Aquatic Plant problems - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
JamieTron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 641
Aquatic Plant problems

does anyone else have problems establishing plants in their aquarium??? seriously I must just suck at it because they always die on me

11 females
10 males








JamieTron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Member
 
wallywestisthebest333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Currently East Coast
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieTron View Post
does anyone else have problems establishing plants in their aquarium??? seriously I must just suck at it because they always die on me
Don't feel too bad. I tried to get a bulb to grow in mine and it molded ruining my tank. =[ It's in the process of de-bleaching for the week in the sun. =]

I'm a girl! =]
Fish:
Firedrake<3
R.I.P.
Noface/Alakazam </3
Firefly </3
Genie </3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
JamieTron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 641
*sigh* it just seems so much harder then I thought it was supposed to be lol I do have one fern that survived and another plant is kill trying to live anyways....*sigh*

Sorry about your moldly tank I wonder what happened to your plant.

11 females
10 males








JamieTron is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:13 AM
Member
 
1fish2fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,904
What plants do you have?

I've had pretty good success with my plants. My 10 gallon has eco-complete (well worth upgrading IMO) and a 15 watt fluorescent bulb (1.5 wpg). I have java fern, dwarf sag, corkscrew val, java moss, amazon sword, and apons.

My java fern is tied to a piece of driftwood and grows like mad. I've gotten over 10 babies off of it since I bought it in March. My dwarf sag grows really well too.

For planted plants I think good substrate is key, for tied or floating plants I think lighting and water quality play a big part in it.

*Be smart.. Do your research!!*[/COLOR][/FONT]
[/CENTER]

1fish2fish is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
JamieTron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
What plants do you have?

I've had pretty good success with my plants. My 10 gallon has eco-complete (well worth upgrading IMO) and a 15 watt fluorescent bulb (1.5 wpg). I have java fern, dwarf sag, corkscrew val, java moss, amazon sword, and apons.

My java fern is tied to a piece of driftwood and grows like mad. I've gotten over 10 babies off of it since I bought it in March. My dwarf sag grows really well too.

For planted plants I think good substrate is key, for tied or floating plants I think lighting and water quality play a big part in it.
Hey thanks for the reply,

I sadly don't know any of my plants I bought names beside I have a java fern that is struggling. I know they were all planted plants. I have a gravel substrate but I really wanna my my tank prettier and have been looking at a more fine substrate what do you think?

11 females
10 males








JamieTron is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Member
 
1fish2fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,904
Is the java fern planted? If so you need to get it out of the substrate. Java fern is one of those plants that needs to be tied to something with the roots exposed.

I think getting a better substrate can help. My dwarf sag is doing so much better in my tank with eco-complete than it is in my gravel tank. Eco-complete or Fluorite would be good choices. Personally I prefer the eco-complete because its more like gravel and easier to clean.

*Be smart.. Do your research!!*[/COLOR][/FONT]
[/CENTER]

1fish2fish is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
JamieTron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Is the java fern planted? If so you need to get it out of the substrate. Java fern is one of those plants that needs to be tied to something with the roots exposed.

I think getting a better substrate can help. My dwarf sag is doing so much better in my tank with eco-complete than it is in my gravel tank. Eco-complete or Fluorite would be good choices. Personally I prefer the eco-complete because its more like gravel and easier to clean.
Ohhhh okay it was anchored when I bought it so I assumed it should have been planted. So I should take it out of the substrate and allow the roots to be exposed? Okay I just went and did that Thanks for that tip

I shall check out those types of substrate I bought the tank but the light does not work in it, I think the hood is broken That could also be my problem. I took the top off to allow all the natural light from my window to come in but perhaps that is not enough.

11 females
10 males








JamieTron is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome