glass/ghost shrimp care? - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Terranariko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada,N.B
Posts: 268
glass/ghost shrimp care?

I have some questions about glass and ghost shrimp...how do you feed them? like I know waffers but how many times a day? a few times a week? what?

And are they agressive towards each other? say if I got 5 with 2 males and 3 females...will they be agressive?

And are they agressive to other types of shrimp?

<3 My betta fish.
Bruteroot ><)))'> And Fruitroot ><)))'> (RIP) Berry >><))))'>
Terranariko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Member
 
wallywestisthebest333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Currently East Coast
Posts: 1,522
You should try re-creating this thread on the Betta fish Compatibility forum. =] You'll get more replys and advice in there. =]

I'm a girl! =]
Fish:
Firedrake<3
R.I.P.
Noface/Alakazam </3
Firefly </3
Genie </3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 10,951
Out of all the shrimp I have kept, I have found that the ghost shrimp are more aggressive to each other and often/known to eat their young.

Feeding-if they are in their own tank-I feed 1-2 times a week in very small amounts and if in a tank with other fish I don't feed them per se' as they are great scavengers and why I keep them.
Oldfishlady is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Terranariko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada,N.B
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Out of all the shrimp I have kept, I have found that the ghost shrimp are more aggressive to each other and often/known to eat their young.

Feeding-if they are in their own tank-I feed 1-2 times a week in very small amounts and if in a tank with other fish I don't feed them per se' as they are great scavengers and why I keep them.
So with my bettas I don't have to feed them? that seems...mean actually...should I still feed them a waffer every now and then just for a boost?

<3 My betta fish.
Bruteroot ><)))'> And Fruitroot ><)))'> (RIP) Berry >><))))'>
Terranariko is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 10,951
Sorry, I should have been more clear, with a single betta you would want to feed them at night when the lights go out a couple of times a week- because you should be removing uneaten food, but with the shrimp if you leave a pellet or two from the betta I would call them fed, they don't eat much and you don't want to foul the tank.
Oldfishlady is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Terranariko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada,N.B
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear, with a single betta you would want to feed them at night when the lights go out a couple of times a week- because you should be removing uneaten food, but with the shrimp if you leave a pellet or two from the betta I would call them fed, they don't eat much and you don't want to foul the tank.
So betta food is suitable for shrimp? I didn't know that...um...it's possible for me to give the shrimp a pellet each anyway...I'm just more worryed the betta is gonna try to steal it from them...

I'd still feel better giving them their own food...but I guess if thats what you do it seems to work.

ok then good to know.

<3 My betta fish.
Bruteroot ><)))'> And Fruitroot ><)))'> (RIP) Berry >><))))'>
Terranariko is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 10,951
I don't feed my shrimp that are in tanks with other fish due to them being scavengers and I want them to clean up any uneaten food, but the shrimp only tanks I will toss in a bit of my homemade food 1-2 times a week, nothing special, my tanks are also very heavy planted with soil substrate.
Any food should be fine due to them being scavengers, but nothing wrong in getting them their own food either, I seen that a new shrimp food has came out in the DrF&S catalog, haven't heard anything about it- good or bad.
Oldfishlady is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Terranariko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada,N.B
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I don't feed my shrimp that are in tanks with other fish due to them being scavengers and I want them to clean up any uneaten food, but the shrimp only tanks I will toss in a bit of my homemade food 1-2 times a week, nothing special, my tanks are also very heavy planted with soil substrate.
Any food should be fine due to them being scavengers, but nothing wrong in getting them their own food either, I seen that a new shrimp food has came out in the DrF&S catalog, haven't heard anything about it- good or bad.
ok, good to know that, I'm most likely gonna stick to them being scavangers...

<3 My betta fish.
Bruteroot ><)))'> And Fruitroot ><)))'> (RIP) Berry >><))))'>
Terranariko is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glass shrimp or Albino Cory? New2Betas Betta Fish Compatibility 2 01-02-2010 12:39 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome