I <3 Horses Thread - Page 4 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Member
 
GunsABlazin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I used to have a horse. I miss her a lot. She was deemed crazy, partially due to past abuse. Between that and a horrible skin condition that made her very uncomfortable I made the decision to have her humanely euthanized instead of selling her off to be a broodmare, or worse, dog food. At least she had a good life with me. Then my family also had a couple of very old Arabians that eventually coliced (due to age). Ah, every time I deal with horses it ends up a tragedy it seems. :/

On the other hand, I was very interested in natural horse keeping. No shoes, no forceful methods. So I like to think the horses that came and died with us had peaceful final days. Some day I will have a horse again, but that will be many years from now.

That equine expression...Sweetie has that look all the time lets see if i can find a picture of that face...
DSC02570.jpg
:D
O.o out horses look alot like....

Betta-less at the moment :(


"Some people are like slinkies... completely useless. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

I is GaB. Blessed Be. (GaB is a girl)
GunsABlazin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 10,782
Kyt, she was a beautiful mare and if she was abused, the best person she could be with was someone who believed in natural horsekeeping. I think you would be a great horse rehabilitator for abused horses.
Sakura8 is offline  
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 AM
New Member
 
OrvillesSlave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 32
Kykattin I commend you on your decision to euthanize your horse instead of selling her off to her fate. I see so many horses on craigslist that if loved would findthe same peaceful ending. Unfortunately, people aren't always responsible.

I am a bit leery about the natural horsemanship. Some horses do have great feet. My little mare has been barefoot her whole life. However, in my experience I have seen horses that need corrective shoeing in order to have a comfortable life. Sometimes horses just have weak hoof walls and in other cases corrective shoeing has improved horses with club feet or have suffered from a severe case of founder. Some horses just don't have good hardy feet and need shoes in order to stay comfortable. No matter how natural we try to make their life it cannot be compared to how they truly live in the wild.

In addition, I'm obviously against abusive methods of training, but in more than one case, horses need consequences. They are too large of animals for them to believe that they are in charge. Just like in the wild there is the alpha mare that keeps things running smoothly. In the owner/horse relationship the owner must be that alpha mare who is the leader.

Unfortunately, there are extremes of both ways of working with a horse. It's so unfortunate that your little mare suffered abuse. She was one lucky mare to find you.

Last edited by OrvillesSlave; 11-21-2011 at 10:13 AM.
OrvillesSlave is offline  
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Member
 
GunsABlazin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I love Percherons. Charlie is amazing. Genuine April is a gorgeous color. I think my favorite color is bay.
Charlie is a Doll...but he can be such a jerk sometimes! he is 18hh and 2500lbs of horse...and he rarely uses that to his advantage.
here are some better pics, he is perrty isnt he?
37951_413030762170_817157170_4413118_3993399_n.jpg

303202_276170505729186_100000087151313_1131265_40038562_n.jpg

32487_116004888444712_100001056055920_93867_1418666_n.jpg
Lol, just so you know what you can do with 1 ton of horse flesh...i drive him through all kinds of patterns, do gaming in cart and have started gaming him under saddle...omg when he decided to do the barrel pattern right....haha i got like 25second run once XD
32487_116005628444638_100001056055920_93876_1510384_n.jpg
And, a picture of the filly at a year old.

Betta-less at the moment :(


"Some people are like slinkies... completely useless. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

I is GaB. Blessed Be. (GaB is a girl)
GunsABlazin is offline  
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Member
 
Kytkattin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrvillesSlave View Post
Kykattin I commend you on your decision to euthanize your horse instead of selling her off to her fate. I see so many horses on craigslist that if loved would findthe same peaceful ending. Unfortunately, people aren't always responsible.

I am a bit leery about the natural horsemanship. Some horses do have great feet. My little mare has been barefoot her whole life. However, in my experience I have seen horses that need corrective shoeing in order to have a comfortable life. Sometimes horses just have weak hoof walls and in other cases corrective shoeing has improved horses with club feet or have suffered from a severe case of founder. Some horses just don't have good hardy feet and need shoes in order to stay comfortable. No matter how natural we try to make their life it cannot be compared to how they truly live in the wild.

In addition, I'm obviously against abusive methods of training, but in more than one case, horses need consequences. They are too large of animals for them to believe that they are in charge. Just like in the wild there is the alpha mare that keeps things running smoothly. In the owner/horse relationship the owner must be that alpha mare who is the leader.

Unfortunately, there are extremes of both ways of working with a horse. It's so unfortunate that your little mare suffered abuse. She was one lucky mare to find you.
Most people I have talked to have agreed with my decision. You can kind of see in the picture her bumpy skin. This was in spring, before she would lose all her hair and just rub against everything because she was so itchy. Nothing worked. The steroids would make her comfortable for about a month, but she couldn't have them very often or it would mess up her feet (among other things). Also, she really only was safe for me. She would try to kick and attack other people. Even then, she wasn't really "safe" for me. I just knew how to deal with her and put her back in her place so she would calm down for a little while. There were a few close calls for me too!

