Small amounts of chocolate will not harm your dog, but it is advised not to give any. While chocolate is rarely FATAL (deadly) to a dog, there are many other negatives that could happen. Vomitting is the most common, but also seizures, heart issues, etc can easily happen as well. None of which are good.
It would generally take 50-80oz of milk chocolate to kill an 80lb dog. It would take 15-25oz of semisweet chocolate to kill an 80lb dog. It would only take 5-8oz of baker's chocolate to kill an 80lb dog. It is very rare white chocolate will kill a dog as there are only small amounts of cocoa, but can easily lead to heart problems and seizures.
It isn't the chocolate itself, but the cocoa.
So what everyone has told you is absolutely correct. To keep your dog healthy, never feed chocolate! Even white chocolate.
Also, in certain dogs, it may take much less to be fatal... It tends to vary on the dog itself. Better safe than sorry..
Kaida- CT Female 2.5 Gal.
Julep- HMPK Male 2.5 Gal.
Fandango-HM Male 10 Gal.