Betta Fish Forum banner

New Member Here in Thailand

926 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  LebronTheBetta 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm an American who's currently living and working in Bangkok. I'm no stranger to keeping aquariums, and have done so for many years while I was growing up and going to college in California. Here in Bangkok, my girlfriend recently surprised me for my birthday with a fish tank full of guppies and platies. It was a great gift, but that led to my immediate purchase of a larger tank, filter, some cory cats, and live plants because there was no room for all those fish crammed in a little area.

I set up my little tank and was thinking about maybe keeping some red cherry shrimp or raising some baby platies, but last night I saw a man selling bettas, or pla gat (biting fish) as they're called here, from a motorcycle. Over here in Thailand, bettas are bred for battle, and I figured if i didn't get this pretty little guy he'd probably be battled to death for some drunken gambling.

I honestly never had much interest in bettas living in the USA, as most of the fish I'd see would just dwell at the bottom of their bowl and hardly move. Perhaps that's because it was too cold, because my betta's very spry and active, although he's still easily spooked if I make a quick movement near his tank.

I'm glad to be part of this forum, and would live to learn more about these fish that have recently peaked my interest. Being in Thailand, I'm certain the weather and environment around is optimal for raising an breeding them.

I'll try to attach some photos of my fish.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome & congrats on your pretty boy. He looks like he either has a little fin rot or has had his fins nipped. Clean water will be the best medicine for him. Watch him with the other fish as he could be aggressive or they could be aggressive towards him. Make sure his water is 76-80F, he has plenty of hiding spots & plants real or silk & he should be a happy camper.

#3 ·
Thanks for the tips. Considering he was living cramped in an old coke bottle when I bought him I wouldn't be surprised if he's got fin rot or anything else. One thing I don't need to worry about here in Bangkok is cold water, as it's always sweltering in my condo. I've had him about 24 hours now and he's a curious guy, happily swimming about in his new home. After work tomorrow I'll pick up an aquatic plant and build some hiding places for him. I have him all alone for now, so I'm not worried about nippers. Perhaps I'll introduce a little algae eater or shrimp to see how they do together, and if it doesn't work out they'll go into the big tank and he'll remain alone.

#5 ·
Hola, and welcome to the forum. :)
My parents went to Thailand when I we were visiting my home country, I wish I went with them. -_- But that was before I met bettas anyway. lol Remember to read all the stickies and enjoy your stay!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.