I stumbled upon this site while hunting for ways to entertain my fishes and it seemed great so I joined up!!
I have a small, independent betta rescue going on in my tiny apartment (fish tanks everywhere!!) and have re-fallen in love with the little guys. I got a betta when I was about nine (Simon) and he lived four years before going to the great pond in the sky. Didn't have another one until a few months ago when my best friend wanted to "just look" at the bettas in walmart. We each got one. I couldn't stand how bad off they were in their dirty water filled tiny cups so I'd always avoided looking at them until that night. My fish, Killian (a gorgeous red), was barely alive when I brought him home and was so eaten up with ich that I just thought he had speckles. After I nursed him back to health I got my "must save all things!!" fever going and started a rescue for the sick and injured bettas of walmart that are just put up on a "don't sell" shelf and left to die.
I've currently got thirteen male bettas (and a very understanding boyfriend) and am about to relocate one of them to a new home! My first rescue!! I'm very excited.
Anyway, that's enough jabbering, I'll tell you about the fishes and leave it at that!! They're mostly in 1 gallon tanks, sadly, because that's what's available. I work at a restaurant that gets vinaigrette in 1 gallon jugs so all the employees started saving them for me to use for tanks when they found out what I was doing. :) I've had a few other tanks donated to me so some got fancy digs.
- Killian, solid red, 3 gallon tank
- Murdoch, blue, 1 gallon tank
- Black Beard (named by the boyfriend), black with yellow tail, 1 gallon tank
- Shepherd Book, blue, 2.5 (ish) gallon tank
- Ander, blue, 1 gallon tank
- Todd, (named for Big Head Todd and the Monsters, as his head is huge), solid white (not albino) crown tail, 2.5 gallon tank
- Jewel, red, 1 gallon tank
- Reaver, black with scarlet fins, crowntail, 1 gallon tank
- Lipton, blue with clear fins tipped in blue, says he's a double tail, his tank is a 1 gallon old fashioned glass tea jug, the kind with the spout, easy water changes!!
- Charlie, blue with yellow ventral fins, 1 gallon tank
- Wednesday, blue, 1 gallon tank
- Trig, blue, 1 gallon tank
- Kerry King, blue, 1 gallon tank
Trig and Ander were supposedly crowntails but they don't look to be. They aren't veiltails though. Not sure what they are. Oh and everyone has a snail to keep their tanks tidy.
So yeah, HIYA!!!