Betta Fish Forum banner

How many do you have??

4K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  Beckwithbabe 
#1 ·
Just curious as to how many bettas people have?
What size tanks (No judgement allowed! Please be polite)? Im just curious because it will help me get an idea of the work load involved in multiple bettas...
Are they filtered?
How often do you provide water changes and what %?
Feel free to share pics too, I always love to see pics :)

Im thinking of setting up a 5 gal as a long term winter project but i cant decide if I really want to take on a 3rd betta. I have extra mosses I decided to not add to my current tanks and a few extra plants so I cant help but think it would be a good use of my extra tank and plants.

Id like to cycle the tank, heavily plant it and add one betta and some shrimps eventually.

Thanks everyone!

#29 ·
As of nearly two weeks ago I have a single male betta spledens who has various deformities. He lives in 7gal heated, planted aquarium that also houses a cycled filter and multiple species of snail. He's called Red (for the lack of a more original name), here is a photo of him (please excuse the blue ring, I used that to feed him while he was on flakes to stop them floating everywhere, I should take it out now that he eats pellets):

His aquarium is a bit of a root jungle at the moment; I've had some plant dieback due to negligence on my part and I'm also battling some string algae issues so fertilizers aren't being introduced for a while. Photoperiod has been dropped too. I do a single 50% water change once a week.

I also have a 4gal aquarium that only houses a few snails; it housed my elderly betta, Kaze, until he passed away and is heated, filtered and cycled. I've been adding plant clippings gradually, trying to get it at least somewhat decently planted but inspiration is lacking. Getting a little anxious to put another animal in there but don't really know what. I do a 50% water change on it per week at the moment to make sure water quality stays good for the snails (one assassin snail and lots of bladder, Malaysian trumpet and ramshorn snails).

I used to have immense issues with water changes due to an illness I've had for eight and a half years; water changes still take a lot of strength out of me but they are much simpler and quicker now that I use a squeeze-activated aquarium siphon. It's funny how a simplistic £3 item can make your aquatic world so much more enjoyable and relaxing.

#30 ·
I only have one~ He is a halfmoon in a three gallon tank. He is not filtered only because I have heard bad things about halfmoons and filters. I do my water changed on a two week scale: 100% on Saturday, 25% on Wednesday, 50% on Saturday, 25% on Wednesday then back to 100%.

I am kind of like you. I want another fish but I am a little worried about the work, especially since I am in college. However there is this BEAUTIFUL little female at petco, and I am so scared she is going to die there. She is still doing fine at the moment, even though it has been a week since I last saw her, and I just...ugh. I tried to get my friend to buy her (even offered to pay) but alas, it was no good. So...the debate in my mind goes on. XD

#32 · (Edited)
Just one male halfmoon betta in a 3.5 gallon tank, two 50% changes each week. It's filtered - you can see the canister in the back, wish I'd thought better of how to hide it. I'm thinking of getting some Anubias petite to put on top of the rocks.

Edit: I really want to get a second tank with either wilds or an HMPK male, but since I'm in my final year of uni and going for a masters degree plus internship directly after, I may not have the time required for upkeep :(

#36 ·
I might put in a solid-coloured background, that's a good idea, Aokashi :)

Technically, if I were to buy new, longer tubing, I could put the filter underneath the table, but the filter's instruction manual says to place it at the same level as the base of the tank. I'm not entirely sure if this is necessary, because I've seen some people with the exact same model of filter doing the opposite of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.