Rant thread - Page 1683 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Like Tree655Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16821 of 23881 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 AM
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post

1st: They stated that the bible says we shouldn't take care of ourselves before we take care of others. How are we going to help other people if we are living in a box?
Pretty sure that when I was in year 7 we actually had a class on a verse that said the opposite...wish I could remember what it was. But it was something along the lines of, you cannot help the hungry if you are starving yourself.

Life.
Bombalurina is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16822 of 23881 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 AM
Member
 
Shirleythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio, US
Posts: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Pretty sure that when I was in year 7 we actually had a class on a verse that said the opposite...wish I could remember what it was. But it was something along the lines of, you cannot help the hungry if you are starving yourself.
THANK YOU! I couldn't understand why we would have a lesson on something so stupid. Why would God want you to starve to death to feed others? That doesn't make sense of a kind and loving God.

Keep yourself clean and bright, for you are the window through which you must see the world.
George Bernard Shaw
Shirleythebetta is offline  
post #16823 of 23881 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 4,900
Haha we always said clean your own backyard before looking into your neighbor's.
The Bible wants people to live simply, I don't know a single person who does (except maybe that guy I saw on TV that gets all his meat from roadkill).
The Bible has a lot of good lessons, but it's all up to how you interpret it, which is what makes is so dangerous in the hands of a fool.
The thing that gets me is that most Christian religion isn't ready to change in our modern times. I mean even the Dalai Lama said, hey, if the Buddha said something and it is proven wrong by modern science, then it is wrong and we will adapt to the change. Something like that. Very agreeable guy he is, I'd say.. :p
Posted via Mobile Device
Shirleythebetta likes this.
Olympia is offline  
post #16824 of 23881 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 481
As to number two, may be offensive but it is true. I'm tired of having to wake up at 5 in the morning to go bust my hump for 8 hrs so I can send my daughter to private school because public education sucks and have my taxes used to pay for the schooling of another kid whose parents don't give a damn. I'm tired of seeing how these people are proud of living in the projects, have no work ethic, and make fun of the people, like me, who complain about the inequity of it all. Why should I have to work and have my money taken from me to give to someone who can't be bothered to lift a finger, who has a sense of entitlement and believes he is owed that? Newsflash hole from where feces comes out of, if it weren't for good, hard-working, honest people like me you would be starving in living in a cardboard box. Sorry but I do not want to be my brother's keeper. I am a rationally selfish creature and believe that I should get to keep what I work for.
Shirleythebetta likes this.
Freyja is offline  
post #16825 of 23881 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Member
 
Sparrowhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 490
As a person living on taxpayer money (full-time carer for my elderly grandmother) I'm extremely thankful for systems like this, and for those who work and fund people like me, trying to help their families when they need it. My only criticism of this system (the one in Australia) is the unemployment benefit, and how long people can get away with doing nothing and having no intention of getting into the workforce. I guess another criticism would be under-funding students. After my mum passed away and I was studying, my grandma and I often had to choose between bills and food. Why not push people able to work to get back to it, and fund those who really need it -- students, aged pensioners, people living with disabilities who are unable to work...? I still can't wait to be able to work and give back to the system that's saved my grandma an awful lot of grief (she's a very private person).

Sparrowhawk is offline  
post #16826 of 23881 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,607
The Australian welfare system is ridiculous. An unemployed person can get more from Centrelink than they could if they got a minimum-wage job, which is mostly what they are qualified for, so why work? And then students barely get enough to cover living expenses, certainly nothing to offset HECS or anything...unless of course they are Aboriginal. I have no problem with giving out an Indigenous supplement, but it isn't needs based. Indigenous students with nothing can claim it, which is great, but my Aboriginal friend could claim it, even though he makes about 5 times what I do in a year.

Rant: I do not know whether I have a class or not today because my lecturer is terrible at making things clear.

Life.
Bombalurina is offline  
post #16827 of 23881 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Member
 
Shirleythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio, US
Posts: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Haha we always said clean your own backyard before looking into your neighbor's.
The Bible wants people to live simply, I don't know a single person who does (except maybe that guy I saw on TV that gets all his meat from roadkill).
The Bible has a lot of good lessons, but it's all up to how you interpret it, which is what makes is so dangerous in the hands of a fool.
The thing that gets me is that most Christian religion isn't ready to change in our modern times. I mean even the Dalai Lama said, hey, if the Buddha said something and it is proven wrong by modern science, then it is wrong and we will adapt to the change. Something like that. Very agreeable guy he is, I'd say.. :p
Posted via Mobile Device
Even as a religious person. I agree with you. The bible was wrote over four thousand years ago and has been reinterpreted more times than we can count. When I read it I learn lesson but if something doesn't make sense I miff on. Such as the portion were Jesus says if a man divorces his h
Wife they must live alone for the rest of their lives. Also, even if the woman didn't want the divorce she would be and adultress for starting over. These are things people would have believed back then. Times change. It doesn't make sense we would have to live the exact same way they did thousands of years ago.

New rant-been sleeping way to much. Pms is coming, I have a bad toothache and I'm getting a cold.
Olympia likes this.

Keep yourself clean and bright, for you are the window through which you must see the world.
George Bernard Shaw
Shirleythebetta is offline  
post #16828 of 23881 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Member
 
Shirleythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio, US
Posts: 1,641
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
As to number two, may be offensive but it is true. I'm tired of having to wake up at 5 in the morning to go bust my hump for 8 hrs so I can send my daughter to private school because public education sucks and have my taxes used to pay for the schooling of another kid whose parents don't give a damn. I'm tired of seeing how these people are proud of living in the projects, have no work ethic, and make fun of the people, like me, who complain about the inequity of it all. Why should I have to work and have my money taken from me to give to someone who can't be bothered to lift a finger, who has a sense of entitlement and believes he is owed that? Newsflash hole from where feces comes out of, if it weren't for good, hard-working, honest people like me you would be starving in living in a cardboard box. Sorry but I do not want to be my brother's keeper. I am a rationally selfish creature and believe that I should get to keep what I work for.
I think what offended me the most was it implying that all Americans are lazy and don't want to work. I agree the welfare system caters mostly to mothers with multiple children a d multiple dads. I know girls who had kids so they could get free food and support. But that isn't the only problem
Program. Disability is ridiculous in this country. A girl in her twenties with depression can get disability but an eighty year old war vet needs a lawyer to help him.

I was offended by them basically stating only America has issues
Like this. Many countries could use reform. I don't appreciate an American university implying we are all lazy trash who want free money.

Keep yourself clean and bright, for you are the window through which you must see the world.
George Bernard Shaw
Shirleythebetta is offline  
post #16829 of 23881 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Member
 
Shirleythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio, US
Posts: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
The Australian welfare system is ridiculous. An unemployed person can get more from Centrelink than they could if they got a minimum-wage job, which is mostly what they are qualified for, so why work? And then students barely get enough to cover living expenses, certainly nothing to offset HECS or anything...unless of course they are Aboriginal. I have no problem with giving out an Indigenous supplement, but it isn't needs based. Indigenous students with nothing can claim it, which is great, but my Aboriginal friend could claim it, even though he makes about 5 times what I do in a year.

Rant: I do not know whether I have a class or not today because my lecturer is terrible at making things clear.
Our native americans can go to school for free and still receive a fat check. I could have went to school for free because I am just part native American. I chose not to because I don't believe in that kind of thing. I believe this is part of the reason racism still exists. The acknowledgement that we are different and deserve different treatment. One native guy got a million and instead of going to school he used it up buying crap and partying.

Keep yourself clean and bright, for you are the window through which you must see the world.
George Bernard Shaw
Shirleythebetta is offline  
post #16830 of 23881 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,677
hmph
Why must people be rude, insulting and ignorant?
*sigh*

Brace Yourself.....Winter Is Coming
75 gallon Angel Paradise Updates:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...gallon-220330/
Fluval Spec V Steel crowntail betta, 3 zebra danios,
Fluval Spec V - unnamed dumbo plaket betta, 3 zebra danios
FishyFishy89 is offline  
Reply

Tags
bettathanyou

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rant! Alexanderismylife Betta Chat 7 07-01-2010 02:17 PM
Rant CodeRed The Lounge 15 06-15-2010 08:17 PM
OMG I can't take this anymore *A Rant* Zenandra The Lounge 4 06-11-2010 04:47 PM
Arg! (A rant) vaygirl The Lounge 7 06-09-2010 08:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome