Guppy question - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ScuitoAmi150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 556
Guppy question

I wasn't sure where to post this. My teacher just gave me his mosquito fish and guppies to keep (or just for the summer if I end up not liking them too much).

He thought one of the female guppies was pregnant (there is a male and female guppy, + 4 mosquito fish) so he put her in a breeding tank for a week, nothing happened. This was about a month or two ago.

I just read that the gestation period from guppies is from 20-50 days, depending on the conditions. After just looking it up information about pregnant guppies I learned that they have this dark spot behind their rib cages called a Gravid Spot. I'm pretty sure that she has this spot.

Is there any other way to tell if she is pregnant? She is incredibly fat compared to the male.

Males:
Dragner - lavender/red cambodian SpT
Cromwell - dragon CT
Girls:
Duff - green CT
ScuitoAmi150 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Member
 
Betta Slave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 2,501
I used to have guppies. I found the pregnant females were just huge compared to the males, as you said. A day or two, or a few hours (depending in the female) before they give birth, I find they also will not eat- ignore the food, or eat it then spit it out. This is gonna sound a little gross, but you can also see the little black eyes of the fry in the female too.


In the hobby for 9 years.
Betta Slave is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 10,951
When her stomach starts to look square or more square than round, she is getting close to her drop time. Gestation can take 28-32 days and she can hold up to 6 months of sperm to have 6 more drops without contact with a male.
The gravida spot is on all female guppy and gambusia and will get darker when pregnant, a dark gravid spot does not mean she is pregnant, often you can see the fry little eyes through the gravida spot if you look really close.
A heavy planted tank will help in fry survival, often in the breeder boxes the female can get stressed and drop fry early and they will die or born dead due to being premature and the female can get to them and eat them.
Post some pic...would love to see your new guppy and gambusia....
Oldfishlady is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ScuitoAmi150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
When her stomach starts to look square or more square than round, she is getting close to her drop time. Gestation can take 28-32 days and she can hold up to 6 months of sperm to have 6 more drops without contact with a male.
The gravida spot is on all female guppy and gambusia and will get darker when pregnant, a dark gravid spot does not mean she is pregnant, often you can see the fry little eyes through the gravida spot if you look really close.
A heavy planted tank will help in fry survival, often in the breeder boxes the female can get stressed and drop fry early and they will die or born dead due to being premature and the female can get to them and eat them.
Post some pic...would love to see your new guppy and gambusia....
She does look pretty square but I don't see any fry eyes.
I'm trying to take pictures but they come out all glared because of the flash. And you can't see them without the flash. Haha. How do people take pictures of their fish? I can never get a good picture.

Males:
Dragner - lavender/red cambodian SpT
Cromwell - dragon CT
Girls:
Duff - green CT
ScuitoAmi150 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Member
 
Betta Slave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 2,501
I find it depends what kind of camera you have... I have a Nikon D80 and they work great, compared to my Fujifilm S1000. ...


In the hobby for 9 years.
Betta Slave is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ScuitoAmi150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
I find it depends what kind of camera you have... I have a Nikon D80 and they work great, compared to my Fujifilm S1000. ...
I have a Kodak AF (I think that is what it is. Has a 3x optical lens)

Males:
Dragner - lavender/red cambodian SpT
Cromwell - dragon CT
Girls:
Duff - green CT
ScuitoAmi150 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Member
 
Betta Slave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 2,501
I've never tried a Kodak... but for better close ups, a macro-setting definitely helps. I'm getting all of these infos from my dad lol. But he says you can probably make it work.


In the hobby for 9 years.
Betta Slave is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ScuitoAmi150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
I've never tried a Kodak... but for better close ups, a macro-setting definitely helps. I'm getting all of these infos from my dad lol. But he says you can probably make it work.
It kinda works if I take the picture from farther back on the flower setting. Haha.

I can't even get the camera anywhere near Vaslav (my King betta), he just completely freaks out and ends up in the corner looking like he just had a heart attack.
I'll get some good pictures of the female guppy tomorrow.

Males:
Dragner - lavender/red cambodian SpT
Cromwell - dragon CT
Girls:
Duff - green CT
ScuitoAmi150 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Member
 
Betta Slave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 2,501
Hah, really? My bettas pose for me... like, "Ooh, mom-fish-keeper-person.... Look at how purdy I ammm....." XD
Looking forward to pics!


In the hobby for 9 years.
Betta Slave is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ScuitoAmi150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
Hah, really? My bettas pose for me... like, "Ooh, mom-fish-keeper-person.... Look at how purdy I ammm....." XD
Looking forward to pics!
Lol, some bettas really love to pose! Axel sure does.

Males:
Dragner - lavender/red cambodian SpT
Cromwell - dragon CT
Girls:
Duff - green CT
ScuitoAmi150 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome