moving in a year to a larger place and the place I will be going to has enough space for a nice 10-15gal fish tank. While pricing the supplies I would need at my local Walmart, I found Gus. He was a pitiful little Metallic Veiltail Betta in a little cup of water that was more urine than water (pic can be seen in my album). He was pale, dull colored, ammonia burned, and had a bad case of fin rot, but he ran up to the edge of the cup and bumped up against it every time I came close or talked. He didn't do it to a single other person that passed by, just me. How could I resist? He had to come home with me. I couldn't afford a large tank, the extra accessories, the upkeep price for a large tank, or even have a place to put the heavy thing if I got it, so I got a 1.5 gal tank. He has recovered beautifully since the month I had him and is a happy and healthy baby Betta. However, I don't want him to spend the next year all alone, so I was hoping to get him a tankmate. :-D

The Facts: The tank is 1.5 gal with a plastic plant (his bed), a small rock, and 2/3 inch of gravel making water volume closer to 1 gal. Everything (including gravel) was soaked in a weak vinegar solution and thoroughly rinsed before being placed, so there are no dyes or foreign chemicals floating around. It has a Tetra filter made for 3 gal and the tank is still being broke in. The tank gets a partial water change every week and has a hood with light. I am still shopping for a heater for it, but having trouble finding one for a tank that small! (would love suggestions for that too if yall don't mind). Gus is about 6 months and has recovered from his experience save for a small scar on his head and a tad of freying on the edge of his fins where he is still recovering from ammonia indued fin rot. He is active, colorful, and has a light and feeding schedule. He is fed Tetra BettaMin and is not overfed. His mouth is very small (unable to even gulp down a small fly that landed in his bowl, which he then just chased around :lol:) and he doesn't "puff up" at anything, even my dog! He prefers to "play" with my minpin through the glass, so I feel he has a good temperament for a Betta. :cool:

The Question: Considering the size of the environment, the level of care given to the environment, the filter, and the tankmate, what would be a good fish or invertebrate to place in the tank with him? I feel it would provide enrichment to his little life and would like some options to research. I am leaning towards some type of Cory Cat (would help suggestions on which one) or a pair of small Loaches like Kulli (I would have to get a pair of Loaches as one Loach would die without another Loach). Any suggestions are welcome and the more information, the better. With a tank as small as mine, something that can take temperature fluctuation and breath air is preferred, but not an absolutely required field. :dunno:

Additional Information: The original tank setup I had planned for the large tank was a female Betta, 2 Cory Cats, and 3+ Loaches. My best friend is a fish expert who has an aquarium for years and currently cares for two 30gal tanks and one 10gal bully tank (she keeps fish in it that were showing signs of aggression or "bully" behavior in her main tanks), so I have someone to help me during a tank emergency or just to answer everyday questions. I included so much information because when I googled it and found posts by people who have asked a similar question in other fourms, they were chastised for having a Betta in a tank that was less than 5gal. I hope I made it clear with all the crazy details that my Betta is well cared for, healthy, and loved and that I can handle an overburdened tank so that I can get some good and informed suggestions.
:thankyou:

See less See more
#58 ·
You missunderstood. It would be every 2 weeks. 1 Sunday he would get a pea. The next Sunday a bloodworm. The next, a pea. The next, a bloodworm. And so on...

#56 ·
I hate the text per post limit. :roll:

More questions for yall! The tank is 1.8gal so minus decor and gravel I would estimate 1.4gal water. It has a filter which I rince once a week with water from a ptw. I have been doing pwc 3x a week of 3/4th a litter and replacing with treated tap (non-clorinated well water that is filtered through sand) that has been allowed to sit at least 24 hours (I usually make up the next bottle after I'm done with a water change). The water is clear (not foggy and nothing floating in water column) and Gus looks happy and healthy (good color, undamaged flowing fins, healthy gils, good activity level, swims away from fresh water and not towards it). Is that an acceptable amount of pwc? Also, it doesn't stress him as he enjoys the attention. ;-)

Also, while doing my 1st gravel cleaning (thank God for turkey baster! ;-)) I noticed a slight slimey film in the tank. Is that good or bad? I wont be getting my water testing kit for a week min and I would love to know what it means :)

#60 ·
It is heated. And I'm not the type to over feed and let the leftovers dirty the water like so many do, so no problems in that aspect. I'm WAY to percise a person to let that happen ;-)

Right now between pwc and gravel cleaning (thinking of making that a common thing too as he is FACINATED by the turkey baster! :lol::) I am taking out and replacing 2.5-3 litters a week (I have a big litter bottle I mix new water in each time). I will have to look up how much of a tank percentage that is...

