Betta Fish Forum banner

royal blue/black HM male and turquoise/black HM female

10K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  Araielle 
#1 ·
Placed a sibling pair in spawn tank a few days ago after conditioning on frozen BS for 2 weeks. The female showed no interest and i was worried that she needed food so i fed her in the spawn tank with pellets. she ate but he ignored the pellets and just kept doing his dance. came home from errands and found eggs in the nest. he is now tending the nest like a good dad. the female is back in her sorority. both have a little torn fins but not too bad.

i had a hard time getting pics as usual so here are some bad ones. ill try and get some better ones later. the fish are from a local breeder and are much better then my last spawn as far as quality goes. i hope the eggs hatch.

my goal for this spawn is to start a melano line.

See less See more
#28 ·
I just let algae be there :lol: my fry love to nom it as do the delicious critters (daphnia, infusoria etc)

#29 ·
a little over 3 weeks. still struggling with the brown algae problem. its not so bad because at least it doesnt seem to affect the frys health. id like to leave it but then i wouldnt be able to see the fish at all if i let it go for a few weeks.

i guess ill have to go with a second tub then since the npt grow out might be difficult. just got to find another table to put the on so i can siphon.

i really need to get a better camera. my phone just isnt good enough. thinking about a canon t3i. anyone got any suggestions on cameras?

#30 ·
Canon T3i definitely. the older versions are not bad either. I actually have a Canon PowerShot SX240 HS

#31 ·
about a month now. i have an outbreak of ich in the tank above this. im watching the fry carefully. hoping ich wont reach this tank. i have been trying to add some decaps with the brine shrimp feeding. dont know if its working yet.

on another note i found out they will be opening a petsmart in a town 20 miles from me. that will be the only petsmart on the island. hoping they will have nice bettas... hmm that would be bad and good. =)

excuse the cat hair in the first pic... haha

#34 ·
it is a month and 2 weeks. they seem to be on the small side but steadily growing. they are finally starting to eat decaps so hopefully i can stop hatching brine shrimp in about a week.

i will probably separate the spawn into 3 tanks in the next week or so. that should help with the growth. (10 gal, 15 gal and a 15 gal tub)

#38 · (Edited)
i had trouble with this spawn. 3 things.
1. i was over feeding bbs. led to some fish with sbd. culled those. approx 30.
2. water was too cold. 72F at night. 76F day. slow growth. got heaters. set 80F.
3. i believe the decap bs was going bad. more slow growth and some fish die. switched them to hikari first bites. then hikari guppy pellets. and now hikari micro pellets.

problems solved. fish growing. about 70 left.

will update pics when i have time.

#43 ·
ugh just when i thought things were going good for this spawn. i was cleaning the tank and saw velvet on some fish. they look healthy other then that. i am treating with coppersafe and salt. also covering the tank with a towel to block out light.

i put in 1 tsp salt/ 1 gallon water. normally i would put 2 so its half dose.
i put in 3 tsp coppersafe. its a 15 gal tank and its about 13 gallons full i think. the label says 1 tsp for 4 gallons so not quite the full dose. if anything ill add a 1/4 tsp more tmr if the fish look ok.

#44 ·
Oh geeze... well they looked good in the previous photos! Hope the velvet clears up, would love to see them as adults!

#46 ·
looks like they have recovered from velvet without losing any. i am crossing my fingers. yesterday i added another 1/4 tsp to make it a full dose of coppersafe. my 15gal is not all the way full. they already look good but i will leave them in the coppersafe for another day.

then i will watch them for another week and if all is good move them to a 55gal for grow out and see what happens.

#49 ·
they grew to adults. but I was not happy with results. had only a few keepers. some had the rose tail bad scaling. dorsal was too narrow

I liked one of the marbles so I kept her and out crossed to a blue grizzle male I had with less branching but has dt gene to improve dorsal. they are only half inch atm so cant tell what they will look like.

here I learned that the female has so much to do with the final look. male seems to have a big effect on branching and shape of body.

#50 ·
hi I read most of your post here with your last post it make me wonder way were you looking for at first I though you were trying to get black because both male n female show strong black I would have look for a copper or marble to add to the mix but that just me I love how the fry were looking too ^_^ well good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.