Betta Fish Forum banner

Introducing Myself

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Hershey 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, just joined the forum, but I've been lurking around for the last couple of days. :p
So off to introducing myself. My name is Eric and I live in sunny Anaheim, CA. (Why yes that's where Disneyland is.) My primary hobby at this point is gardening. But I don't grow just any plants. I grow carnivorous plants :cool: (Not so lame-sounding now is it.) I grow venus flytraps, pitcher plants, sundews, and all that good stuff. I recently got back into aquarium keeping after I cleaned out and redid my family's neglected 50 gallon guppy tank, which only had 5 survivors :(. It is now stocked with Platys, Mollys, Zebra Danios, African Dwarf Frogs, and the remaining guppies. I never really took an interest in bettas until quite recently when I was at my LFS looking for new fish for my tank and I laid my eyes on quite possibly the most beautiful betta I have seen thus far. A red and white Dumbo betta with a halfmoon style tail and butterfly coloring. I was quite tempted to purchase it, but I was unsure of how it'd do in my 50 gallon community tank and I didn't want to keep it in a cramped bowl. This was also coupled with the fact that it was a rather hefty (for me at least) $10. So I went home and I thought I'd get over it, but no such thing ever happened. All I could ever think about was that betta, heck I even had a dream about it. Next thing I knew I was staying up until midnight in bed on a nightly basis reading about bettas on my iPhone. Now here I am. :lol: I'm still hoping to get that betta the next time I stop by that LFS. But for now i thought I'd catch up on my research first for the time being.

Haha, TL;DR much.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome!!
When I was little I used to go to the butterfly museum in my hometown in florida where they had venus fly traps. Every time I'd leave after seeing them I'd have nightmares. haha!
Its really cool that you keep them though! I've always been really interested in them after all those nightmares!!

And I'm also glad you are doing your research! I really hope that betta is there when/if you go back for him!

If you have any specific questions ask away!

#6 ·
Depends on what your water flow is and who the other inhabitants are. Bettas can be community fish if they are kept with peaceful species that will not nip at their fins. You don't want to put them in with barbs or chiclids.

#9 ·
Depends on what your water flow is and who the other inhabitants are. Bettas can be community fish if they are kept with peaceful species that will not nip at their fins. You don't want to put them in with barbs or cichlids.
The water flow comes from an Aquatech filter that's rated for 30-60 gallon tanks. As far as surface agitation goes there is little in the center of the tank and none on the sides. And the fish that are currently stocked in there are 5 balloon mollies, 5 red platys, a school of 6 zebra danios, 5 guppies, and 4 african dwarf frogs. Anyone think a betta can do well in this tank? Please note, I have not observed the danios in the tank harassing any of the other fish, and they tend to stay in the midsection of the tank.

@eatmice
LOL

#10 ·
Welcome to ze fourm. -glasses adjust-

But really. Welcome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.