#62 ·
Looks like my tank has a water volume of about 5.2 litters so I need to lower my water changes to about 2.5 total litters a week.

I am uptown, so I was going to edit my OP, but it wont let me. In fact, I don't have the ability to edit any post as far as I can tell. Could someone tell me how?

So here are the changes I would have made to the OP.

The Story:... (yall can go back and read it)

The Facts: The tank has a volume of 1.8 gal at the water level and about a 1.4 gal water volume.

It has a...
1. Plastic Plant
2. Small rock
3. 2/3 inch of aquarium gravel which was coated with something to make it colorful and non-sharp pre-purchase (unsure if it is regular size or not. It could be smaller)
4. Tetra filter made for 3 gal
5. Hood with LED light (also near south-facing window, so lots of indirect light)
6. Tetra 2-15 gal heater (keeps it a constant 76 degrees)
7. Thermometer

Partial water changes will now be done 3 times a week (2x removal of water and 1x gravel cleaning using turkey baster)

Diet is Tetra BettaMin Tropical Medley once daily. Possible future variance will be done on Sundays.

Original OP Question: Considering the size of the environment, the level of care given to the environment, the filter, and the tankmate, what would be a good fish or invertebrate to place in the tank with him?
Answer: None at this time. :cry:
>If the tank is increased to 5 gal, I may add a snail or a few shrimp. :-D
>At 10-15, I may add some of the fish I desired. Suggestions were Cory Cats (schooling so several required), kuhli loaches (controversial as some sites and posters say minimum tank should be 20 while others say it would be fine), dwarf cory catfish (4-6), mollies (controversial as they can be bullies and need aquarium salt which can harm Betta), livebearers, or African Dwarf Frog (controversial as can attack Betas or visa versa). :shock:

Question 2: What would be a good heater for my tank?
Suggestions: Hydor Theo 25 watt with adjustable temp control, 7.5w heater, and a few other wattages.
Conclusion: Cold front caused an acute temp drop in Gus' tank. None of the heaters suggested were available at the local store, so a Tetra 2-15gal heater was purchased. The tank has stayed a constant 76 degrees since the heater was introduced. :cool:

Question 3: Real plants or fake and if real, which ones?
Suggestions: Real are much better than fake because plastic can harm fins. Real also keeps water quality higher and keeps algae down. Fertilizers are good, but not required especially for beginner plants. Watch for discolored leaves. Possible plants are Java fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Hornwort, water sprite, or Marimo Moss Ball (must be turned a few times a week)
Conclusion: Moss ball is most appealing at this time because of tank size as well as the locomotion the ball possesses which can provide enrichment for fish. It is also soft and can be used as a Beta bed. Other plants may be purchased when I am able to upgrade the size of my tank as all suggestions would make good additions. I am still trying to decide on a secondary choice just in case they are out of Moss Balls. :thumbsup:
>Java Moss looks to be an insanely fast grower which worries me. More info needed. :shock:
>Java Ferns are interesting and beautiful, but why wont fish graze on it? And i wonder if the light my tank gets would hurt it...
>Anubias would be GREAT for the larger tank! :-D
>Hornwort is a great plant... but I would rather have different leaves. Possible secondary plant in larger aquarium.
>Water Sprites are beautiful and I would love to have one in my tank now, but it is a crazy fast grower. I must do research on how I would keep it under control. Suggestions? :dunno:

Question 4: Is it okay for fish to sleep on the heater? :-?
Answer: Yes. Betas like lounging on things. Consider a Beta hammock for a future purchase. ;-)

Question 5: What are good treats and foods?
Answer: Betas are insectivores, so look for foods based on that. Beta flakes and pellets which contain meat/insects are good. Live food, Bloodworms, pea (controversial because they are insectivores and have short digestive tracts. Hybrid conclusion? 2 a month would not cause harm), flightless fruit flies, mosquito larvae, or Brine shrimp.
Conclusion: Will shop for freeze dried insects or attempt to catch larva after more research is done. Insects will be fed once a week in place of flakes and about half a pea will be given 1-2 times a month as a deterrent to digestive issues. :cool:

Question 6: Is my tank size bad? :oops:
Answer: Not ideal, but as long as water changes are kept up and the fish is healthy and active, it will work. 5gal is best. 2.5gal is a healthy minimum size with room for enrichment. Anything below 1 gallon is unethical and cruel to the fish. :sick:

Question 7: How much water should be changed out weekly?
Answer: 50% tank volume. Water volume is about 1.4gal = 5.2 litters which means about 2.5 litters a week total. :cool:

#63 ·
Plastic plants can hurt fins. Flakes usually are a bad idea if they are not flakes I am sorry. For a small tank like that you need two fifty percents weekly. Java moss is not insanly fast grower. A 10 is too small for mollies only pygmy cories can live in a 10 gallon. In would reccomend 80F. Many livebearers are too colorful or long finned for bettas.

