Making fun of a girl who commited suicide - Page 5 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Hit the nail on the head, crowntail.
The real question is, that guy and his gf that beat her up... Uhh why is the girl not mad at him? He made a conscious choice about it too.
Also her main "bully" was a 32 year old man.
For one, if the man actually sent those pictures to everyone she knew and the police were notified, why isn't he being charged with possession of child pornography? And yes, the girl should have definately taken her anger up with her "boyfriend." It's not like she was a siren on a beach laying naked blindingly calling him to her with her love song. I hope all the people involved in this feel remorse for their actions, and permenantly change their behavior towards others.
crowntaillove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Member
 
TheCrabbyTabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 469
Why do girls feel the need to dress more and more provocatively these days anyways? Its sickening and unacceptable to see a 7 or 8 year old girl with a pair of gogo shorts with the word "Juicy" emblazened on the behind.

My question is not to the girls, but to their parents for allowing this manor of dress to go on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.”
Mahatma Gandhi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TheCrabbyTabby is offline  
post #43 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 AM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 4,900
Olympia is offline  
post #44 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Member
 
TheCrabbyTabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 469
*sigh*

I just don't like the whole situation. I frankly don't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.”
Mahatma Gandhi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TheCrabbyTabby is offline  
post #45 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Member
 
deso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Why do girls feel the need to dress more and more provocatively these days anyways? Its sickening and unacceptable to see a 7 or 8 year old girl with a pair of gogo shorts with the word "Juicy" emblazened on the behind.

My question is not to the girls, but to their parents for allowing this manor of dress to go on.
This! So true, CrabbyTabby.

Amanda Todd is a terribly sad case, but we shan't forget that she could have closed her Facebook, Twitter, YouTube account and whatnot. Instead, she chose to stay online. Bad judgement on her part and on Todd's parents who should have been keeping a better eye on their child's activities online. I was bullied at that age as well and had it real rough as a teenager, so it's not as if I don't know what it feels like.

deso is offline  
post #46 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Member
 
logisticsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,769
I am a 50 yr old guy who was really bullied alot as a kid, I was small and had buck teeth at the time and it was relentless with no attention to the problem back in those days. Do you get over it..yes but it always leaves a scar on your soul and can ruin what should be a good time in your life. I feel terribly about what happened to Amanda Todd. Some kids are really mean. My kids turned out great and always helped the bullied kids out in school. Im glad to see that bullying has had more sunshine put on it and the subject is being discussed openly.

Proud IBC member
logisticsguy is offline  
post #47 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 AM
Member
 
Rosso1011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 563
I have mixed feelings on this topic. Yes, her suicide was tragic but she made some very bad choices that lead to bullying/cyber-bullying. Deso, I concur with you 210%. She could have closed those social media accounts and maybe create a new one with higher privacy settings if she desired to pursue a new online social life (it can be done, it's a pain in the rear but it's possible).

It's a shame that teens feel the need to do such promiscuous acts to get attention and it's also a shame that teens feel such a dependency on social websites such as Facebook for validation.

I think it's criminal that there were all these other options available to her to try to start a life anew and nobody had the good sense to think of these and try to implement them.

Please feel free to correct me if I've gotten some information wrong, I've only heard of the case and read a little about it. There's no way that I can take all aspects into consideration and jump to any sort of reasonable conclusion.

Last edited by Rosso1011; 10-19-2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Rosso1011 is offline  
post #48 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Member
 
logisticsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,769
In this case it was much much more than just online bullying. She had been moved to several different schools but as soon as others found out at her new school the bullying started again. At least back in my day if you were bullied it was always face to face and I never had to deal with online harassment as well.

Proud IBC member
logisticsguy is offline  
post #49 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Member
 
SnowySurface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Shore, NY
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
I have mixed feelings on this topic. Yes, her suicide was tragic but she made some very bad choices that lead to bullying/cyber-bullying. Deso, I concur with you 210%. She could have closed those social media accounts and maybe create a new one with higher privacy settings if she desired to pursue a new online social life (it can be done, it's a pain in the rear but it's possible).

It's a shame that teens feel the need to do such promiscuous acts to get attention and it's also a shame that teens feel such a dependency on social websites such as Facebook for validation.

I think it's criminal that there were all these other options available to her to try to start a life anew and nobody had the good sense to think of these and try to implement them.

Please feel free to correct me if I've gotten some information wrong, I've only heard of the case and read a little about it. There's no way that I can take all aspects into consideration and jump to any sort of reasonable conclusion.
I find some of these suggestions to be sad. If I'm getting bullied on Facebook I should just suck it up, cancel the account, or change my online ID? I see those suggestions as suffering in silence, solitary confinement, or joining the witness protection. I may be misunderstanding your suggestion, but cancelling Facebook cuts the person off from much more than her bullies. Maybe she plays Cafe World and doesn't want her food to burn. Maybe she has relatives in other countries she likes to keep in the loop. Why should anyone stop using a social website legally because others are using it illegally? I say kick the bullies off Facebook so their victims can use it in peace.

But that really isn't the point of the Todd case. She didn't flash to get attention from her peers and fail. She was lured into a trap by a 32 year old man who was known for being a child preditor (and is still not convicted as a child preditor to my knowledge) when she was 13 years old. Todd flashed the webcam for him, was blackmailed to keep the pictures secret if she did what he said, didn't do what the man wanted (which was basically more of the same), and had her picture was spread all over the internet for not bending to his will. I've been busy since I read up on the case a few days ago, so I hope he actually was charged for his crimes against Todd since I last read an article about the case.

I don't know if that corrects anything you're wrong about or if you are wrong about anything to begin with. But I don't think Todd flashed to get attention in the sense of becoming more popular among her peers. I think she flashed because she was testing the boundries of a more adult monogamous relationship and trying to get more attention from that one person. In short, she was trying to be a good girlfriend and got it wrong like most of us do throughout our lives.

What a lot of people are calling a mistake I see as normal sexual exploration that was exploted by a child preditor.

Betta Buddies: Jet <:))))<
(\ (\
( ^_^) This is Bunny. Copy and Paste Bunny into
(_(")(") your signature to help him gain world domination!
SnowySurface is offline  
post #50 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Member
 
deso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
I find some of these suggestions to be sad. If I'm getting bullied on Facebook I should just suck it up, cancel the account, or change my online ID? I see those suggestions as suffering in silence, solitary confinement, or joining the witness protection. I may be misunderstanding your suggestion, but cancelling Facebook cuts the person off from much more than her bullies. Maybe she plays Cafe World and doesn't want her food to burn. Maybe she has relatives in other countries she likes to keep in the loop. Why should anyone stop using a social website legally because others are using it illegally? I say kick the bullies off Facebook so their victims can use it in peace.
I'm not saying that it's just a mistake on Todd's part, it's also clearly a case of sexual harassment and exploitation of an underage child. But are you really saying that if your life and mental health were at risk, you would continue playing whatever "Café World" is? Or like Todd, would you go the extra nine miles and continue to post YouTube videos of yourself? There's such a thing as email and SMS. Disconnecting from Facebook is not the end of the world, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were feeling threatened by anyone. What is so wrong with witness protection programmes if they keep a person safe? With proxies and IP masking, it's very difficult to catch the bullies online; they just re-appear a few days later under different usernames. I didn't even have a Facebook until less than a year ago when a friend created an account for me, and I rarely check the thing. I find it quite useless, in all honesty. Being an expat, I have a lot of people (family included) from various countries to keep in touch with, and I manage to do so using just my mobile phone and Skype. It's not that difficult, really. Facebook, with how many people use it, is now like a large metropolitan city - policing is wholly ineffective, and people are only arrested after committing a grievous crime.

Rosso1011, the agreement is mutual. Kids these days disgust me in their dependency on social networking like Facebook and Twitter...what happened to a good ol' drink in a bar or lounge with local friends, or chatting to your buddies and family on the telephone?

Apologies if I come off a bit rude, Snowy, but I feel quite strongly on this particular subject :/

deso is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shrimp Suicide shinybetta Betta Chat 0 07-18-2010 03:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome