Betta Fish Forum banner

Growing algae and pH question

921 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  shellieca 
#1 ·
Hey folks I have two not so related questions, but I haven't been able to find the exact answers per se on the internets :)

So I have my cycled tank with an otocinclus. He rapidly cleared my tank but takes algae pellets readily and is fat and seems quite content. I have been growing algae on some smooth rocks in a shallow dish on my windowsill, but I was wondering if that yucky green water in the dish will help "seed" my tank with more algae. I could definitely pour some of it in every couple of days. I would love to get him a few friends, but not until I can provide some more natural food for them.

Next question, I have been aging (boiling and soaking it in new water) this chunk of driftwood for over a month down and got its pH in a 5 gal bucket to 6.6-6.8-ish so I finally put it in the tank this evening after a water change. So my tap water is 7.0 and I was worried that in subsequent water changes that the difference may cause issues. Is the pH difference a big deal, or so long as I do smaller wc things will be ok? I've had lil'dude for 6 weeks now and I would hate to loose him, plus hopefully some more oto friends in the future.

I have the API freshwater test kit and check my parameters every other day now, will go down to every 3 days or so after month 2 passes. Anyhoo.. I am just an avid learner of the ways of fish keeping so all advice, etc is much appreciated! Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure I understand your questions so bear with me here . . . I would put the rocks with algae in the tank not the water, I don't think the yuck water will do much if anything to "seed" your tank with algae, I could be wrong. You will probably have to continue "making" your own algae in a side dish unless you put your tank in front of window that gets sunlight. As for the Ph, are you trying to lower it? If you're doing regular weekly water changes then it should stay stable which is what you want. You don't want it to drop too low because that can cause cycling problems even in a fully cycled tank. There's not enough of a difference, IMO, to cause problems with your fish.

#3 ·
Sorry to be confusing.

Question #1 -would the green water help seed more algae into my tank?

#2 -will the difference in the tank water pH=6.6-ish and tap water 7.0 cause issues when doing water changes?

I do put the algae covered rocks in the tank until he cleans them off, then exchange the clean rock for a new scummy one :)

Hope that clarifies! Thanks again :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.