#64 ·
Thanks Cho. I just wanted to do a post that had every bit of information that had been given to me so far. I noted where there was a conflict in what people said.

The bully-ish nature of Mollies made them a no for me and the salt requirements threw them out the window.

The heater has no thermostat, so 76-78 is what it will be. At least it is rated for 2-15 gal so when I upgrade, I can still use it.

They are flakes, but he enjoys them and eats them just fine as of now. I know it makes determining the exact feeding a little tricky, but having meat/insects as a 1st ingredient was more important than a minor inconvenience.

The livebearers were suggested, so I put them down. They aren't on my list as of now as I need to do more research on them. Besides, little Gus is more like a puppy than a Betta! The only time he gets mad is when my dad comes up to his tank! :lol:

Don't believe me? Look at him looking at himself. He was more curious than macho! That's my boy :cool:
http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php?albumid=4736&pictureid=30004
Sorry for quality. It was just a phone pic :oops:

#66 · (Edited)
LOL. Everything in fishkeeping is controversial.

Here are some good food pellets:
-Omega One (sold in Petsmart/Petco)
-New Life Spectrum (sold in Petco)

In betta food you want to make sure that on the label there is more than 40% crude protien and the first 3 ingredients are some sort of meat. Many tropical flakes don't have this. :(

Bettas won't dine on the java fern since they are insectivores. Not to interested in plants.

#68 ·
hummm. We do have a pet smart! 40 miles away, but still. I will write it on my list. Not too pricey either. The tetra was better than the alternative. BELIEVE ME! The others didn't have the good stuff til ingredient 3 or 4! :shock:

#70 ·
As far as water changes go, I think you were doing a good job. You can't really do too many water changes.

Pellets are usually best. However, I think it is more important that he is
1. Eating
2. eating something with lots of protein
My betta doesn't really like pellets too much yet... still working on that...

Varying the diet on Sundays is a good idea. They always love blood worms (and blood worms are available pretty much anywhere.) and truthfully, it is my favorite mostly because it is easy to feed and they love them.

As far as companions go, I'd wait until you get a 10 or 15 gallon and go with a school of cory cats.

With your tank, the marimo moss ball may be the best idea if you are worried about the other plants taking over the tank (plus it is very easy to care for) If they are out of those, I would go with Java fern. Its a really pretty plant and doesn't need that much light.

#79 ·
As far as water changes go, I think you were doing a good job. You can't really do too many water changes.

Pellets are usually best. However, I think it is more important that he is
1. Eating
2. eating something with lots of protein
My betta doesn't really like pellets too much yet... still working on that...

Varying the diet on Sundays is a good idea. They always love blood worms (and blood worms are available pretty much anywhere.) and truthfully, it is my favorite mostly because it is easy to feed and they love them.

As far as companions go, I'd wait until you get a 10 or 15 gallon and go with a school of cory cats.

With your tank, the marimo moss ball may be the best idea if you are worried about the other plants taking over the tank (plus it is very easy to care for) If they are out of those, I would go with Java fern. Its a really pretty plant and doesn't need that much light.
+1 on varying the diet. Mondays are bloodworm day for all the fishies in my house. :lol:

#72 · (Edited)
*awaites massive backlash and negative comments*

Well, after posting that long post yesterday, I got to go to PetSmart. I got my water tested. Turns out my tap water needed some extra help before hitting the tank! Fresh tap was below the minimum mevel on pH (about 6), Hardness, and Alkalinity! The pH levels after sitting 24 hours and in tank were a bit better, but still too low. The woman at the store (15 year aquarium enthusist) told me to dump my tank save for a jar's worth to keep Gus in and do a water change. Then, add a few pieces of aquarium or rock salt and let them disolve to help increase the things that were too low. She also said to add a piece or 2 to my litter bottle when making up fresh water. Got an API pH and Amonia test kits (btw, Amonia was over limit a bit, but not TOO bad). It took 24 hours for the salt to impact the pH, but it worked like a charm raising it slowely to a nice 7.

Now here comes the part yall are gonna be mad about! (next post...)

#73 ·
(...)
I snagged a nice green Marimo Ball and headed over the the fish wall to daydream of the fish I would one day get when I saw a man standing by one of the tanks with his dog. He was looking for Ghost Shrimp (which are very had to see!) to FEED TO HIS FISH! Now I know that like 99% of these little guys are used as live food, but after the guy left and I spotted one... well... I tracked down the worker and bought um! Her last 2 in fact *waits on massive screams of dissaproval* Since I had to put Gus in a jar anyway, I stuck the shrimp and Marimo ball in the tank for a 24 hour quarintene. I placed the quart jar in the tank so that Gus could stay in the right temp and introduced a bit of his new water now and then so he could adjust. After a good feeding (didn't want him to meet them on an empty belly), I let Gus out and darn it if he didn't surprise me! After playing and checking out the new stuff and new locations of old stuff, he spotted a shrimp. (darn text limit! Next post...)

#74 ·
(...)
Now Gus is quite small, but one of the 2 shrimp is just small enough to fit in his mouth. I almost expected him to try to gulp it down as soon as he saw it! But what does he do? He tries to get it to play with him! He nudged the little guys with his nose. He would chase them a bit and then turn around almost expecting them to chase him! He got so disapointed when they wouldn't swim up and would go back and "bump" them and run off again. When they are eating or sitting still, he leaves them alone. He is such a little mess! That's my boy! :lol:

#75 ·
The shrimp should be okay for now... It just means there is less room for Gus to move around, and a fair amount more ammonia is being produced in the tank. So you need to up the water changes until you are able to move them. I would suggest adding at least one more 25% water change.

#76 ·
Thanks Dragon and yes, I upped the water changes a A LOT! Don't want my babies getting sick! :shock:

I am trying to ween Gus off flakes and onto pellets as they are far less messy, but he is resistant to it. He likes those messy flakes! :evil:

The shrimp are doing well. The larger of the two (3/4 inch) plays tag with Gus! They have a blast and then relax right next to each other. No signs of aggression from either. I named him Toast because he was so bold, I figured Gus was going to eat him! :lol:

The smaller one (1/2 inch) hides most of the time and is content hanging out beside the Marimo Ball. Gus and Toast try to get him to play, but so far he is being shy, so they leave him alone. I ended up naming him Boo. :blueshake:

Cho, I know you love your babies but OH MY GOD! $150!!! I am planning on spending half that! Do you live in a big city? :shock:

Gus has already caused me to push my plans back a bit (worth it, but still). Spending THAT much would definitely deal me a heavy blow! How much do you spend on all of your fish each year? I want to know what to expect to pay when I get a larger aquarium. :-?

Gus and the Marimo Ball. Can you spot Toast? ;-)

#122 ·
How much do you spend on all of your fish each year?
I've probably spent about $300 on aquarium stuff in the last few months not counting the aquariums themselves (I had a small one then upgraded) but most of that is startup costs for stuff that I won't need to replace constantly - fish, large bottles of chemicals that get used slowly, filter units, heaters, nets, gravel vacuums, etc. Also, you should understand that I'm a middle aged professional with no spouse or children, so I have the money to spend if I want to try something (like a heater), decide I don't like it, and just buy another one. So, I know I could have done it more cheaply if I'd wanted to.

Now that I've got things pretty well set up and I have basically what I need in terms of chemicals etc, I'm expecting the maintenance costs to be around $5/month, that consisting of food and occasional replacement chemicals. (Understand, I have four bettas and also I have a larger tank with 8 fish and a shrimp in it. If it was just the bettas I'd be thinking more like $1 to $2/month.) I'm not counting the electricity to run the tanks, I am not interested in calculating the cost of that. I'm also not counting changing decorations when I feel like it.

#77 ·
I think, as an estimate of how much I've spent on bettas overall (I had two before my Raphael.) I've spent about: $107-112
here is a breakdown of the costs (for me)
Tank, 2.5 gallon(includes hood, food, and water conditioner): $30.00
Fake plants: $5-10
Gravel: $5
API Stress coat: $5
Food: $14
The actual betta (Raphael):$5
Thermometer: $2
Heater: $15
Aquarium salt: $5
Water Conditioner: $5
5-in-1 testing strips: $16
(keep in mind this is over about 2 and a half years.) Also, It didn't all come from my wallet :p a lot of this was a birthday present

#78 ·
I spend most of that on adding more plants the amount in there never satisfies me. I just set it up this summer after I lost my appendix. I bought the tank for 50.00$. I dont have a water testing kit around here I just do a good amount of water changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.