I too have seen some horses that absolutely need shoes. If she needed them, yes, I would have used them. I just was not interested in putting shoes on her when I didn't think she needed them. I would have bought those little boots if there was any hope of taking her anywhere.

Because of her, I am certainly not all love and hugs with horse training. Haha. I did have to keep her in her place. I just tried to do it in a way she would understand. And it worked! Sort of. I think I would have had a lot more success with a horse that didn't have all the problems she did. I did have some success. I taught her how to run, not pace. She let me touch her face and ears, pick up all her feet (and not bite me!).

Sakura8: Thanks! I do know she was the happiest with me.

GunsABlazin: Yes they do! Though I know in my picture it meant she was paying attention to something else...



Remember that the tank your fish lives in is his or her's whole world. Ask yourself this question, and answer it honestly: would you choose to live there?
Kytkattin is offline  
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 10,782
Guns: Charlie is so elegant under harness! I love draft horses, they're just big beauties. The filly is adorable. Yearling is such a neat age, when they start looking like horses but still have that cute foal look. :)
Sakura8 is offline  
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 PM
New Member
 
OrvillesSlave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Most people I have talked to have agreed with my decision. You can kind of see in the picture her bumpy skin. This was in spring, before she would lose all her hair and just rub against everything because she was so itchy. Nothing worked. The steroids would make her comfortable for about a month, but she couldn't have them very often or it would mess up her feet (among other things). Also, she really only was safe for me. She would try to kick and attack other people. Even then, she wasn't really "safe" for me. I just knew how to deal with her and put her back in her place so she would calm down for a little while. There were a few close calls for me too!

I too have seen some horses that absolutely need shoes. If she needed them, yes, I would have used them. I just was not interested in putting shoes on her when I didn't think she needed them. I would have bought those little boots if there was any hope of taking her anywhere.

Because of her, I am certainly not all love and hugs with horse training. Haha. I did have to keep her in her place. I just tried to do it in a way she would understand. And it worked! Sort of. I think I would have had a lot more success with a horse that didn't have all the problems she did. I did have some success. I taught her how to run, not pace. She let me touch her face and ears, pick up all her feet (and not bite me!).
I definitely wish there were more horse owners in the world like you who put their horse's well being first. It breaks my heart when I see a 35 year old, three legged lame horse in the auction ring...just pitiful.

I understand what you mean. That is quite a bit of success with an abused and dangerous horse. I just just added a thing of warning previously because unfortunately being around the horse industry in my region as well as the world of forums there are a lot of people that take natural horse ownership to a dangerous extreme.

Looks like you did a lovely good rehabilitating your mare (Standardbred?). Do you plan on getting anymore horses in the future?
OrvillesSlave is offline  
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:49 AM
Member
 
Kytkattin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrvillesSlave View Post
I definitely wish there were more horse owners in the world like you who put their horse's well being first. It breaks my heart when I see a 35 year old, three legged lame horse in the auction ring...just pitiful.

I understand what you mean. That is quite a bit of success with an abused and dangerous horse. I just just added a thing of warning previously because unfortunately being around the horse industry in my region as well as the world of forums there are a lot of people that take natural horse ownership to a dangerous extreme.

Looks like you did a lovely good rehabilitating your mare (Standardbred?). Do you plan on getting anymore horses in the future?
My parents donate to a rescue that buys as many of those horses as they can so they can be humanely euthanized. They also have free clinics once a month for people to put their horses down. I am so glad that they exist, even if they are only able to help a small portion of those will used animals. I think they are called Horse+? Not sure though.

It seems as though everything is taken to some extreme. It just sucks because it makes me not want to say that I am interested in natural horsemanship. Gives us a bad name!

Yes, she was a Standardbred. She was trained to race before she was injured. I don't even want to know how that happened. Before I got her I know she kicked a farrier 10ft. Right now I am not at a place where I could own a horse, and I just don't know where life will take me. I hope to have another, but I want to be financially stable. Not a starving artist/college student.



Remember that the tank your fish lives in is his or her's whole world. Ask yourself this question, and answer it honestly: would you choose to live there?
Kytkattin is offline  
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Member
 
GunsABlazin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 909
The bay mare above mine?
Mine is a standerdbred also! :D

Betta-less at the moment :(


"Some people are like slinkies... completely useless. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

I is GaB. Blessed Be. (GaB is a girl)
GunsABlazin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
horses anybody? BlueEyedBettaBoy The Lounge 8 06-22-2011 08:11 PM
Help with Horses! Betta Slave The Lounge 35 07-28-2010 09:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome