Molly or betta? - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 03:09 AM
Member
 
xShainax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Glens Falls NY
Posts: 4,686
My mollies were evil especially my black molly. I wasn't sad at all when they died

Open your eyes
Now is the time
To rise up
With darkness we'll still shine
xShainax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Member
 
Pataflafla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lake Havasu, Arizona
Posts: 1,938
Funny. The male molly was talking about was a black one.

Unfortunately our Dalmatian male passed away unexpectedly from unknown causes. Our silver female had some sort of deficiency resulting in shakes, a curved spine, and difficulty swimming. she passed on her own while we were trying to correct her diet. We've had very good survival rates from the fry, all of which are the general orange molly. Their mother had to be put down because of an unknown illness though.

If you do want to get a molly or a few of them, be sure to get them from a good source. I'm sure you already know how to tell male from female due to your research, but always be prepared to have babies and a lot of them sometime within 3 months of buying a female. they're pretty much guaranteed pregnant when you buy them since they don't separate genders.

Mollies are also not such a good community fish. They harass a lot regardless of gender (Males more so though) and they do produce an ungodly amount of waste for a fish their size.

Platys however have some more spunk tot hem and do well with bettas. Raised a fry in our sorority tank and she acted like one of the girls. They do eat live plants, but nowhere near as bad as a molly does and they can make quite a mess. Overall, I think a platy or a group of them along with a sorority would be very good together as well as entertaining for you.
Pataflafla is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Member
 
xShainax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Glens Falls NY
Posts: 4,686
I sucessfully raised platy in the past but now they die every time I buy them

Open your eyes
Now is the time
To rise up
With darkness we'll still shine
xShainax is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Sheldon31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: AWOL
Posts: 575
I've found mollies to be worse in a community than any betta. They seem to harass other species to the point of death. My mother in law who I rescued Sid from had awful trouble with him where he harassed the balloon mollies to the point where 4 of them didn't come out ever, not even to eat and look like floating eyes because they are so malnourished and 2 actually died eventually. I took him because I couldn't see him terrorise them anymore and I new people who could take him willingly. He goes friday to a lady who breeds mollies and has room for a male. I actually said to people who wanted him I would only give him to people who had the correct ratio of male to female and no other tank mates.

Gone AWOL....
Sheldon31 is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Member
 
Crowntailed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
My mollies were evil especially my black molly. I wasn't sad at all when they died
Just because you didn't like them doesn't meen you should be happy they died.


I personaly like the black mollies, dont know why but i always likes how there so black and kinda look squishy
Crowntailed is offline  
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Member
 
xShainax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Glens Falls NY
Posts: 4,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntailed View Post
Just because you didn't like them doesn't meen you should be happy they died.


I personaly like the black mollies, dont know why but i always likes how there so black and kinda look squishy
Mine had a yellow like on his sail

Open your eyes
Now is the time
To rise up
With darkness we'll still shine
xShainax is offline  
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Member
 
Sheldon31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: AWOL
Posts: 575
Black mollies are very pretty, they look almost like black velvet I just don't like the personalities of them. They are sorta brutish. Shame because they can be so attractive.

Sid is bright white with a yellow tint to the tip of his dorsal. I called him Sid cause he reminds me of Sid Vicious and it fitted his brutish personality.

Gone AWOL....
Sheldon31 is offline  
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Member
 
xShainax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Glens Falls NY
Posts: 4,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon31 View Post
Black mollies are very pretty, they look almost like black velvet I just don't like the personalities of them. They are sorta brutish. Shame because they can be so attractive.

Sid is bright white with a yellow tint to the tip of his dorsal. I called him Sid cause he reminds me of Sid Vicious and it fitted his brutish personality.
Mine died of a broken heart. When my female dalmatian molly died he stopped eating and died

Open your eyes
Now is the time
To rise up
With darkness we'll still shine
xShainax is offline  
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Funny. The male molly was talking about was a black one.

Unfortunately our Dalmatian male passed away unexpectedly from unknown causes. Our silver female had some sort of deficiency resulting in shakes, a curved spine, and difficulty swimming. she passed on her own while we were trying to correct her diet. We've had very good survival rates from the fry, all of which are the general orange molly. Their mother had to be put down because of an unknown illness though.

If you do want to get a molly or a few of them, be sure to get them from a good source. I'm sure you already know how to tell male from female due to your research, but always be prepared to have babies and a lot of them sometime within 3 months of buying a female. they're pretty much guaranteed pregnant when you buy them since they don't separate genders.

Mollies are also not such a good community fish. They harass a lot regardless of gender (Males more so though) and they do produce an ungodly amount of waste for a fish their size.

Platys however have some more spunk tot hem and do well with bettas. Raised a fry in our sorority tank and she acted like one of the girls. They do eat live plants, but nowhere near as bad as a molly does and they can make quite a mess. Overall, I think a platy or a group of them along with a sorority would be very good together as well as entertaining for you.
Well I did just want to get one male and put him in in the 20 gallon all by himself. Then bullying and pregnancy wouldn't be a worry at all :). But from what I am hearing, they sound like little jerks, so now I'm still not sure.

Could I just get a single male platy?

5G - 1 betta: orange dalmatian VT male "Ty"
29G - 1 orange fantail goldfish "Goldeen"
finnfinnfriend is offline  
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Member
 
xShainax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Glens Falls NY
Posts: 4,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Well I did just want to get one male and put him in in the 20 gallon all by himself. Then bullying and pregnancy wouldn't be a worry at all :). But from what I am hearing, they sound like little jerks, so now I'm still not sure.

Could I just get a single male platy?
It's better to get at least three platy's. They are group fish

Open your eyes
Now is the time
To rise up
With darkness we'll still shine
xShainax is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First time molly breeder. Need help identifying possible pregnant molly. optimusprimesgurl Other Fish 6 04-05-2012 06:52 PM
Betta with molly jmtriro01 Betta Fish Compatibility 5 07-07-2010 07:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome